Halifax charges.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6236 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone, I've found my way here from the moneysavingexpert.com forums and have found some useful information so far, but need to ask a specific question!

My partner has a Halifax account. His car insurance was due to automatically renew, so he phoned insurance company and cancelled it (as his car is off the road for repairs). He then followed this up with a letter confirming cancellation. He did not however cancel his Direct Debit with Halifax for the car insurance.

The car insurance co. then took a payment of £160 (even though the policy was cancelled) which left his Halifax account overdrawn. He was charged £39 for this and then a further £20 from Halifax credit card as they attempted to take his card payment which was refused as he was overdrawn.

So, what I'm really asking is should the car insurance company pay him the bank charges back as they caused this to happen?

Or should Halifax refund the charges?

Or is it his own fault for not cancelling the insurance Direct Debit with Halifax?

He has asked Halifax to refund the charges, but they told him to speak to the car insurance co...

Any help would be greatfully received! :)

• 1 year later...

Hi cALLISTO

a friend had this with a bill being taken on wrong date...put her over-over draft! was all arranged for day after payday!!

She screamed down the phone...wrote a letter demanding refund plus costs & interest and got it!

As he had cancelled i think it comes under the consumer credit act/direct debit protection...BEST TO CHECK IT OUT FIRST!

But start with the insurance company first, taking an unauthorised payment.....MAKE A BIG NOISE ABOUT IT!!

• 11 years later...

This topic was closed on 03/05/19.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support their.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6236 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks