• Tweets

• Hi all, We bought a part to fix our washing machine approx 13 months ago direct from the manufacturer of the washing machine via phone. This part then failed 13 months later, as confirmed by their own engineer, who was sent by the manufacturer (who is also the retailer for the part) FoC. The engineer actually installed a replacement part, the machine came back to life, but they then removed the part used for testing (and ours reinstalled) as "we would be charged for it". The retailer are refusing to replace the part, stating that they only warranty parts for 90 days. When I stated that I believed the Consumer Rights Act gives me longer than that, they insinuated that it did not, and this was repeated by many representatives. AIUI for goods bought more than 6 months ago, I need to get an engineers report to confirm the part has failed? Or that it has failed due to manufacturing issues? Or would the companies own engineers report suffice? Also, does anyone have any other decent contact details for Hotpoint (or the Whirlpool group)? Thanks, GH
    • Thank you for that "read me", It's a lot to digest, lots of legal procedure. There was one thing that I was going to mention to you,  but in one of the conversations in that thread it was mentioned that there may be spies on the Forum,  this is something that I've read quite some time ago in a previous thread. What I had in mind was to wait for the thirty days after their reply to my CCA request and then send the unenforceable letter. I was hoping that an absence of signature could be the Silver Bullet but it seems that there are lot of layers to peel on this Onion.  
    • love the extra £1000 charge for confidentialy there BF   Also OP even if they don't offer OOC it doesn't mean your claim isn't good. I had 3 against EVRi that were heard over the last 3 weeks. They sent me emails asking me to discontinue as I wouldn't win. Went infront of a judge and won all 3.    Just remember the law is on your side. The judges will be aware of this.   Where you can its important to try to point out at the hearing the specific part of the contract they breached. I found this was very helpful and the Judge made reference to it when they gave their judgements and it seemed this was pretty important as once you have identified a specific breach the matter turns straight to liability. From there its a case of pointing out the unlawfullness of their insurance and then that should be it.
    • I know dx and thanks again for yours and others help. I was 99.999% certain last payment was over six years ago if not longer.  👍
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Link/Kearns claimform - MBNA/Virgin Credit card 'debt' *** Claim Dismissed with Costs***

RedPillGuy
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2159 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I have a Virgin / MBNA credit card with a balance of around £13800

Due to a significant change of circumstances I have written to them to outline my financial difficulties,

they had initially agreed a reduced payment plan, but even this I am not able to meet at the moment.

Looking at their corresponance it does not appear that they have not actually defaulted me yet.

On 23/3/12 I requested copies of the CCA on the account but no reply yet.

I know that some of the law around CCA has changed over the last few years,

but am I right that after 14 working days,

I should write to them saying that I place the account in dispute?

The further 30 days is no longer applicable?

I MAY be in a position in a few months, with the generosity of a relative, to make a F&F offer,

but I wanted to confirm that they have a valid CCA before making such an offer. Any advice on this?

I understand my credit record will be hit for 6 years, but think I can live with that.

Just wanted to get all the pain out of the way now (if they have not yet defaulted me yet)

to start the 6 years ticking on the credit record.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Dewatt,

If you have received no response within 14 days then you should have sent in the account in-dispute letter, if not sent, send it now.

30 days for a CCA request no longer applies.

Pay what you can afford - if your on benefits or you income has dropped to a low level than £1 a month.

As Virgin are in default of your CCA request, you can legally stop payments until they comply.

Virgin will eventually farm it out to a DCA.

Any PPI or charges to claim back?

When offering a full and final - get everything in writing, make sure it is stated that the remainder of the debt will not be sold on, your credit file is reflected as a full settlement and even try and get the default removed.

Stigman

Edited by Stigman

NEVER telephone a DCA

If a DCA rings you, refuse to go through the security questions & hang up!

If I have helped you, click on the star & say thank you

MBNA have sent me a reply within the 14 days.

They have sent:

- A copy of the executed agreement

- An "up to date terms and conditions"

- A copy of the most recent statement

The agreement does not have signatures, simplty a "tick box" with "I confirm that the tick in this box is a valid means of establishing the authenticity and integrity of my signature to this credit agreement. I understand MBNA will hold this acceptance data on their files" Date of signature: 9/2/2007

And similarly a "tick box" "Executed by Hugh Charter (Director) on behalf of MBNA. Date of Signature 9/2/2007

The credit limit in the agreement is 15.9% APR, however early statements are showing 1.2408% which when you run through http://www.stoozing.com/mon2yr.htm give an APR of 15.95% compounded - is this a discrepency?

There is no specified credit limit, simply "1a We will choose your credit limit and tell you what it is. We may vary it at any time and write to let you know." Is this not a prescribed term that is required.

I do understand that since 2004 online applications can include an electronic signature, but this does appear to be a reconstituted agreement rather than original (dont online agreements normally include the IP address as proof, which this one is lacking)

Does the fact that agreement was before the repal of s127(3) have any impact?

