Involved in an accident abroad but not claimed

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4543 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello there, I am hoping someone can help me with my question as I cannot even begin to think where to research/google my query.

We had an accident while driving our car abroad (EU), we skidded and hit the side road barrier. My husband had a wrong breakdown cover and when we found out about it we didn't know what to do as the car was not "drivable"; so we rang the insurance company thinking they would suggest something helpful. However they didn't and we had to find a local mechanic to carry out the repairs.

We thought nothing of it on our return but now our car insurance is due for renewal and to our surprise our insurance premium went through the roof due to our accident. We didn't claim a penny from the insurance, paid for all repairs, hotel etc, there was no one else involved in the accident and there was no damage to the road or a side barrier so we don't understand why the insurance company penalised us for it.

Has anyone had any similar experience and would know if we should be declaring this when renewing the insurance? Would be greatful if anyone could point us in the right direction! Thanks in advance!

Phone and ask them. If it was your car and it was covered on a green card extension to your policy, then then accident is relevant. They may have registered an open claim on the policy and may not be willing to remove it, until they know for sure a claim won't be made by the owners of the barrier.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread