• Tweets

• Paragraph 18 – you are still talking about Boston stolen items. About time this was fixed??? Paragraph 19  In any event, the claimant's PS5 gaming device was correctly declared and correctly valued. The defendant accepted it for carriage and was even prepared to earn extra money by selling sell insurance in case of its loss or damage. New paragraph 20 – this the defendant routinely sells insurance in respect of "no compensation" items (a secondary contract contrary to section 72 CRA 2015) new paragraph above paragraph 20 – the defendant purports to limit its liability in respect of lost or damaged items. This is contrary to section 57 of the consumer rights act 2015. The defendant offers to extend their liability if their customer purchases an insurance cover for an extra sum of money. This insurance is a secondary contract calculated to exclude or limit their liability for the defendants contractual breaches and is contrary to section 72 of the consumer rights act 2015. New paragraph below paragraph 42 – the defendant merely relies on "standard industry practice" You haven't pointed to the place in your bundle of the Telegraph newspaper extract. You have to jiggle the paragraphs around. Even though I have suggested new paragraph numbers, the order I have suggested is on your existing version 5. You will have to work it out for your next version. Good luck!   Let's see version 6 Separately, would you be kind enough to send me an unredacted to me at our admin email address.
    • i think theres been MORE than amble evidence of that and am astonished that criminal proceedings haven't begun.
    • Yep, those 'requirements' not met to shareholders satisfaction seem to me to be: 1. Not being allowed to increase customer bills by 40% (of which well over 50% of the new total would NOT be investment) 2. 1 plus regulators not agreeing to letting them do 'things in their own time (ie carry on regardless)
    • As already mentioned freely available "credit scores" are fairly useless. All lenders have their own "credit scoring" system, that for obvious reasons they don't divulge. And they're "scored" differently to the freely available ones. As soon as they could, we've always encouraged our two children to use credit cards responsibly... Pay off in full, etc, to generate good history. It's paid off. At quite young ages, they have both obtained loans for cars, mortgage and their credit card limits are through the roof. Personally, I have shifted debt around a lot on credit cards (even financed a house purchase once at 0% 😉) and I've only ever been refused a credit card once, sorry twice by the same company, over many years. They must have something very different in their lending criteria. You're a tight one, Mr Branson.
    • Hi DX - quick question, what is the bank likely to do when they get my letter of change of address ? also what is the worst they can do? thanks J1L
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

RBS take DD 4 days early! Due 28th, leaves my account 24th!

gemspan
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4459 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My bank account is with RBS. I have a few direct debits set up with them.

I recently had to give up my job due to health reasons and had my first payment of ESA on Friday 23rd December. I paid a couple of things and was left with some money to do my christmas food shopping on Christmas Eve.

Before I went food shopping on the 24th I checked my bank account online. Good job I did because I had no money in it. A DD due to come out on the 28th had been taken from my account. The DD was dated 28th, the transaction was dated 28th but this was on the 24th.....4 days before 28th.

I got on to phone banking and asked them what was going on as this should not be leaving my account until the 28th. They told me that due to the bank holiday it had left early and they wouldnt be able to refund the money into my account. At this point I was sitting with £168 overdraft and no food in the house....absolutely no food...de nada! I demanded to speak to a manager and was told they would phone me back. I stayed on the line until a Manager spoke to me.

They credited my account with the amount of the overdraft plus £50 so that I could get food. I was so distressed at the time that I accepted this but I've been thinking about it since. I've cancelled the direct debit now so it will not come out of my account and, because it had put me into overdraft, I will get charged for it.

There will not be enough money in my account tomorrow to cover the DD but I have until 2pm to credit money to my account for this to be paid. Unfortunately, it won't be paid until next week but that's not the point.

If a DD is due to come out on the 28th...that's the date it should come out. The 24th December is not the 28th and I just wondered if anybody else had experienced this before. RBS systems seem to think it's OK to take the money out 4 days early rather than on the morning of the 28th. I have been without money over Christmas and I'm really angry about it.

Is this wrong? Is the bank allowed to do this? It clearly states on my statement that the payment is dated 28th but has been out of my account since the 24th. Something wrong here! I have never had this in all my time using banks. The DD comes out on the day it is due....not 4 days early if it is a bank holiday. The 28th is not a bank holiday.

