Housing Benefit and council tax underpayment

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4411 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

My 1st post and I wonder if anyone can help me with some information.

My husband is severely disabled and last year I discovered my local council had underpaid us housing benefit and council tax benefit for 4 years. This amounted to a considerable amount circa £5000. This caused considerable hardship to us during this time.

After numerous calls and letters it was finally sorted out and they paid us the underpayment in october last year.

We still have this 5K in our bank account and because of the 5k and other savings we are just over the 6k limit? allowed on HB and CTB before they start deducting money from our benefits again.

I am sure that there are rules re underpayments of benefits do not count when calculating savings for benefits for a set period of 1 year. After this year is up they are counted as savings. Can anyone confirm this and point me to the relevant rules so that I have some definite proof regarding this rule.

Thank you

Edited by theresam
spelling

I think you are looking for paragraph 9(1)(b) of Schedule 6 of the Housing Benefits Regulations

Schedule 6 - Capital to be disregarded

9.-

(1)Subject to sub-paragraph (2), any arrears of, or any concessionary payment made to compensate for arrears due to the non-payment of—

(b)an income-related benefit under Part 7 of the Act; but only for a period of 52 weeks from the date of the receipt of arrears or of the concessionary payment.

• Confused 1

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.

Thank you,

That is what I am looking for, especially the part where it says anything over £5000 back payment when their fault is disregarded for the duration of the claim.