HELP !!! Needed with appeal letter to council for council tax refund.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4408 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello All,Hope you can help me with my problem.

I moved into my current property in april 2005, the council were informed i had moved because the new bill had my name on it at my new address. I did not think to claim my sole occupancy discount.

Since then i contacted the council and they pointed out that i had not been getting my discount for the last 7 years and that i might get it back. They told me to put my request in writing and the reason for my late claim and they would consider a refund.That was 22/02/2012. I recieved a letter 16/03/20012 stating that "They are unable to grant backdated discount for council tax as i did not apply during my occupancy and that they only backdate the discount for a maximum of 12 months,( which they gave me on an adjusted bill for 2011/12). They went on to say that as each bill had information on how to claim a discount that they had taken reasonable steps to invite a request for a discount." I had never read any leaflets that came with my bill and paid in full each year. Is there anyone that has any experience of writing an appeal or am i wasting my time trying to get some of MY money back off them.Surely if i owed them any money they would chase me for years until they got it. Also as a closing paragraph they had informed me that i didn.t inform them i was leaving the previous address and that they had requested a new bill for the outstanding balance??????? What balance? Still waiting for them to prove i owe anything and for them to even confirm what address they are talking about.Surely any outstanding balance if there is one is now statute barred as far as them persuing it legally anyway. It appears to me they are saying "You try to get money off us and we,ll try to get money off you with some fictitious figures " What should i do next??? should i just forget it and move on ?? HELP PLEASE MUCH APPRECIATED!!!!!! Thay say i must appeal in writing or email but they don,t say how long i have,only that if my appeal is rejected or if i dont hear from them within 2 months i can make a further appeal to the valuation office.:-x

Hi linemonkey

Basically they've said 'you should of 'applied at the time'. Are there any reasons why you didn't apply for the discount at the time other then, 'there wasn't a leaflet'. You've got nothing to lose regarding an appeal, you need to find out exactly where it says they can only discount 12 months, it could be that they can use their discretion. Also I don't think Council Tax debts aren't Statuted Barred.