Tips for handling holidays that end up with problems

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6129 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Perhaps one of the best tips for getting information about holidays that have gone wrong is - ALWAYS TAKE A CAMCORDER.

Granted, not every holiday is going to be perfect, but there are some that are so bad they deserve featuring on "Holidays from Hell" and having a camcorder along is a perfect way to get evidence.

If you find out your holiday apartment is falling to bits, next door to a building site or a health hazard, make sure the recorder is set to put the time and date on the film, and show and state CLEARLY where you see the problems. On return to the UK make copies of your film, or use a cheap PC attachment to transfer your evidence onto PC so that you can quickly and conveniently create CDs or DVDs at short notice.

Then, write to the companies head office. Enclose a copy of your film, with a written complaint that details, in clear to follow terms, where you have a complaint. Go through the paperwork of your holiday insurance, and quote any relevant passages about the companies obligations.

If you get no joy from them, write to trading standards, again sending a copy of your footage. Also, write to ABTA (the Association of British Travel Agents) if the holiday company is with them. If they are, they will display the ABTA trademark clearly on their literature. Send them a copy of the film as well.

NEVER send anyone the original of your film. When you get satisfaction you can either destroy the original or keep it for laugh value, but don't surrender it to a holiday company because if they conveniently lose it, there goes your evidence.

Finally don't forget to write here and tell us how things go. Happy holidays all.

You also need to make a complaint to your rep whilst in the resort, they should and make sure they do complete a form and both you and the rep sign it, and then you get a copy

I had a problem a few years ago I sent in my complaint letter and they refused to do anything about it, I had taken video evidence of the problems mainly road and building noise, I have to say when we replayed the video footage the noise was 10 times worse that it was really, (there is a god) once I submitted this evidence it was a whole different story and they paid up.

Also, write to ABTA (the Association of British Travel Agents) if the holiday company is with them. If they are, they will display the ABTA trademark clearly on their literature.

If they're not, DON'T book your travel with them. EVER. No matter how cheap.

I have to disagree.

The ABTA thing is fine, although for holiday companies it's expensive.

For instance SAGA holidays (the 'old' peoples holiday company) don't use ABTA - they have their own SAGA Trust - which pays the amount that a customer pays into a fund.

When the holiday is successfully complete, then the money is taken out again.

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

Add me as your friend on FaceBook - I need all the friends I can get :-(

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577405151

------------

ABTA is for Travel Agents.

ATOL is for Tour Operators

TWO different things.

Travel agents book holidays for you, usually prepackaged. If they make a package for you (this means two parts of the small holiday, such as flights and hotel, or hotel and car hire) then they must have insurance to cover it. TOL - Tour Operatoirs Liability.

You need to know which part to write to/about.

Any more queries ask me. It was my job to underwrite these policies. One of only four people in the country so I know what I am talking about.

LOULA

Wow, excellent.

What an excellent person to know.

Thank you. Sincerely.

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

Add me as your friend on FaceBook - I need all the friends I can get :-(

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577405151

------------

Also, when i claimed against Thomas Cook I remember the manager telling me not to accept their first offer as it was always low. So I didnt and their second one was far better!!

Woolfie

Advice & opinions given by Woolfie are my own, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Had a horrendous experience with flying colours a few years ago. It was the flight that caused the problem. On returning home we complained but were told that although our agent was abta and atol that only covers accomodation not flights. We were told that all we could do was report the flight co. to the aviation board and they would get a caution.

Also had problem with Thomson. Complained to rep, got report and followed their instructions. Air tours clients were compensated on site, but thomson area manager told our rep that thomsons was a more reputable company and would deal with complaints on return to uk. Guess what. When we wrote to them we got a reply saying they were not liable and did not think they should pay. Replied giving reps/area managers comments but still told same.

Will never book with either again. Customer care non existant.

If you found this post helpful please click on the scales, top right. Thank you.

If you find this site helpful and if you reclaim your charges please donate by clicking the button at the top of the page

First Direct 1 - settled

First Direct 2 - settled

RBS 1 - claim made 8/5/6

RBS 2 - claim made 8/5/6

GE Capital - counter claim 6/5/6

Halifax - settled 31/5/6

If you book a package holiday either through a tour operator (such as Thomson or Beachcomber) or the travel agent books two parts of a holiday for you as a package (such as flights and accomodation or flights and car hire) then the Tour Operator or Travel Agent have an obligation to help you and you can claim against them.

You are also able to claim against the ATOL or ABTA policies.

LOULA

• 1 year later...

I have booked a holiday with sunmaster to turkey in august paid balance of 1020.00, and have a receipt for this from them, they are now insisting i still owe 700 pounds, and i have spoke to abta but they are not a member now i am trying trading standards and grobal travel group who they are member but to no avail.

I am now panicing if a so called professional company can lose this money and what can I do?

• 2 weeks later...

Another useful place to help resolve "holiday/travel" related issues is Home - Holiday Travel Watch they can help with all sorts of issues and queries related to travel industry.

There is a contact number for them which is an answerphone and they'll call you back very soon after getting your message details etc.. (or try their email contact) 0121 747 8100 this is a free service and worth having a look at their website.

They are a Consumer Action group who deal with holiday/travel issues - they are campaigning for better standards related to travel etc.. and they have lots of good advice available from them.

• 11 years later...

This topic was closed on 03/07/19.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6129 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks