• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Problem With Service Received By Kwik Fit

Tim C
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4485 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I took my car to Kwik Fit beginning of August 2011 for a brake check, as I was taking my family on holiday three weeks later and since we would be traveling a 3000 mile round trip I figured it was a sensible thing to do just to be on the safe side (as there was some vibration and juddering during hard braking). After two hours in the garage, they called me to pick the car up, and I was told that everything was fine and the check sheet they produced had all the ticks and no service required. As for the juddering, I was told that maybe the discs are slightly warped but it's something you might have to live with. So we decided to go for it and on the second day of our trip, driving through Germany, we started hearing this knocking sound which grew louder and louder and the ABS light came on. I decided to stop and call RAC Europe which I'm a member of. The car was picked up and taken to a main dealership, where the mechanic confirmed that the thread on the two main bolts that connect the caliper to the mount was totally non-existent and he showed me how the whole assembly could move freely just by pushing it by hand. They deemed the car unsafe to drive therefore after a nightmare evening thanks to the RAC as well (whose service was appalling, but that's another story) we had to drive a rental car back to the UK. Because the trade value of the car, I was told that the car could not be repatriated, so I had to bite the bullet and ended up paying over 500 GBP to have it fixed, and eventually had to go and pick it up. When I went to drive the car off, the ABS light came on, so I went back in the shop and asked the mechanic and he said that as he had told me earlier (but I hadn't figured out what he was saying because his English wasn't very good), this was because the wire to the sensor on the other side had been cut and taped at some point by someone. Anyway, I contacted Kwik Fit because I was very angry after being told by both the mechanic in Germany and my mechanic in the UK (who I now wish I had gone to in the first place), that the outcome could have been much worse, the car could have rolled and all sorts. After several letters and phone calls (they even asked me to go and see one of their ops managers at one of their centers and bring the old part which I brought back from Germany, but he never showed up), they have finally sent me a cheque for 150 GBP for the inconvenience and reassured me that a full investigation has taken place so that this kind of thing never happens again, but I don't feel the offer is enough and was wondering if anyone knows if it's worth taking matters further, and if so where.

This is totally unacceptable and you must take this further. On issues such as this that could have resulted in death and serious injury it is imperative that Kwik fit demonstrate with absolute clarity that they take the matter extremely seriously. Not only could you have been killed, but other members of the public could have died too and their response from what you have said displays a cavalier disregard for public safety.

Email your local trading standards. You can get the email adress of your local trading standards officer by ringing 08454 040506. Do not raise a formal complaint on the phone as they are under pressure and often can be uninterested in complaints like this. I suggest you engage them with this by email.

Nasty failure.

The bolts concenred would have been removed when disks/pads were replaced before. If it is the bolts that hold the carrier assembly to the suspension upright, these are usually quite strong and would be difficult to strip, and unlikely to be stripped unless a very inexperienced mechanic was feeling overly strong.

The bolts that hold the carrier casting that secures the pads and caliper assembly together are another matter. These are usually not overly tight and in my experience, the bolts supplied with some replacement brake pad kits are very soft and easy to strip. Either way, it is unlikely that KF would have spotted this as unless parts were obviously insecure as they probably did little more than a visual inspection to see if the disks and pads were excessively or unevenly worn. What did the garage replace?