Late monthly payment of Council Tax causes us problems

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4541 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there everyone from a first time poster :-)

I would love someone's advice on this Forum.about my current problems with payment of Council Tax at the moment. We are up to date on our payments as they stand for this year. :-)

On Wednesday, I received a letter stating that I was in arrears for my Council Tax. The reason for this was because I had not paid the monthly payment on the exact date ...the 7th of the month to be precise (we pay the post office per month rather than use a Direct Debit - my partner hates direct debits). I pay the Council Tax when it suits me.... but I always pay no matter what :-x

The letter said we had to pay £121 pounds x 4 on Dec 2011 and.Jan, Feb, Mar 2012 on top of our monthly payment of £138.00 - what a cheek!!

I rang up the Council people and they explained to me why I was fined, and I was shocked about the way they have slammed a lot of extra costs on me as they consider necessary due to the late payments as part of a Court issue.

They said the late payment are attached with legal reprecussons to my partner and myself if we refuse to pay. :shock:

The first payment of £121 is wanted on the 1/12/2011, and the council insisted we pay by direct Debit - I said my partner hates Direct Debits and that is how it ia, and will remain that way.

Can anyone advise me about my rights as I feel that the extra £500 a year... is a cheek to say the least - like I am made of money not. Talk about jobs worth.

I am originally from Scotland where the laws for paying council tax are very different as I am finding out to my cost. :mad2:

I am thinking of going to CAB but time is against me as we are busy solid for the next week.

Please could someone advise if my legal rights can by used to prevent these stupid additional payments that I feel are not due at all. :jaw:

Look forward to hearing people views about this, and if anyone else has been taken to the cleaners for the same issues, and if they resolved it!

Regards

Annoyed

Council Tax is due on the 1 April each year in full. As a dispensation the Council may allow you to pay in instalments over 10 months or so. If paying by any other method than Direct Debit then again this will be due on the 1st of the month and in cleared funds. If paying at the Post Office this may take approx 5 working days to reach your CT Account at the Council - so if due on the 1st you should really pay approx 1 week earlier than this. Some Councils will give a little leeway others will not and can be very strict.

They will write to you and ask that payments be brought up to date within 7 days, if that is not done they then have the authority to suspend all future instalments and insist on full payment for the rest of the year within another 7 days. Failure to carry this out may result in them applying to the local Magistrates Court for a Liability Order against you which can carry the threats of enforcement - Attachment of Earnings/Benefits, Bailiffs, Charging Order, Bankruptcy or Imprisonment.

You need to find out exactly how much CT is outstanding and what sort of action the Council have taken against you, ring them Monday and ask.

PT

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]