Paid the Wrong Account

zoomboy
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4285 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Made a bit of an error last month. My son who's moved out and is subletting (let's not go into that), needed to pay his rent. As I was managing his account for him I tried to pay from his account, but it wouldn't allow me to setup a payee without prior authorisation - that's not bad.

So I thought I'd be helpful and pay his rent from my bank "First Direct" as I could process any authorisation needed. So I pay and then transfer the money from his account to mine as I'm already an authorised payee from his account.

Money out, money in - no problem... except his landlady has given him the wrong bank account number :!: Him not knowing what is going on goes to his bank - the Halifax, and they simply credit his account with the £225 - very good of them, but this is money from my account, so at some point they'll be wanting it back.

Now I get in touch with my bank and ask them to chase up the erroneous payment. They start it off and I have to periodically ask for updates on the dates when they say they'll have more info. A month later and I'm now at the point where I get a message that the payee has been contacted by their bank and not responded, so I must wait another 20 days.

In the mean time my son has now paid his landlady - which is just out of order IMO. But then he had the money to do it, because his bank gave him the credit the day he asked for it.

So technically neither of us is out of pocket - yet. But it's got to happen at some point. His bank will want the £225 from him or me.

But what are the rules regarding this kind of thing? Is there a chance I'll get my money back? I know it's his landlady's mistake - but she's been paid, so there's no hope of recovering it from that side.

I've asked the bank what this means - but they're not the snappiest of responders and I thought I'd ask for another opinion.

The day his bank wants the money back from him, is the day when his world collapses as he really can't afford to be out of pocket by that much... and neither can I right now :(

You thoughts are most welcome.

• 1 month later...

Well this is still going on ... :Cry:

Every time FD contact me they say "have I tried contacting the recipient?" FFS how am I meant to do that? All I have is an account number.

I know it's my mistake, but if this had been a multi-,illion pound transaction would I still be struggling to get my money back? Surely the banks have some mechanism in place to recover a wrong payment?

• 2 weeks later...

Good evening zoomboy,

The only advice I can offer in regards to this situation is to request a BACS trace of a Faster Payment trace (dependant on how the funds were sent). First Direct will be able to provide you with a document to prove were the funds have been sent to. With this document, you can then challenge the receiving bank and request your funds back. As the error was not made by First Direct they unfortunately will not be able to claim your funds back for you. Best of luck in reclaiming your funds.

• 5 months later...

I should have come back on here sooner. Thanks for your reply. First Direct did in fact eventually refund my money. I spoke with a very understanding lady who said she would do what she could, she said it maybe impossible, but she'd try. I being the pessimist doubted any good would come of it.

A few months later and I get a mysterious payment into my account - no explanation, no letter follows and when I called they couldn't tell me anything other than it had be repaid. Maybe they even paid it back without getting it from the erroneous payee? I guess I'll never know.

But in the week I got my money back my sons bank (Halifax) also took their money back off him - so we all end up even. But it seems a strange coincidence that that week all the transactions are reversed.

It still makes me think though. What would happen if a multimillion pound company paid a million into the wrong account - hopefully mine? Would the bank still sit on their hands?