Marc Gander - The Consumer Survival Handbook

A 220 page introduction to all things consumer related by our own BankFodder.

Includes energy companies, mobile phone providers, retailers, banks, insurance companies,debt collection agencies, reclaim companies, secondhand car sellers, cowboy garages, cowboy builders and all the rest who put their own profits before you.

£6.99

Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

Default lewis/CL Finance - old RSS Classic Visa Credit Card Debt

Good Morning to all the midnight oil burners. Received letter from Lewis Debt Recovery on Friday demanding 220.88 to be paid by 21/02/12. They give a 16 digit reference number and then notice isapparently issued on behalfof sombody called CL Finance.

Telephoned them yesterday to find out what the debt was relating to but once I confirmed my name and the reference on the letter I was asked to provide my date of birth for security reasons. I refused on the basis that they did not have that information so how could they use it for security. I was told they do hold my D.O.B on record and the lady refused to speak on the account any further unless I gave her this information. I ended the call.

I do not know what the supposed debt is for. I have never hadany dealings with either of these companies. I have since discovered by my own means that the reference on their letter is a 16 digit vsa card number. The only Visa card I had was many years ago, probably 8 years ago.

They threaten the usual - further action - doorstep collectionicon. Howcan they do this if they will tell me what the supposed debt relates to.

Thank you for reading thisand hopefully someone can advise me.

Default Re: lewis/CL Finance - old RSS Classic Visa Credit Card Debt

ignore them

they are trying to spoof you into paying
    a statute barredicon debt

to be sure
    check your CRAicon file

details below

dx

ps never ever ring a DCAicon they have no legal power to do nowt

PLEASE REFRAIN FROM HITTING 'REPLY WITH QUOTE' IF YOU ARE SIMPLY REPLYING TO THE LAST POST IN A THREAD..JUST TYPE!!
    it makes a thread twice as long to scroll through..save data download times and costs
    If you want advice please PM me a link to your thread. PM advice is not allowed!!
    DX
    RIP Martin3030

Follows
    Following

thanks dx100uk I was thinking along those lines but was getting confused as to why CL Finance have sold this debt on with out chasing it themselves. If indeed it does exist.

send them this letter
    http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk...g-of-the-debt#

print do not sign your name and stay off the phone they will try trick you on the phone into admiting that the debt is yours. I had a simular experince with Active Kaptil for a debt which wasnt mine i used this letter and they went away and had to pay me 50 pounds for my trouble

The Tally so far in order of appearince:
    Intrum Justica Now gone from my life
    Metropolition Gone and had to repay me 500 pounds
    Red(Lowell) Case Closed
    Aktiv Kapital Was so sad yo say good bye. Parting is such sweet sorrow.
    MBNA No CCA No Debt You lost
    Follows
    Following

Hi,
    CL and Lewis are the same company.

Thanks everyone for your advice. I have sent the letter suggested recorded delivery and will await the response. I will let you know what happens

Just a quick update. Got a response to the prove it letter stating that the debt relates to a RBSicon Visa Classic account that was taken out on 20/5/98. They say the account defaulted (they did not give a date of default) and was assingned to their client CL Finance on 18/8/06 for full collection.. I do not know of any outstanding balance. Had a card but maxed it out and ripped it up and paid it off as far as I can remember. I have not had it for 10 years at least.

Would this be statute barredicon. I dont understand why they say they got it in 2006 and have not tried to collect until 2012????

What do you think I should do now. They have not provided any proof, just a letter with this information.

well do you know when the last payment was made on this card?

The Tally so far in order of appearince:
    Intrum Justica Now gone from my life
    Metropolition Gone and had to repay me 500 pounds
    Red(Lowell) Case Closed
    Aktiv Kapital Was so sad yo say good bye. Parting is such sweet sorrow.
    MBNA No CCA No Debt You lost
    Follows
    Following

because they is stupid, now send a CCA Requesticon just to wind them up some more

PGH7447

Getting There Slowly
    ---------

Advice is given freely but is in no way meant to be taken as Gospel
    Follows
    Following

Quote Originally Posted by davrym View Post
    Just a quick update. Got a response to the prove it letter stating that the debt relates to a RBSicon Visa Classic account that was taken out on 20/5/98. They say the account defaulted (they did not give a date of default) and was assingned to their client CL Finance on 18/8/06 for full collection.. I do not know of any outstanding balance. Had a card but maxed it out and ripped it up and paid it off as far as I can remember. I have not had it for 10 years at least.

Would this be statute barredicon. I dont understand why they say they got it in 2006 and have not tried to collect until 2012????

What do you think I should do now. They have not provided any proof, just a letter with this information.

a default does not give them the right to collect nor reset the sb date.

your last payment is the sb clock start

dx

PLEASE REFRAIN FROM HITTING 'REPLY WITH QUOTE' IF YOU ARE SIMPLY REPLYING TO THE LAST POST IN A THREAD..JUST TYPE!!
    it makes a thread twice as long to scroll through..save data download times and costs
    If you want advice please PM me a link to your thread. PM advice is not allowed!!
    DX
    RIP Martin3030

Follows
    Following

Got a reply to the CCA Requesticon today. They acknowledge my letter and respond

"Please not that we do not currently hold a copy of the required document on site.

Therefore, we are in the process of retrieving a copy for you.

We confirm that while your request remains outstanding, enforcement action will not be taken against you.

Please not that although the agreement may not be enforceable while your request for a copy of it remains outstanding,
    this does not mean that your debt is wiped out.

Any outstanding debt is still owed and you must continue to make payments.

If you do not make payment then we will be entitled to request payment from you.

We may also pass details of any default to a credit reference agency and pass your information to a debt collectoricon.

This view is shared by the Office of Fair Trading."

This took them a month to send. How long do they have to get the information to me?

Thanks

12+2 days!!

told ya

you should have ignored them

CRAicon file?

dx

DX
    RIP Martin3030

Follows
    Following

Thanks dx100uk

Does this mean that they out of time? Do I just ignore from now on?

poss check your CRAicon file please

dx

DX
    RIP Martin3030

Follows
    Following

Did these clowns really write that? On paper??

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!
    HOW DO I START A NEW THREAD?

Follows
    Following

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE
We use cookies to personalise content and ads and to provide social media features. We also share information about your use of our site with our advertising and analytics partners. See details