please help.tax credit overpayment

shel83
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4476 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi ,

this is my first time on this site and i am desperate for some help!!....my story

i split up with my husband in april 2011. we have 3 young children and it was a very upsetting time.my husband moved out of our jointly owned home and stayed with friends etc.he came round regulary to look after the children as i work shifts.he continued to pay the bills etc for us to stay in the house but gave me no other money towards daily needs for children etc ..that is why i turned to child tax credits. i rang them to inform them i was no longer with my husband and put in a single claim.

i asked what info they needed (which they said none) and informed me of my new award.

my husband and i decided in novemeber 2011 to try and make a go of things again- which was great and everything started looking up .

i contacted tax credits and stopped my single award .

on christmas eve i received the most awful letter from them stating they believed i had falsy claimed and would be investigated.obviously recieving the letter on xmas eve left me distraught, having panic attacks and there was nothing i could do as they were closed until new year.

I am so upset about this whole situation , i rang them and as he was still paying the bills for the house they said unless i have proof of where he was staying (which i dont) there is nothing i can do.

so as it stands i have a letter stating i have been overpaid 6000!!!! and need to contact them to pay it back_in april!!!!!!

i am sorry for rambling on , but i am desperate for some advice - i have had a horrible year and the worst xmas ever , i cant sleep or eat and have constant fear i will be sent to court or jail:( . i have never been in trouble in my life and honestly did not realise i was doing anything wrong!! when i contacted them to say he had moved out they did not ask any info eg who paid bills.

any help would be greatly appreciated.:sad: i just want it sorted , i am thinking about disputing it but im so fed up and want it dealt with asap.

michelle

unless i have proof of where he was staying (which i dont)

Are you doing this alone? Why not ask our husband and see if he will get the proof required. Even if it was at a mates house, a sworn affidavit can be obtained.