Thanks

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have just had a phone call from MBNA in response to aF&F offer letter I had sent.

He asked if I could up my offer by £500 as this would then be within his delegated authority of 40%,

which i think I can do.

I asked for a letter accepting this ammount, but he said that because the debt is due for sale in the next month,

they are not allowed to send out acceptance letters in advance of receiving payment

as it interferes with the debt sale process.

It sounds dubious because without such a letter, because they then could just apply any payment against the debt

and continue to pursue the balance. he said I have "security" because all calls are recorded at their end.

I am not willing to move forward on that basis, but i do have the ability to record calls myself,

so if I called them, informed them that the call was being recorded,

make the offer and get their acceptance (including no further pursuit)

- would this sufficiently cover myslef from further pursuit?

Advice appreciated.

I have just had a phone call from MBNA in response to a F&F offer letter I had sent.

He asked if I could up my offer by £500 as this would then be within his delegated authority of 40%, which i think I can do.

I asked for a letter accepting this amount, but he said that because the debt is due for sale in the next month, they are not allowed to send out acceptance letters in advance of receiving payment as it interferes with the debt sale process.

STAY OFF THE PHONE!!!

STAY OFF THE PHONE!!!

STAY OFF THE PHONE!!!

And just in case, STAY OFF THE PHONE!!!

He may as well pick up the Sunday sport and read you the headlines for all the truth it holds, seriously, if you have the facility to record your phonecalls, then do so every time, there is NO need to inform them you are recording your call.

Next thing is to ignore EVERYTHING you have been told over the phone, he is on commission, and you agreeing to up your offer by another £500 will go straight into his pocket, if you had paid it!

And as for the recording of the conversation at their end.......pah! :flypig:

If they are not prepared to commit anything in writing, then you don't pay anything.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Thanks Bazooka, I know I should stay off the phone

- he got me at work so I was thinking about something else.

Still, its worrying that they think they can trick you into making a payment

under the guise of accepting your F&F offer, but wont agree in writing

(and will them probably pursue you for the balance).

Seems like a really dodgy [problem].

I have just checked Equifax and CallCredit - both showing as defaulted 31/5/2012

so he was probably right that the account is due for sale to a DCA

- but surely it makes more sense for them to accept a 40% F&F

from me that sell it for less than 10% to a DCA??

I did have to laugh at the letter I got acknowledging receipt of my F&F offer dated June 1st

"as a goodwill gesture we have suppressed all interest and charges on your account" .

... surely thats what happens upon default.

" I did have to laugh at the letter I got acknowledging receipt of my F&F offer dated June 1st "as a goodwill gesture we have suppressed all interest and charges on your account" .... surely thats what happens upon default."

Not necessarily interest and unfair charges can continue subject to the T&Cs of the agreement.

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Issue date 4 Dec 16

POC:

The Claimant ('C') claims the whole of the balance due & payable under an agreement referenced 1234567890, opened effective from 12/02/2007.

The agreement is regulated by the Consumer Credit Act 1974, was signed by the Defendant ('D')

& from which credit was extended to D.

d has not made payment as required & by 31/05/2012 a default was recorded. On 29/08/2012

D owed the sum of 14XXXXX TO MBNA Limited who, by and agreement in writing assigned the benefit of the debt to Link Financial Outsourcing Limited ('Link') effective 29/08/2012.

By an agreement in writing, Link assigned the benefit of the debt to C effective 28/02/2013.

Each assignment was made regular upon a Notice of Assignment being served upon D shortly after.

And C claims-

1. 14XXXXXX, AND

2. Interest Persians so s69 County Court Act 1984 at a rate of 8% per annum form 29/08/12 to 03/12/2015

of 3XXXXX and at a daily rate of 298 unit any judgment or sooner payment.

DATED 03/12/2015

What is the value of the claim? 18.5k

Is the claim for a current account (Overdraft) or credit/loan account or mobile phone account? credit Card

When did you enter into the original agreement before or after 2007? Feb 2007

Has the claim been issued by the original creditor or was the account assigned and it is the Debt purchaser who has issued the claim.

Original debt Virgin/MBNA, assigned to Link Financial Outsourcing, then assigned to IDR FINANCE UK II LIMITED (claimant). Kearns acting as solicitors.

Were you aware the account had been assigned – did you receive a Notice of Assignment? Yes from MBNA To Link, but no from Link to IDR.

Did you receive a Default Notice from the original creditor? YES

Did you receive a Default Notice from the original creditor? YES

Have you been receiving statutory notices headed “Notice of Default sums” – at least once a year ? NO

Why did you cease payments? Inability to pay

What was the date of your last payment? DEC 2011

Was there a dispute with the original creditor that remains unresolved? NO

Did you communicate any financial problems to the original creditor and make any attempt to enter into a debt management plan? YES, 2012.

Thread moved to Financial Legal Issues Forum.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Given the date of the agreement (Feb 2007) doe this still mean that they are required to provide an original agreement with a signature?

