Cardiff CC overdue council tax legal fees

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4440 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Are they enforceable?

I am sharing a flat with another guy who cannot pay his half of an overdue council tax bill because of a pay screwup at his work.

I got a notification today that if it isn't paid by a specific date the account would be summonsed and a £70 "legal fee" would be added. I called the CC today to see if an alternative arrangement can be worked out, like an extension on the due date. I can pay my half of the outstanding but I can't afford to pay it all.

I was told that no, it doesn't work like that. If we can't pay by date x, the account will be summonsed after an unspecified time and a £70 "legal fee" would be added, and then alternative arrangements could be discussed.

So is this £70 fee enforceable, in light of the fact I've already offered to discuss alternative arrangements? Them simply refusing to do so until the summons is issued because "that's just the way the system works" doesn't sound to me like an argument that would stand up in court. Am I wrong?

....I was told that no, it doesn't work like that. If we can't pay by date x, the account will be summonsed after an unspecified time and a £70 "legal fee" would be added, and then alternative arrangements could be discussed....

What your council has stated here is concrete evidence that these court costs are just a source of extra revenue which is obtained at the expense of caught-out householders. They might easily have said, we'll not help you in your financial predicament until we've taken you to court and imposed a £70 penalty for the pleasure.

Do you know whether Cardiff Council charge another fee in addition to the £70 summons, i.e. costs for obtaining the liability order?