Barclays offer to close an account and write off amount 3 part issue ***Settlement Reached***

Deb T
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 918 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I haven't looked at my credit for years, last time I did and within a few weeks the likes of Lowell and Robinson Way then started up again

sending me letters for other now no longer relevant accounts.

I'm able to get online to the personal account, it's live, all statements from the past 10 years are there ( I have the ones previous to that)

I dont see any default , would I see it?

I'm not sure if the above is what you mean default?

(thanks for the SAR's list, now printed out) I'll locate the data controller within barclays on the morrow and send the sars recorded.

I reside in Dawlish Warren but am not a rabbit.

no you wouldn't see it but the sar will reveal it.

if its not on your credit file now

88% its already had one and ben removed so cant comeback

nearly all credit files are free now

noddle

Experian

etc etc

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

why ever do you not want to do your credit file?

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

" andyorch, If I thought I had a chance I'd give it a go, but I'm guessing as it's fees not charges it doesn't apply. "

Really ..whats the difference between a fee and a charge ?

Well the following cant be correct ....

JAN 2009 Statement 'End Balance £6489.14

JAN 2018 Statement 'End Balance £6401.03

Payments made 96 months at no less than £100 pcm

or £9600

Balance reduced in the last 8 years £88.11p

In short approx £20,000 has been paid on this overdraft

On the Barclays Website it states for personal Overdraft borrowing the max charge is £32 per month (EG If you use an overdraft of £1,200 you'll be charged £1.50 per day when you use it.)

or £9600 over the period

"It is classed as an 'Executive O/D Flex (that named account no longer exists)

It's classed as my personal account (which is only use for paying/servicing this overdraft "

https://www.barclays.co.uk/current-accounts/bank-account/overdrafts/

I suspect its still being treated as a 'Executive O/D Flex Current account

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

It's mindset,

I went for years with it,

saw the various issues on it,

fought with a couple of bottom feeding DCA' re their updates/entries and when they wouldnt budge

I went to the cra (experian at the time) supplied them with the relevant info to have the file adjusted and they stonwalled me for ages

then came back with

'you'll have to speak to the dca as it's not our issue'

in the meantime my rating was mashed

My ability to raise capital or even own a CC was diminished...

.none of which was actually my fault,

as one shining example arc added

two years onto a default..

.it was never removed.

i stopped looking at it...for a fair few years

tupidly went and logged back an account with experian ..

.in the years away from not having one I had zero communication with alleged creditors,

within a few short weeks of reapplying for my file

I had two come out of the woodwork...coincidence possibly, but I doubt it.

I don't want to see my credit file again ever

I'll live with the consequences of that should something come and bite me in the ass.

" andyorch, If I thought I had a chance I'd give it a go, but I'm guessing as it's fees not charges it doesn't apply. "

Really ..whats the difference between a fee and a charge ?

Well the following cant be correct ....

JAN 2009 Statement 'End Balance £6489.14

JAN 2018 Statement 'End Balance £6401.03

or £9600

Balance reduced in the last 8 years £88.11p

In short approx £20,000 has been paid on this overdraft

On the Barclays Website it states for personal Overdraft borrowing the max charge is £32 per month (EG If you use an overdraft of £1,200 you'll be charged £1.50 per day when you use it.)

or £9600 over the period

"It is classed as an 'Executive O/D Flex (that named account no longer exists)

It's classed as my personal account (which is only use for paying/servicing this overdraft "

https://www.barclays.co.uk/current-accounts/bank-account/overdrafts/

Andy

Just to clarify,

the above figures (balance) as stated in my posts further up are approx,

I've not given the actual o/d amount as I don't want barclays as yet being able to recongise me,

the amounts paid back are correct as in minimum £100, sometimes more.

Over the years the overdraft fees have changed as and when Barclays change their structuring on the account.

The very first interest debit 18 years ago was for £88,

it remained like that for a few years,

it then changed as they switched it about to almost £130 pcm and over the years it's fluctuated between the £3per day it is at the moment to around £112 fixed amount about 5 years ago.

..I've always met the amount of interest they've charged,

sometimes to the penny,

sometimes by a few £s more.

Essentially though,

the first statement 18years ago,

to the latest statement of Jan 18

the difference between the balances being approx £150 ,

last statement charged me £93 interest,

payment made in £100,

this months will be less as it's Feb and currently barclays charge to my account is £3 per day

I should also add that one payment was missed in 2014 due to my being hospitalised,

however, the account was enough in credit not to go overdrawn (just)

by overdrawn I mean not over the overdraft limit.

I'd be happy to post statements up but it would be difficult to redact without it looking almost blank....

