• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

civil case - old business partner who was acting as a litigant

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3855 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi guys, new to the forum.

I'm looking for some information regarding the retraction of witness statements in a civil case.

I'm due in court next week to defend a claim over a business dispute.

I have been informed via a third party, that one of the claimants witnesses is considering retraction their statement as it was 'mostly compiled by the claimant and they are no longer comfortable with it's contents.'

The pre trial hearing has already been completed along with court bundles containing the statement.

I have been asked by the third party if there is a way out for the witness

Not to sure if i'ved posted this in the rigth section.

Regards

Chelsea Blue

Who is this third party?

I imagine the witness can do a supplemental statement explaining his true position and giving any correct evidence he may have.

From your perspective, if nothing is done before the hearing you need only ask the witness in cross examination whether he is confident in his evidence.

Hi asokn

The third party is a friend of my family and I think the witness now wants me to know, that he is not comfortable with his statement. I'm sure this a genuine attempt to remove himself from the case, as he is both a friend of the claimant and myself, and has foolishly got himself involved, probably after a pint or two down the pub with the claimant. As the case is rapidly approaching he now realisies the gravity of his actions and that he can be cross examined at the hearing.

I really don't think he wants to attend the hearing.

I see. It's an interesting point and I have to say I'm not aware of any formal procedure to deal with this circumstance. If he won't attend I think a supplemental statement explaining the position should suffice. Do make sure that he produces something signed with a statement of truth.

if witness is reluctant to attend, then they should let their party know. would then be for the party to decide whether to call or not, try to admit, or summon. if witness attends, then you would, as asokn says, attack his credibility (friendship aside). note though that other party may then wish to treat witness as 'hostile' depending on what transpires. depends on circumstances, and what weight witness is to the case etc.

Edited by Ford

Thanks asokn, that makes good sense to me. I will suggest via the third party, that a supplemental statement should be made including a statement of truth and then get him to urgently forward it to the court, myself and also to the claimant. It might upset the claimant but so what, it will teach him not to try and sway joint friends.

if witness is reluctant to attend, they should let their party know. would then be for the party to call or not, try to admit, or summon. if witness attends, then you would, as asokn says, attack his credibility (friendship aside). note though that other party may then wish to treat witness as 'hostile' depending on what transpires. depends on circumstances, and what weight witness is to the case etc.

I understand exactly what you are saying Ford. I personally don't think the witness bears much weight on the case anyway, but it's nice to think that one of his witnessess is having second thoughts. How do you think the judge will react to a retraction?

be careful if getting a statement, must not 'interfere' with a witness.

difficult to say. witness could make a prior further statement to their party accordingly. if w attends and is regarded as hostile, depending on what transpires eg if retraction/different statement, own party can xexam, then J can consider earlier statement as well as current and decide which to rely on on balance, or to disregard w completely. if w does not attend, or statement is not admitted (if they request that it be admitted, then you would object and request attendance for xexam if unfavourable), then it is not in issue.

Edited by Ford

be careful, must not 'interfere' with a witness.

difficult to say. if w attends and is regarded as hostile, depending on what transpires eg if retraction/different statement, then J can consider earlier statement as well as current and decide which to rely on on balance, or to disregard w completely. if w does not attend, or statement is not admitted (if they request that it be admitted, then you would object and request attendance for xexam if unfavourable), then it is not in issue.

Again, I understand what you are saying Ford. I'm pretty sure the witness won't attend and I'm also pretty sure he won't sign any affidavit, if that applies. So maybe, on balance, it's best left alone as you say do not 'interfere' with a witness.

• 6 months later...

Just a quick question regarding an outstanding debt over six years old.

If it was a personal debt, I understand if no payments or acknowledgments were made, then it would become statue barred.

But, if it was business debt (partnership) and again no payments or acknowledgments were made, would it also become statue barred?

What would the case be if only one partner agrees with the debt and acknowledges it, does it mean that it becomes active again for that partner only, from the day of acknowledgment, or for both partners?

If you are joint and severally liable then payment by one acknowledges the debt for the other.

Unfair IMO because it lets them have their cake and eat it.

There is another way and that is to offer them a sum to release you from your liability for the debt. 40% would be my starting point. (Bear in mind that, should the other party go bankrupt or AWOL, you will become liable for 100% otherwise).

Edited by Bandit127

Thanks for your reply Bandit.

No payments have been made by either partner so does the below apply then:-

Joint debts

If you have a debt that is in joint names with another person, this means your creditor can chase either or both of you for the full amount. You do not only owe 50% each.

If you think your joint debt might be statute barred, you need to check if the other person has made any payments. If they have made a payment within the limitation period, this means the time limit restarts again for both of you.

If the other person has not made any payments, but has admitted to the creditor that they owe the debt, the time limit will only restart for them.

• Confused 1

• 11 months later...

Having recently lost a civil case against a old business partner who was acting as a litigant, he thought he was going to get tens of thousands of pounds, but he was only awarded three thousand. Despite arranging for a cheque payment to be sent to him via my solicitor, he has not cashed it. I'm sure he has received it, but why would he not cash it?

The only reason I can think of is that he was so annoyed with the outcome, that he will deny ever receiving it and will inform the court that no payment was made, so as a CCJ will be registered against me and maybe send in the bailiffs as a final attempt to damage me.

Obviously I don't want a CCJ recorded, as payment was made shortly after judgement, well within 2 weeks.

Is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening?

You sent it via a legal entity so any issues are the claimants problem. Not yours.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Is there any possibility at all that it might not have been received ? Was it sent by a trackable method.

Perhaps the Solicitor could write on your behalf and ask why it has not been cashed ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

It is possible that he may not have received it, I'm not sure if it was tracked, but from history I can remember when he successfully sued someone else regarding another matter and payment was tracked, he deliberately refused to sign for the letter containing the payment after looking at the reverse to see who it was from, and told the postman he didn't want the letter. I witnessed him doing it. I know this caused lots of problems for the other person.

A real nasty piece of work!!

I will give it to the middle of next week and if not cashed, I will inform my solicitor.