2001/2 council taxed owed! beingh chased by Phoenix Commercials

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4395 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Redcar & Cleveland BC are using Baliffs to retrieve tax owed for period 2001/2. I had left the matrimonial home throug seperation, subsequent divirce. On leaving and moving to neighbouring Borough, I immediately paid Councuil tax. Constacted Redcar BC, faxed proof of paying to new Borough. Now been told I`m still liable for tax on the property even yhogh ot there. Ex wife was residing there fo an unknown period.

I now have Phoenix posting letters with highlted mobile no. to arrange PCM payments!

any help much recieved!

if you were not at the residence then you owe nothing

send the council proof.

As this debt is for outstanding council tax from years gone by, it is no longer a priority debt as such and is now classified as "priority arrrears". So the bailiff can go swivel!!!!

I was in a similar situation but owing £1,200 for council tax from 6 yrs ago. (I was refused council tax benefit whilst I was unable to work through illness and on Income Support for 8 months but the council refused to apply CTB retrospectively - unknown to me because I had moved - my application for CTB had been incomplete.)

i refused to co-operate further with the bailiffs (Rossies) after their threat level had escalated to ridiculous heights and instead told the council how much I could afford to pay them after taking into consideration my priority household expenses and debts, then my priority debts and then my credit debt. (I worked out what I could afford with the National Debtline I&E form - I believe CAG has a good one as well) I would only correspond by e-mail to the Head of Revenues and I told him I would pay £12.50/month. I considered that to be a realistic and sustainable amount. It was accepted even though it will take 8 years to repay.

As suggested above, advise the council of your "vulnerable" status and dig your heels in! The council will eventually take back your debt and you can then repay them what is realistic and sustainable for you. Stress to them that it is in their benefit to help you by allowing you to repay at an amount you can afford - without defaulting - whilst still paying your current council liablility if you have one.

At the time I negotiated my repayment to the council, I was employed on a full-time basis and had no dependent children and was not considered vulnerable, so if I could do it, you can too!! If you're in receipt of the "appropriate" benefits, they will only deduct a small amount each week/month and then you will be fine.

Best of Luck and don't lose heart!

Impecunious!

/..........

reposted by dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Ironic, I`ve only been hounded due to Council using Experian as the initial searchers and me being in full time work!

I have a debt management plan and will utilise this to convey to the Council.

Many Many thanks for this....oh and the HFC bit under `I am In:......my wife and I were directed `there` by HSBC!

I`m considering investigating the PPI element of these loans as I have a feeling we were pressured into having too take them out!

have a good day.

If I tell the baliffs to `go swivel`, will the council concerned not take me to court?

i doubt the LO is recent and still inforce

i hope you are not PAYING for your DMP?

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

payplan good

if you phone the council and ask

they will tell you...

and they

You need to speak to someone at the Council and ask the following questions:

1 - how many Liability Orders they have against you

2 - the dates they were obtained

3 - the addresses they were for

4 - the period of time each covers

5 - how much each one was for

6 - how much is still outstanding

7 - the dates they were passed on for enforcement

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

aha.....thanks so far, I`m awaiting a call from the Council (I just phoned and all they could say was that the LO was issued 2002....) Another office is going to call so the above questions will realy help!

I have a feeling that although I was not there, and paying another borough, and my ex didnt pay, and the property was in our names, I am being held laible and the fact that I `m easier to trace!?

2002!

unless the LO is new they are really pushing their luck.

did you get 2nd property discount as you had two properties?

dx

and they

from council correspondence:-

100% emty exemp` granted period 13th Jan 01 - 12 July 2001, then 50% disc` granted for 13th July 2001 - 11 Aug 2002. "Our records show `you` still owned property and that it stood empty.

I`m led to believe my ex was there

ok so the questions on post 7

get them answered

dx

and they

• 1 month later...

Just a quick note...hopefully not tempting fate....still no response from Council after verbal request for items listed 1-7. Plus no further respnse from Phoenix with regards to previous years CT. Many Thanks again. will keep updated.