council tax passed to bailiffs no liability oreder received..

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4367 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

When i received my council tax bill for 2012/13 i noticed that the total outstanding for other financial years had gone up £800 from last years £400 to this years £1152.82 bearing in mind my entire bill for 2011 was only(?) £912.67 and according to my bank statements ive paid them £600 so things dont add up there..anyway im going to send them a sar and get that sorted.. (do i just amend the one in the library?)

However when i went to the council offices to try and sort this out as i was convinced i couldnt possibly owe them that amount, the lady i saw acted as if it was a pesonal slight on her that i owed this money.. i dont think bullyish is too strong a word! She told me there was nothing they could do as the account had been passed to bailiffs, she also said "it doesnt matter if you didnt get the 14 days notice letter as long as we sent it out" at this point i was unaware of their legal obligation to inform me my account was being passed to bailiffs, strange she should mention me not getting the letter, when i hadn't mentioned it! i sat there virtually in tears as she rang through to reception for the number of said bailiffs, so i could ring them to "sort out payment", whist on the phone, as i waited and worried and was visbly upset, she and the receptionist discussed some day out they were going on and how she would have to get up at 6.30 a.m to do her nails!!!

I wondered if ther was any action i should take about not having received the liability order and this womans attitude?

thanks in advance

Karen

cap one - prelim letter sent 23/8 £460 owed

partial refund, now sod off letter received 6/9

lba 5/10, claim served 30th jan,

CAP ONE SETTLED IN FULL 15thTH FEB!!!

lloyds card services - prelim sent 23/8 £332 owed

sod off rerceived 25/9

lba 26/9

claim issued via mcol 13/10

awaiting papers from SC&M

court date set for 26th March

nat west - Data Protection Act sent 11/7.. non compliance.. considering court action.

non compliance letter sent 29/8 giving them a further 7 days- gave them loads more days!!

5/10 lba sent for pre action disclosure

settled in full 2.1.07

cahoot - Data Protection Act sent 7/8 on hold for a while

Tesco - prelim sent 6/10 £200 owed

....i sat there virtually in tears as she rang through to reception for the number of said bailiffs, so i could ring them to "sort out payment", whist on the phone, as i waited and worried and was visbly upset, she and the receptionist discussed some day out they were going on and how she would have to get up at 6.30 a.m to do her nails!!!

I wondered if ther was any action i should take about not having received the liability order and this womans attitude?

thanks in advance

Karen

If I was in your position I would emphasise to the council that there is no law saying you must deal with the bailiff and that it is the council's responsibility and they should deal with your enquiry. I would contact them repeatedly until they accepted responsibility and looked into the matter. I would escalate the matter to a formal complaint if they continued refusing to take any action.

That's for a start anyway.......

hiya

thanks for your prompt response outlawla... im going to SAR them, get all the facts and figures and then send a letter of complaint....

thanks again

karen

cap one - prelim letter sent 23/8 £460 owed

partial refund, now sod off letter received 6/9

lba 5/10, claim served 30th jan,

CAP ONE SETTLED IN FULL 15thTH FEB!!!

lloyds card services - prelim sent 23/8 £332 owed

sod off rerceived 25/9

lba 26/9

claim issued via mcol 13/10

awaiting papers from SC&M

court date set for 26th March

nat west - Data Protection Act sent 11/7.. non compliance.. considering court action.

non compliance letter sent 29/8 giving them a further 7 days- gave them loads more days!!

5/10 lba sent for pre action disclosure

settled in full 2.1.07

cahoot - Data Protection Act sent 7/8 on hold for a while

Tesco - prelim sent 6/10 £200 owed

• 2 weeks later...

Hey,

in my experience, really really REALLY make a point of asking the council how the bailiffs fees are paid, now I believe they are an independant company employed by the LA to recover CT debts under a Liability Order, but my council pay the bailiffs fees first from any payments the CT payers make, I'm not sure they are allowed to do this ( and its one point I am wanting to fight with my LA)