NCC street lighting.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4283 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Firstly can I please apologise if I have posted this in the wrong section only I was struggling to decide which section was the best or most appropriate option.

Norfolk County Council are replacing the street lamp posts in our area. The old lamp posts are being replaced with the new lamp posts which have LCD light fittings. There is presently a street light attached to the front of my property which hasn`t yet been changed or converted. The street light is just an arm with a light on the end, the arm is attached to my property at approx bedroom window height with a cable leading along the front of my house a to power box fitted to the side of my house.

My question is, Does the highways department or the contractor need my permission before any work is carried out? I have already taken a photograph as a precaution but I am concerned they may have to knock off some render to accomodate a new LCD lamp.

I am taking the opportunity to ask these questions in advance and in anticpation of the work being carried out without my consent.

Many thanks for all replies and offers of advice.

Do you have an agreement with NCC that they can have the light on your house? Why not just give them a ring and find out what the plan is? Also ask them what would happen if they damage your property I am sure they have insurance but get it clear before they start work.

• Confused 1

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and let me know, thank you.

Do you have an agreement with NCC that they can have the light on your house? Why not just give them a ring and find out what the plan is? Also ask them what would happen if they damage your property I am sure they have insurance but get it clear before they start work.

Thankyou very much for your reply. The light was already on the property when we purchased it some ten years ago. I could ring them but thought the onus should be on them to contact me, besides I`ve had experiences of ringing local authorities before, hanging on listening to music, being handed from one department to another before being informed we`ll ring you back but never receiving the call.

I know an ex work colleague who had a telephone pole in his garden, he used to get a yearly sum from BT for having it sited on his property (basically rent money I suppose). Just wondering if the same would apply with my property?

I just wanted to have some insight of my rights before any work started on replacing the light.

Steve

I think you could still get them checked although if there was a covenant your solicitor would/should have told you at the time of purchase. I do think you may be entitled to some rent for the light being situated on your house and i appreciate what you are saying about hanging on the phone to the council but it might just be worth it to set your mind at rest. However should they damage your property then they will have to repair it.

dont forget to keep and date the photo.

I think you could still get them checked although if there was a covenant your solicitor would/should have told you at the time of purchase. I do think you may be entitled to some rent for the light being situated on your house and i appreciate what you are saying about hanging on the phone to the council but it might just be worth it to set your mind at rest. However should they damage your property then they will have to repair it.

dont forget to keep and date the photo.

Thanks very much for your latest reply and the suggestions you make.

Been thinking about the deeds and any possible covenant. Our house is approx two hundred years old so I am kind of thinking that street lighting was not an issue at that time, in which case there would be nothing mentioned.

Another concern regarding the light is that I have a son who works nights sometimes and sleeps during the day. Surely they would be obliged to give advance notice of any work they intend to carry out?

Many thanks for your continued interest in this thread.

Yes they would have to tell you when they were going to start work or you could just refuse themn access to your property, I still think cost apert you do need to speak to NCC and find out what their plans are, although I did email our CC about a street lighting issue and they did get back to me within 7 days, so email may be an option.

Once you have found out when they intend doing the work then I suggest you try and find out if they owe you any rent!

Good luck

• 2 months later...

Hi,

A wayleave agreement would have been made to install the original lantern and power supply on the property.

If the luminaire is attached to your property then the NCC PFI Street Lighting company (who would operate and maintain the lights for the next 25 years or so would need to obtain a wayleave with yourself in order to install/reinstall anything there (because you are within your rights to ask them to remove the equipment from your property) and they would have to make good any damage caused.

The proposed lantern would be possibly be an LED type and not LCD.

Can a freestanding column be installed anywhere in the area - see sentence above.

Kry10