Yes I do believe that pre Apr 07 agreements will need the original to enforce in court, but it's all down to the DJ lottery at the end of the day.

Have you acknowledged the claim?

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Yes I do believe that pre Apr 07 agreements will need the original to enforce in court, but it's all down to the DJ lottery at the end of the day.

Have you acknowledged the claim?

Only received the claim this mornings, so will wait a week then acknowledge

please read the following and fill out the info required. Best to have all the info together

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?419198-You-have-received-a-Claim-What-you-need-to-do.-**UPDATED-December-2014**

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Any help I am able to give is from my own experience only. Should you have any doubt you should contact a qualified professional.

Have you demanded the CCA?

How much of that O/D is made up of the banks fees/charges?

Have you ever reclaimed any of them?

Get a CPR letter off to the solicitors too. CCA request to the claimant.

Are you sure there are no charges for missed payments, letters issued, etc? It would be rare for an account to fall into default without incurring any charges.

What sort of outcome are you hoping for here, as a worst case scenario?

Sham

33 days - 4th Dec counts as one. I make it 4pm on 5th Jan for your defence. Go for a day or two earlier just to be on the safe side.

There are plenty of defences within other threads you can use and adapt. It will basically push them to substantiate their POCs. Make sure to post it up here for Andyorch to check before you submit it.

In the meantime, have a read of HSBC v Carey which will give you a good grounding on the s.78 aspect of your defence. Let's also see what they disclose in terms of agreement, default notice, and statements and how they can help you.

Sham

• 2 weeks later...

Link Financial have come back regarding the CCA 77/78 request saying they dont have the documents and are requesting from MBNA which can take 30 days.

Nothing from the CPR request to Kearns Solicitors. I guess that they are just going to ignore the request over Christmas.

Should I just submit an embarrassed defence or wait a week to see if anything comes back?

4pm Tuesday 5th jan deadline.as Sham says,...

no you don't file an embarrassed defence

that's old hat now.

if they provide no paperwork by the time you need to file

use the no paperwork/holding one

available on many credit card claim threads here and in the successes forum off this one.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Not sure who will be on these boards over Christmas, so here is my draft (no documents) defence for any comment. Thanks

In the Northampton (CCBC) county court

Claim number XXXXXXXX

Between

IRD Finance UK II Limited - Claimant

and

Me – Defendant

DEFENCE

[removed emb def - dx]

if you are filing by mcol you don't need most of the ending stuff

id also keep things very simplistic

like their poc is.

POClink3.gif:

1.The Claimant ('C') claims the whole of the balance due & payable under an agreement referenced 1234567890, opened effective from 12/02/2007.

The agreement is regulated by the consumer creditlink3.gif Act 1974, was signed by the Defendant ('D')

& from which credit was extended to D.

2.d has not made payment as required & by 31/05/2012 a default was recorded. On 29/08/2012

3.D owed the sum of 14XXXXX TO MBNAlink3.gif Limited who, by and agreement in writing

assigned the benefit of the debt to Link Financial Outsourcing Limited ('Link') effective 29/08/2012.

4.By an agreement in writing, Link assigned the benefit of the debt to C effective 28/02/2013.

Each assignment was made regular upon a Notice of Assignment being served upon D shortly after.

5. And C claims-

1. 14XXXXXX, AND

2. Interest Persians so s69 county courtlink3.gif Act 1984 at a rate of 8% per annum form 29/08/12 to 03/12/2015

of 3XXXXX and at a daily rate of 298 unit any judgment or sooner payment.

DATED 03/12/2015

something like this:

1.Paragraph 1 is denied. The Defendant has no knowledge of, or has in their possession any agreement pertaining to the account number referred to in its Particulars of Claim.

2. Paragraph 2 is denied I have no knowledge of any legal assignment.I have never been served any Notice of Assignment from either the original creditor or the claimant pursuant to the Law of Property Act 1925.

3. Paragraph 3 is denied It is not accepted with regards to the Defendant owing any monies to the Claimant and the Claimant is put to strict proof to:

a) show how the Defendant has entered into an agreement with the original creditor; and

b) show how the Defendant has reached the amount claimed for; and

c) Show or evidence a Default Notice /Notice of Sums in Arrears,

d) show how the Claimant has the legal right, either under statute or equity to issue a claim;

4. As per Civil Procedureicon Rule 16.5(4), it is expected that the Claimant prove the allegation that the money is owed.

5.Despite a request being made under the consumer crediticon Act 1974, for the agreement and the other documents referred to in the Statement of Particulars, and on payment of the statutory fee of £1.00; the Claimant remains in breach of the sec78 request.

6.A further request made via CPR 31.14, after the claim had been issued, has also failed to elicit a copy of the agreement and other documents on which the Claimant claim relies upon.

7.Until such time the claimant can comply with the above sec78 request is therefore prevented from enforcing or seeking the relief claimed or any relief.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• 2 weeks later...