WTC, but just lost my job....

Jaybee in CF
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4544 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

My probie period at work ended this week, unsuccessfully. However I just found out my application for WTC is successful and backdated, the payments are up and running.

Forgive me if this is really, really a dumb question, but do you still need to be working to receive the credits? In addition, I need to go onto Carers Allowance to look after my old fella, can I get both, or just either?

Thanks all,

Jaybee.

You should be able to get any WTC from when your where working. When my wife retired I filled out a WTC application over the phone and even though she was not working they paid what she was owed from when she was. After we got the lump sum, they started making payments into our bank (which was a mistake), so I contacted them and told them of their mistake, they then stopped payments. They later asked for the overpayments, I wrote to them telling them it was their mistake and as the money had been spent they couldn't have it back. They later wrote and agreed.

You are entitled to the payments for the time you were employed and for the 4 week run on, you will just need to inform tem ofte change in your circumstances.

With regards to the Carers Allowance is your partner receiving middke or higher rate DLA Care component/ If yes then no problem with making the application for carers allowance (as long as nobody else is currently claiming carers for him) and don't forget to make an application for Income Support at the same time as you may have some entitlement depending on your household circumstances and income.

That's good news about the run-on!!! As for Carer's, it's actually my Dad I'm applying for. It's a complicated one, as he has an application for DLA in process, so I am in that strange twilight zone area where I'm not sure whether to apply for a rapid reclaim of JSA (my previous benefit) or move onto Carers.

However, I'm on that ridiculous 'Reed In Partnership' scheme so I may just take the Carer's option. Either way, I pay for Dad's care, either with my own time+effort, or I go to work and pay someone to do it for me.

Oh sorry I assumed that old fella was your partner, thats what mine gets called anyway (in addition to other affectinate and some no quite so affectionate terms don't worry it works the other way round too!)!

OK the easiest thing for you to do is to make the claim for Carers Allowance now but aso make a claim for JSA as a rapid reclaim but make sure you advise your personal adviser about your caring responsibilities so that your Job Seekers Agreement can be altered to reflect this until the carers allowance is decided.

If your Dad is successful and receives middle or higher rate care ten you will be entitled to the carers allowance and it will be paid from the date you made the claim and then you can move over to Income Support.

If his application is declined then you will turned down for carers allowance and then your Job Seekers Agreement will have to be reviewed as technically it will deemed that your father doesn't need as much care.

While you receive the 4 week run on please be aware that this income and your JSA will be affected for the 4 weeks too.

The reason I say about claiming JSA now is that you will not receive payment of carers until the DLA is decided which could take considerable time and then your carers will be sorted and decided quickly.

You will not receive payment of IS until the DLA and Carers is decided so you could potentially be left without any form of income.

I would double check with Tax Credits about payment of the 4 week run on and you can consider leaving your rapid reclaim until the day after the 4 week run ends, that will delay your retiurn to Reed but inevitably if your carers is not decided on or before this date you will be referred back to them immediately.

Oh sorry I assumed that old fella was your partner, thats what mine gets called anyway (in addition to other affectinate and some no quite so affectionate terms don't worry it works the other way round too!)!

Heh!!

OK the easiest thing for you to do is to make the claim for Carers Allowance now but aso make a claim for JSA as a rapid reclaim but make sure you advise your personal adviser about your caring responsibilities so that your Job Seekers Agreement can be altered to reflect this until the carers allowance is decided.

If your Dad is successful and receives middle or higher rate care ten you will be entitled to the carers allowance and it will be paid from the date you made the claim and then you can move over to Income Support.

If his application is declined then you will turned down for carers allowance and then your Job Seekers Agreement will have to be reviewed as technically it will deemed that your father doesn't need as much care..

Advice much appreciated!

While you receive the 4 week run on please be aware that this income and your JSA will be affected for the 4 weeks too

Ok, here's my question; can I be paid the WTC and JSA simultaneously during the run-on period???

As long as your WTC is less than your JSA then yes you will receive the WTC and then the top up of JSA to take you to the maximum amount of JSA that you are entitled to receive.

e.g JSA is £80 a week, WTC is £50 a week so you will receive £50 WTC with £30 a week JSA to take you to the £80 income per week.

(Hope that makes sense, youngest child is currently having a singing contest with the eldest!)

Unfortunately I would have to say yes.

It could be weeks or even months before a decision is made on your carers allowance. Do you need to claim HB/CtB? I know you don't need to claim JSA to be entitled to that help but why should you leave youself out of pocket by £13 per week, that could amount to £52 that you have lost which by all accounts i the best part of a weeks benefit.

(Edit - I claim no HB)

Well, I think the thing to do is to go for the rapid reclaim, and put up with Reed's stupidity for the time being, but to do so on the very last day possible. I'm still officially employed until the middle of this week, so the later Reed contact me, the better.

Do you (or anyone else) know how I can get Reed off my back, until such time as I get a decision on Carer's ?

You can't sorry, once you are with them you are there for the two years (I take it you are on work programme?). Even finding work or moving to another benefit won't stop them attempting to contact you especially moving to another benefit as the work programme is extended to cover IS and ESA.

Of course whilst working it is your choice if you stay in contact with them however claiming benefits and refusing contact can result in sanctions :(