I thought charges were for going over the limit/ making cheques that can't be cashed etc...there is none of that, it's fees charged as interest only that has ever been added. Isn't that the difference when it comes to making a claim against them

Part what brought me to try and do something is that from this month I can no longer go into the branch and pay money across the counter/via a machine unless I have my bank card (some new barclays regulation) and I haven't had one of those ( termed a 'connect' card) for a decade ..

.I've just used my sort code /account number but now I will have to use a card but didn't / dont want to apply for a new one as I wasnt wanting to alert them to my account in any way ...and they haven't sent me one for a decade either.

I have the sars printed out, got the postal order and am ok to send it (was going to send Friday but I hung back pending reading up on this particular part of the forum)

In any case, I have since found a link on line on Barclays where I can apply for the sar online via their website, once requested they then send me notification

and a payment request for the sar (be that by cheque/postal order)

On the online form it asks for a variety of details, such as info held by Barclays/Barclaycard etc etc..

. I have Barclaycards, both of which have zero balance on them (and a available credit limit collectively of 25k)

I don't want the info on them,

so should I adjust the sar to simply state 'Barclays Current Account' or leave it and see what comes back.

I'm thinking that once I do go at them that they'll simply limit the cards and call them in.

...not that it bothers me as I don't use them.

Whether I want home delivery or delivered to a branch (the latter is my preference)...

Daytime/Evening phone numbers, last know addresses for last 3 years and so on.

---

Wheras the Sar from here simply gives the account number, my name/address and signature...

I'm loathe to go the online route due to the extra questions,

I'm stll sort of at the same address (have access to it/visit it/ am billed for varying items and I can be contacted there..

.however my telephone number has changed,

I don't want to give Barclays my updated one,

more so that I don't actually give it out anywhere these days (data harvesting etc)

I will include a covering letter requesting that for security I would prefer the info requested be sent to the branch and for them to email me when that has been done. I have an email on file with them which is current etc.

So, unless there is any extra benefit to the online sar request I'm guessing the sar template here is suffice (correctly filled in of course)

Also, since lookin at my paperwork, I have found a letter from the bank authorsing the overdraft (early 2000) and where amongst other things it states

You can overdraw up to your limit whevr you want but you should not be permanently overdrawn by the whole amount' which is pretty much how it's been 'permanently overdrawn' and by pretty much the full amount since that letter...18years ago.

Also, reading back from some letters I've found out in 01/02 (approx 10 of) their are charges on the account for the overdraft exceeding the limit and for a few cheques that bounced.

They also mention the overdraft is subject to an annual service charge of £50 (that was then) but I can't see

that charge on any statement out of the 170+ that I have.

deb t

just send OUR SAR

you don't really need to put any numbers

poss simply add a line you are happy to collect from XXX branch

and they

• 7 months later...

SAR has arrived took them a while, I first went for their online application for it, didn't arrive, then went for a manual one, but never heard anything, in the end I called in at a branch

and waited (almost an hour) for them to come back and give me the correct address to send it to.

It was sent, I got an update to say it was ready at the branch, called in at the branch and they couldn't find it, went back a week later, still unable to find it, so went in and played

my face 'not leaving until you give it to me' 2hours later they brought it out to me, all neatly packaged in 2 sealed bags, each about the thickness of a ream of printer paper, most

of it is statements from quite a way back (barclaycards also)

What am I specifically to look for?

Post 21 22?

and they

I'll work thorugh it, there are over 1500 pages

Well, having trawled through it..

.I can see nothing of any relevance,

there are some letters I have (not contained in the sar) which show one side of an agreement on overdrafts,

there are also charges from going over the agree overdraft (small limit) called 'over buffer referral or something, about ten of them from the late 90's and early 00's...

.the exec o/d was at the top amount by 2003,

there were letters in 2002 (again not in the sar, but what I have) stating they were concerned that I'd gone over the overdraft limit, that I hadn't been in credit since 1998 (it's not been in credit since 1998 up to todays date, 20 years of overdrawn, in that letter they stated they review the account annually, clearly they haven't been.

Studying the statements in the sar I can see the last time the account was used by me for a £15 purchased,

since then up to todays date other than £5 charged by Barclays (for statements I'd requested) there has been no activity for 9 years other than them adding interest and my paying in to keep the o/d within it's limit and pay the interest......

(rough figures contained in one of my posts above)

Thats pretty much it....

Should have stopped paying 9yrs ago

and they

you have the proof now..

pers i'd be complaining...re:

and they

It is still being treated as an Executive O/D Flex Account. The account no longer exists in it's current format.

What am I looking to stick at them?

What points? (sorry if that sounds a dumb question) and where should I be aiming it at?

Branch level are hopeless,

so is the Area branch,

CS will just put it in a queue,

I'd like to get it seen by someone that can make a decision or at least make something happen to help address it...

Post 12? 20/21?

and they

• 8 months later...

Unable to see where and who I am to 'flag' up the below post as wanting to add to it so I'll add it here and hope a team member can merge it...

It's been a while since I added to this, nothing has changed except I have an SAR now, it doesn't say a lot, just oodles of statements etc

and a few small minor codes that translate to them saying 'customer may be in trouble'   but nothing.

To add further and to update....

Status Quo: (I'm sure the overdraft is nearly as old as them)

1:  I'm still meeting the overdraft interest payments every month and nothing more.

2: I have again been in to the original branch, plus my local branch for help, neither were able to point me

to anywhere but 'customer services' on the phone

as in no one in branch was able to help due to the account being so old

3: Account is the same . Barclays Executive Overdraft.

4:  Latest statement update is I still have an overdraft with them of - £6,718.20 overdrawn...

5: Update on the sums I am now able to do to pinpoint within the last decade.

Account has been overdrawn since 2001 ....and by 5, 6 and then 7k (last 14 years on the latter at least)

6:  This is the latest figures.   June 7th 2009  Overdrawn  £6,750.56p   a decade later  June 10th 2019 - Overdrawn £6.718.20p 

7:  In 120 payments made to them 10 years x 12 months of £100(minimum) £12,000

8: Reduction in o/d in ten years £32.36

9: No other transactions by me on this account in these quoted10 years...and beyond, just me paying interest, Barclays applying

interest...I have not drawn on the account in over 12 years probably longer

10: No overdraft reviews appear to have been conducted on the account for what looks like 14 years (account has been open

over 20 years)

11: I have not used exact amounts of balance or overdraft so as to limit Barclays identifying my account (for now) but all

account figures are representative within £20 and the £12,000 is a little less than has been paid back as some months

when they changed their interest dates/account details the amount went up....and judging by the new rules coming in

next year it looks like it will go up even more.

I know it was suggested to take Barclays to court for 'fees'  but I still do not understand what fees?  O/D is not a fee is it?

What I would like is an person within Barclays that I can send and expanded version of above to and where they can deal

with it without putting me at the mercies of Barclay Customer Services who frankly have been dire when attempting to

discuss this with......

I have worked hard over the last 8 or 9 years with info gleaned from Cag and it's members to tackle my debts (and others)

head on....this is the last one of them all......The overdraft is classes as an Barclays Executive Overdraft, it was business but

that all went pete tong in 2002 and they then sort of renamed the account/over draft and here I am.  I was thinking that

as it was termed a Business Overdraft (even tho it's now on what is seen as a personal account) that the overdraft if called

in (which is Barclays will do as soon as make formal contact with them over it...although not sure why the request for the

SAR didn't instigate something last year) is that they will enter it onto my credit record and I'm back to square one and where

in real terms I have done as much as I can to try and rectify this account....i THINK...

Deb

Edited by Deb T
added content

Threads merged...not sure why you couldn't simply post to the original thread Deb ?

Andy

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

Hey Andy, thanks for that...

There was nowhere for me to post it/add..it gave a message asking to flag a member of the team...

However, the layout is taking a bit of getting used to ( I rather like it) so the error may be on my part and

I can only apologise if thats the case.  ( I did look hard mind)

Click your name and it shows you your activity...all your posts and threads.

Thanks for the tip....I did...wish I hadn't  ha!  my gormless self started this thread in 2012....and in 7 years I'm here again...nothing has changed, not

even the balance....(give or take a few £)

Each time I get here, I'm full of momentum, then get sidetracked, put it to one side and forget about it (until the next payments due)

I can't do that any more, don't want to do it anymore so this time I've cleared my desk, got out my best crayons and am attempting to put together

a letter ...to whom I dont know....but i'll find someone....

I doubt you will ever got off the Barclays money go round...thats the way its been designed.

I know what I would do .......may be of interest to you although I dont think its retrospective,

I'm all ears (figuratively speaking)    unless you mean stop paying......

Going through this sar, data since the account opened which was 1993...most of the ABBRV codes I have no idea bout or even

able to work it out...BUT I thought O/Ds were subject to annual / status reviews...I put them on notice as early as 2011 that

I needed help.....but they just continue to collect....no review mentioned since 2005, hardly responsible lending.

Its the only way...they will either assign it to a DCA or write it off (Banks do not tend to litigate on overdrafts directly)

If you had stopped the gravy train in 2011 it would be statute barred now.