I recently took my council to court and won can we now claim damages from them for harassment ?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4359 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

They were trying to extort money from several homeowners in two blocks of council flats for maintenance work that jumped from £2500 up to £32000 per block ( ten flats and 12 flats ) whilst the work was being carried out, we felt they did not do this according to the section 20 law and indeed we were proved right after 6 years of trying finally having to take them to court as they ignored everything we said but kept threatening us throughout this period.

Can we claim any damages against our council as all the harassment made us all very ill with depression and anxiety.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I joined this site yesterday for advice because of a council problem that I am having. Some of the replies from people suggested reporting them to the local government ombudsmen to register my complaint, which I think is helpful advice.

My own advice to you is perhaps you should try and put it behind you and be glad that you won. Don't think I am being sarcastic, as this is what I am having to do myself by the looks of it. Plus I think in a claim for damages it would be difficult to show that all of you became ill with depresion and anxiety. Maybe others will have more advice though. :-)

Whilst it might be possible to pursue a claim for damages for harassment, is it actually going to help or be counter-productive?

Yes, you might end up with some money but the council are unlikely to just roll over and pay so it would involve a huge amount of work on your part plus even more stress over court deadlines and gathering evidence and even just not knowing if you would win. It's not going to be a quick process either.

As snugs suggests you might be better off going to the local government ombudsman since that's likely to be much less stressful.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.