Thanks for any help.

Gempsan

Hi, Gem.

I know Barclays direct debits between 24th and 28th went out on Friday 23rd but were dated 28th on statements ?

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Hiya

Nice to speak to you again!!! Not been on here for a long time but sorting out a few bits and pieces at the moment....PPI and mis-sold bank loans. Hope you had a lovely Christmas!!! xx

I can see it coming out early if the due date was 26th or 27th...but it was the 28th and that's a banking day so there was absolutely no need for it to come out then as it could easily have left my account on the morning of 28th! If you see what I mean. After all, if I was being paid on the 28th, it wouldn't go into my bank account on the 24th.....it would appear on the 28th! As I have up to 2pm to credit my account with the money to cover the DD then they had no right to take the money out of my account on the 24th as it could still have been paid into the account on the 28th as the bank is open. It's not as if the bank is shut tomorrow. I just think this is another way that the banks are ripping us off. They're slow to pay money in - but quick to take it out.

I just wondered if this was legal or considered to be treating their customers unfairly.....as the customer cannot to anything to stop this happening. It even states on the online statement is being paid on the 28th -and has been paid on the 28th.....when it was actually paid on the 24th!!

I hope I'm making sense here.

Thanks a lot

Gemspan x

Hi, Gem.

Good to see you back on the site, I know where your coming from, they seem to make the rules up as they go along. I've had a look around and can't find any sort of definitive answer for you, I think D/ D's are down to the company concerned and are erratic to say the least sometimes around bank holidays.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Yeah I do agree with you there but........the bank is open on the 28th and the debit is showing on my bank account as the 28th - but it was taken on the 24th. I think I'll drop them a line and quote the trading guidelines to them. This seems very unfair as there is absolutely nothing that can be done by the customer to stop this happening. If they show a transaction happening on the 28th then IMO that's when it should happen.....not the 24th! If it comes out on the 24th then it should be shown as the 24th.....they've basically had my money 4 days before the due date and left me with nothing.... If I hadn't demanded to speak with a manager I would have had no money over Christmas. I know there will be a lot of people who aren't as strong as I am and will have gone without over this time. It's just not fair....or indeed ethical..... So why am I surprised!!!! lol:wink:

Yep, same thing here with RBS. But in my case, I was quite pleased as it stopped me spending the bill money. I do get the point though, 28th is a working day so this shouldn;t have happened. So you save a little for Xmas, leave it in your current account so you can do your Xmas shopping, you know you get paid 28th as is the norm, your bills get paid out of the money you receive on 28th as is the norm, but in the meantime RBS decide to pay early and use your Xmas shopping cash to do it with! Yes, very good of them.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm afraid that I have to disagree with you. I do work in the banking sector, but not for RBS - however, my account is with them. If my payday falls on a Monday, the balance shows that it is available from Saturday, though the actual debit date shows the Monday's date.

What has happened here is that 24th December was a Saturday, so is not a 'true' banking day (it's only been recent times that banks open on Saturdays). In my own company, to avoid clogging up online transactiions, scheduled payments occur during the daily computer batch processing - as this wouldn't run on Saturdays and Sundays (nor Bank Holidays which fall at the begiining of the week), the process is done on the Friday overnight process.

I appreciate that iant54. I have never had this with any other bank I have banked with so I don't know if its a new thing. There's nothing that can be done but it just annoyed me at the time and caused even more stress at a very stressful time of the year.....lol

Thanks for your input. I still don't think it's fair as my wages have never shown on the Saturday....lol

Gemspan

I understand your frustration with this - I used to have a business account with Lloyds and this was an ongoing issue for me as everytime a dd fell due at a weekend or around a bank holiday they paid it early - it was incredibly difficult to manage my money! When i went in to complain I discovered that it is common practice to pay dds early - sometimes for no apparent reason - if the receiver calls it. British gas once took my electricity payment (around £400) on 15th when it was due to come out on 28th!!! And the bank simply allowed it!

I don't know if it helps but i set up a lot of my payments on standing order instead. If a standing order falls due on a weekend or bank holiday it is not paid until AFTER the date as it cannot leave your account before the date authorised by you. This means that bank holidays and weekends work in YOUR favour rather than the bank's

Just something to think about for the future maybe