Employed for 10yrs but have a criminal record

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2245 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I've just joined this site as I a problem that has arisen that might affect my employment.

I was convicted in MAr 2000 for 4 counts of theft by deception at my employers. I got 30 months but was released in Apr 2001.

I have been working for this company for almost 10 years now. Originally I was taken on as an agency staff (in Sep 2001) and was then made permanent back in 2002. As far as I can recall I was never asked about a criminal record. However, since then I have applied for internal positions and moved around the company. On these internal applications there was a question about having a criminal record and I have always said no.

I now have chance to apply for jobs within our sister company in Canada. The visa process will force me to reveal my record and also tell the company in Canada. Which I'm happy to do.

But, I'm worried that the HR over there might speak to the HR over and discuss the record.

I would like some advice on what I should do. Do I inform HR here? And if I do what could happen to me? I have no blemishes on my work record.

I really would like move to Canada and easiest and quickest way of doing it is by transferring internally to our sister comapny.

And advice would be helpfull. Thanks in advance.

I would suggest that you need to be completely honest. That way, if you survive it, there will be nothing that can come up and bite you in the bum.

The question is - what is the best way to tell the truth.

If you are good at your job then you will have managers who think that you are good and who like you. I would think about deciding who among the senior management is the most well-disposed towards you.

Ask for a half hour appointment and go and see them and lay it all out and say that you are worried and could do with some help and a kindly word from above.

That senior manager might be able to approach someone even more senior so that all the people who matter, know about you and are on your side.

Then with their blessing - you ask for a meeting with HR. Maybe your manager would speak with HR first.

If you do it this way, you remain in reasonable control of events and also you come out completely which will give you huge peace of mind

Thanks Bankfodder.

I spoke to one of the senior managers I get along with. He basically adviced me to speak to these guys that we can ring for any problems (presonnal or work related), confidential and free service for employees at our place. See what they say, then get some advice from an employee lawyer, then speak to my manager and let him before applying for jobs in canada. The thing is that senior manager is leaving the company soon, so I don't think he would have got too involved, plus I think when I told him this morning it might have come as shock to him as I have known for almost 4 years.

Good luck to you

Hi

Just so you are aware (In case it gets mentioned; forewarned is forearmed after all) if you have been convicted of an offence, you will be unable to take part in the visa waiver scheme. This does not mean you can't go to Canada, but the process is a bit more complicated and costs a little bit more. Basically the police have to do a report and the Canadian Embassy have to rubber stamp it before allowing entry.

Might be an idea to offer to pay the cost (it was £70 but it has gone up now I think)

I'm not saying any of this to upset you or anything it's just for you to be aware in case it's mentioned.

I think the new life in Canada sounds fab!

All the best

Gbarbm

Gbarbm

Hi again compaq

Found this for you

If you have committed or been convicted of a criminal offence, you may not be allowed to enter Canada. You may have to apply for criminal rehabilitation under Canada's Immigration and Refugee Protection Act.

Criminal offences include both minor and serious offences, such as theft, assault, manslaughter, dangerous driving and driving while under the influence of drugs or alcohol. For a complete list of criminal offences in Canada, consult the Canadian Criminal Code.

If you were convicted of a crime when you were under the age of 18, you can probably still enter Canada.

There is information on the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website regarding overcoming criminal inadmissibility, as well as a useful Frequently Asked Questions section. *

However, in accordance with a Canadian decision, Burgon (case dated 21st February 1991 in the Federal Court of Appeal in Canada), criminal convictions obtained in the UK are generally assessed under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 instead of under the Immigration & Refugee Protection Act.. As a result, once your criminal record becomes spent under the 1974 Act, you cease to be inadmissible to Canada. For more information about this, see letters from the High Commission of Canada and the Citizenship and Immigration Canada.

Gbarbm

I'm sure if you tell them the truth and the fact you've worked for them for 10 years will go a long way, after all we've all done daft things when we were younger (no

I'm not telling you what I did ;-)

All the best

Gbarbm

Gbarbm

• 6 years later...

As the OP hasn't been on the site since 2012, and the last post on this thread was a little over 6 years ago. I think perhaps that this one has run its course.

I'll close it for now unless & until the OP asks for it to be reopened.

Please note that my posts are my opinion only and should not be taken as any kind of legal advice.
In fact, they're probably just waffling and can be quite safely and completely ignored as you wish.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2245 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks