• Tweets

• Paragraph 18 – you are still talking about Boston stolen items. About time this was fixed??? Paragraph 19  In any event, the claimant's PS5 gaming device was correctly declared and correctly valued. The defendant accepted it for carriage and was even prepared to earn extra money by selling sell insurance in case of its loss or damage. New paragraph 20 – this the defendant routinely sells insurance in respect of "no compensation" items (a secondary contract contrary to section 72 CRA 2015) new paragraph above paragraph 20 – the defendant purports to limit its liability in respect of lost or damaged items. This is contrary to section 57 of the consumer rights act 2015. The defendant offers to extend their liability if their customer purchases an insurance cover for an extra sum of money. This insurance is a secondary contract calculated to exclude or limit their liability for the defendants contractual breaches and is contrary to section 72 of the consumer rights act 2015. New paragraph below paragraph 42 – the defendant merely relies on "standard industry practice" You haven't pointed to the place in your bundle of the Telegraph newspaper extract. You have to jiggle the paragraphs around. Even though I have suggested new paragraph numbers, the order I have suggested is on your existing version 5. You will have to work it out for your next version. Good luck!   Let's see version 6 Separately, would you be kind enough to send me an unredacted to me at our admin email address.
    • i think theres been MORE than amble evidence of that and am astonished that criminal proceedings haven't begun.
    • Yep, those 'requirements' not met to shareholders satisfaction seem to me to be: 1. Not being allowed to increase customer bills by 40% (of which well over 50% of the new total would NOT be investment) 2. 1 plus regulators not agreeing to letting them do 'things in their own time (ie carry on regardless)
    • As already mentioned freely available "credit scores" are fairly useless. All lenders have their own "credit scoring" system, that for obvious reasons they don't divulge. And they're "scored" differently to the freely available ones. As soon as they could, we've always encouraged our two children to use credit cards responsibly... Pay off in full, etc, to generate good history. It's paid off. At quite young ages, they have both obtained loans for cars, mortgage and their credit card limits are through the roof. Personally, I have shifted debt around a lot on credit cards (even financed a house purchase once at 0% 😉) and I've only ever been refused a credit card once, sorry twice by the same company, over many years. They must have something very different in their lending criteria. You're a tight one, Mr Branson.
    • Hi DX - quick question, what is the bank likely to do when they get my letter of change of address ? also what is the worst they can do? thanks J1L
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Taxman to make money from Payment Protection Insurance

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4386 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

A spokesman for HM Revenue & Customs told Radio 4's Money Box programme: "No tax is generally due on the repayment element of compensation paid to those missold PPI. However, the additional interest is taxable - in line with other compensation claims."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-15701101

Millions face an unexpected tax bill over PPI compensation. Customers who have waited weeks, sometimes months for their money will have to pay tax on the interest they receive. It was agreed with the regulator - the FSA - that victims of PPI mis-selling would receive interest at 8% - but that could come down significantly after the revenue have had their cut.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0171x1r

• 2 weeks later...

I wondered what happens if rather than the standard calculation they give a goodwill payment instead-seen a few older cards/loans where the banks don't have/can't be bothered to find the old statements and negotiate a compensation payment and banks being banks they say its a good will payment in full and final settlement.

In that case you can't break down which bit is the "8%", so what would be taxable-the whole amount?, 8% of the total?, allof it?

Ali x

Btw I am no expert just give notes based on what I have read on here and other forums/sites, plus my own experiences and investigations.

All ccj's now dropped off file, 2 yrs to go to clear file.

All old debts either settled or made unenforcable.

RBS MPP-Full offer at 8 wks from first complaint

RBS Overdraft loanguard-full offer at 8 wks from complaint

Citicard ppi-with FOS finally paid 8 months after offer through FOS!

Capital one x2- with FOS

Monument ppi-with FOS

aqua x2 ppi-partialled settled still pushing for the rest

Black horse ppi-offers made and accepted except for one early loan they say no info held-still pushing for payment

Right so better from a tax point of view if they offer a settlement, but I guess you are probably loosing out on the total paid on these older claims where all the info is not available anyway.

Ali x

Btw I am no expert just give notes based on what I have read on here and other forums/sites, plus my own experiences and investigations.

Capital one x2- with FOS

Monument ppi-with FOS

Black horse ppi-offers made and accepted except for one early loan they say no info held-still pushing for payment

Right so better from a tax point of view if they offer a settlement, but I guess you are probably loosing out on the total paid on these older claims where all the info is not available anyway.

