Backdated Council Tax on recently changed property

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4418 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello

I have recently changed my house into 2 flats and obtained a certificate for lawful use. The council have now sen me bills for both properties dating back to 2007 - it adds up to almost £6000. I've always paid my bills, which they have graciously (!) taken into account, but I am unsure of whether they are allowed to ask me for backdated payment. I was only afforded the certificate of lawful use in September 2011 - surely that is the date from which I would owe council tax on both flat?!?!

Can anyone shed any light?

Thanks in advance.

Hi there

The VO is telling me they are using the date that they have been given by the council, and the council in turn are saying they are using the date the VO have given them.

As part of my application to the council for lawful use I had to submit proof that the property was being used as 2 flats for a minimum of 4 years - I gave post that had been received in August 2007 to support the application. So I think I know where they are getting the date from - the planning office (at the council).

My issue is that the residence only became lawful in September 2011 - is it really legal for them to turn around and ask for back payments?

Thanks again.

So hang on, you haven't 'just' changed it into 2 flats, it has been used as 2 flats for at least 4 years and you have just given the council proof of that. The council have now looked and can't see any tax being paid for at least 4 years so have billed you.

I can't see how you can dispute something where you have supplied the proof to the contrary.

The council are the ones that set the date the valuation office uses. The valuation office and council will bill you and are allowed to bill you from the date of change of the house into 2 flats. It sounds like you unlawfully changed your property into 2 flats and sought retrospective permission from the councils planning department. They will then inform the council tax department who will then inform the valuation office.