Ali x

Matters not the age etc. All that matters is how the award is worded, for example a goodwill settlement of, say £500 plus 8% int of £100 would still mean that the 8% int has to be declared to HMRC.

If it was just a a goodwill settlement of £600 (with no mention of interest), the amount of award is the same as above but no interest element to delare to HMRC.

ims

Ahh got it ims, so its how they break down the award that matters.

Ali x

Capital one x2- with FOS

Monument ppi-with FOS

• 1 month later...

I've recently received a £12k payout from MBNA for miss-selling PPI.

Having read this thread and the artcles attached, can anyone advise where I stand with a potential Tax liability?

The breakdown given by MBNA is as follows (rounded figures by me):

PPI Premiums charged since the sale date £3.9k

The amount of interest associated with the PPI premiums £5.7k

Total amount of 8% interest £2.5k

Total amount payable to you £12k

The link to the BBC website mentions tax deducted at source. How do I find this out?

In any event, I intend to ask MBNA to breakdown their calculations and I think that this subject gives me a ligitimate reason to seek this info, but is the tax liability on the "interest associated with the premiums" or the "8% interest" or both?

Thanks

Edited by Tungata

IMS21 is correct. So if you are a basic rate tax payer then your liability to tax is £500 on this. As it is a bit of a chunk I would suggest you put it aside straight away when you get the repayment. HOWEVER, you need to check when the settlement arrives whether MBNA has already paid the tax on your behalf. HMRC rules would indicate that interest should be paid net of basic rate tax (as interest on savings in the bank is usually paid), meaning that if you are a basic rate tax payer you have nothing more to pay. However some banks/card companies have not interpreted the rules that way and are paying gross. If tax has been deducted it will be clearly stated on the documentation and if in doubt you can always call MBNA and ask. (If the interest is paid with 20% tax deducted and you are not a tax payer you can get a refund from HMRC)

Part of your settlement is a refund of interest charge don the PPI premium. That is not liable to income tax.

Thanx for the guidance

I'm a higher rate tax payer so, based on my figures and these comments, I see two scenarios

1) Tax deducted at Source

Total Interest = £3125

20% Tax deducted (at source) = £625

Amount paid to me = £2,500

My Tax liability (another 20%) = £625

2) Gross amount paid to me

Amount paid to me = £2,500

My Tax liability (40%) = £1,000

So, I need to set aside between £625 and £1000, to keep the Revenue happy, at the end of this Tax year

Correct?

As a side issue. how do the Revenue get to know about this? My honesty? :wink:

Cheers

You pay tax at whatever your tax rate so yes what you say looks right to me.

Most banks pay gross....there are only a couple that deduct at source.

It is up to you to make a full declaration of your tax affairs each year...not for HMRC to find out.

ims

You pay tax at whatever your tax rate so yes what you say looks right to me.

Most banks pay gross....there are only a couple that deduct at source.

It is up to you to make a full declaration of your tax affairs each year...not for HMRC to find out.

ims

Any payments of interest over £50 in a tax year are automatically notified to HMRC by the bank in question. IN practice you are not talking about huge sums here in the grand scheme of things.

How much extra you pay depends on whether the £2500 you get is the net or gross figure

Any payments of interest over £50 in a tax year are automatically notified to HMRC by the bank in question. IN practice you are not talking about huge sums here in the grand scheme of things.

How much extra you pay depends on whether the £2500 you get is the net or gross figure

Yes agreed...but the onus is still on the taxpayer to make a full declaration.

ims

interesting reading here.me and my partner have just been sent a 7k refund of payment protection

insurance.my partner works full time and pays tax.however i,m currently in reciept of employment

and support allowence.this is a joint account.does this mean when we put this money in to

our joint building society account i will be taxed as i,m on benefits ? if so what rate would that be

at many thanks.

How is this worked out if the settlement has PPI premiums, Compounded interest and 8% Stat on top?

Surely if the PPI was never added then the Premiums could have been invested in an ISA?

This is not as simple as it seems?

It is simple as far as tax law is concerned on the 8%.

Where you pick up the point about the premiums and contractual which would have been available for investment elsewhere, this is where the principle of restitution comes into play.

It boils down to the regulatory or court route

ims

Waddington

Everyone is entitled to an annual personal tax allowance which is currently £7475 .

If your total income from wages, some benefits and investments exceed that figure, you will pay tax on the balance at 20% on the first £35k of your income.

Gbarbm