• Tweets

• I'm still pondering/ trying to find docs re the above issue. Moving on - same saga; different issue I'm trying to understand what I can do: The lender/ mortgagee-in-possession has a claim v me for alleged debt. But the debt has only been incurred due to them failing to sell property in >5y. I'm fighting them on this.   I've been trying to get an order for sale for 2y.  I got it legally added into my counterclaim - but that will only be dealt with at trial.  This is really frustrating. The otherside's lawyers made an application to adjourn trial for a few more months - allegedly wanting to try sort some kind of settlement with me and to use the stay to sell.  At the hearing I asked Judge to expedite the order for sale. I pointed out they need a court-imposed deadline or this adjournment is just another time wasting tactic (with interest still accruing) as they have no buyer.  But the judge said he could legally only deal with the order at trial. The otherside don't want to be forced to sell the property.. Disclosure has presented so many emails which prove they want to keep it. I raised some points with the judge including misconduct of the receiver. The judge suggested I may have a separate claim against the receiver?   On this point - earlier paid-for lawyers said my counterclaim should be directed at the lender for interference with the receiver and the lender should be held responsible for the receiver's actions/ inactions.   I don't clearly understand that, but their legal advice was something to do with the role a receiver has acting as an agent for a borrower which makes it hard for a borrower to make a claim against a receiver ???.  However the judge's comment has got me thinking.  He made it clear the current claim is lender v me - it's not receiver v me.  Yet it is the receiver who is appointed to sell the property. (The receiver is mentioned/ involved in my counterclaim only from the lender collusion/ interference perspective).  So would I be able to make a separate application for an order for sale against the receiver?  Disclosure shows receiver has constantly rejected offers. He gave a contract to one buyer 4y ago. But colluded with the lender's lawyer to withdraw the contract after 2w to instead give it to the ceo of the lender (his own ltd co) (using same lawyer).  Emails show it was their joint strategy for lender/ ceo to keep the property.  The receiver didn't put the ceo under any pressure to exchange quickly.  After 1 month they all colluded again to follow a very destructive path - to gut the property.  My account was apparently switched into a "different fund" to "enable them to do works" (probably something to do with the ceo as he switched his ltd co accountant to in-house).   Interestingly the receiver told lender not to incur significant works costs and to hold interest.  The costs were huge (added to my account) and interest was not held.   The receiver rejected a good offer put forward by me 1.5y ago.  And he rejected a high offer 1y ago - to the dismay of the agent.  Would reasons like this be good enough to make a separate application to the court against the receiver for an order for sale ??  Or due to the main proceedings and/or the weird relationship a borrower has with a receiver I cannot ?
    • so a new powerless B2B debt DCA set up less than a month ago with a 99% success rate... operating on a NWNF basis , but charging £30 to set up your use of them. that's gonna last 5mins.... = SPAMMERS AND SCAMMERS. a DCA is NOT a BAILIFF and have  ZERO legal powers on ANY debt - no matter WHAT its type. dx      
    • Migrants are caught in China's manufacturing battles with the West, as Beijing tries to save its economy.View the full article
    • You could send an SAR to DCbl on the pretext that you are going for a breach of your GDPR . They should then send the purported letter of discontinuance which may show why it ended up in Gloucester and see if you can get your  costs back on the day. It obviously won't be much but  at least perhaps a small recompense for your wasted day. Not exactly wasted since you had a great win  albeit much sweeter if you had beat them in Court. But a win is a win so well done. We will miss you as it has been almost two years since you first started out on this mission. { I would n't be surprised if the wrong Court was down to DCBL}. I see you said "till the next time" but I am guessing you will be avoiding private patrolled car parks for a while.🙂
    • It is extremely disappointing that you haven't told us anything about the result of the hearing. You came here at the very last minute and the regulars - all unpaid volunteers - sweated blood trying to get an acceptable Witness Statement prepared in an extremely short time. The least you could have done is tell us how the hearing went, information invaluable for future users. Evidently not.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4540 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am posting this thread in this forum and the Holiday and Airline companies forum, as I am unsure which category it falls in, if not both.

In September 2011, myself and my partner, xxxxxxx, set off backpacking around the world for a 12 to 18 month long trip. We had taken out insurance with Infinity Insurance, and xxxx acquired a brand new passport before we left, which was an e-passport with an electronic chip in it. During our time in Malaysia, we visited Tioman Island (in late October), and went on a jungle trek. We chose to keep the passports with us at all times, as our insurance would be invalid if it was lost, damaged or stolen whilst not in our possession. During the trek we were caught in a monsoon, and despite the passports being kept in water proof cases, in a plastic bag in my rucksack, they got wet. My old-style passport was much wetter than Josh's, yet was fine, whereas Josh's passport had some damage making the photograph smudged in appearance.

We travelled back to Kuala Lumpur on Friday 22nd October, to ask the British Embassy for advice, but it was closed over the weeked. We finally got to speak to someone on Monday 24th October, and explained what had happened to the passport, and that we were due to fly to Thailand on 7th November, and needed advice about the passport. We were told that there would probably be no problem getting into Thailand, as the passport was still identifiable as xxxx, and that Thai border controls were relaxed. They told us to go to the Thai Embassy and ask for advice there. We did, and were told the passport would not be a problem, and we would get into Thailand as long as we had a letter from the British Embassy regarding the issue. We returned to the British Embassy, and were told we would have no problem entering Thailand, and that once we were there we could apply for a new passport. The assured us it would be a problem-free situation, and that if for any reason we were stopped by immigration, the British Embassy would ensure that we were allowed entry to Thailand, and that we would be able to get an emergency passport or new passport through them. They wrote a letter for us, and waivered the fee for writing the letter. We were told we would have no problems, and that the British Embassy in Thailand would be able to help us enter Thailand if required.

On 7th November, we arrived at Penang airport for our flight to Thailand, with Air Asia. We had no problem checking in with the passport, and again experienced no problem at immigration when leaving Malaysia. Nobody stopped us, or mentioned that the passport might be a problem in Thailand.

Upon arrival in Bangkok, Thailand, we were refused entry at immigration, and taken into the custody of the Thai immigration police. We were kept in an office for around two hours, and nobody would or could (due to the language barrier) tell us the situation and what was going on. Several people came to look at the passport, along with the letter from the embassy. Eventually, two security staff from Air Asia came along, one of whom could speak English. We had been put into their responsibility, as Thai immigration deemed Air Asia at fault for allowing us to board the plane. We immidiately asked if we could speak to our embassy. It was 7pm, and we were told the embassy did not open until 8am. We were then told we had to leave Thailand within 12 hours else we would be arrested and taken to prison. When we asked for an emergency helpline, they refused to give it to us, and said there was no way we could speak to the embassy. They told us that they would never stamp a damaged passport, even though they were confident that the passport was in fact xxxx and not false. They explained xxxxx name had been entered onto a database so that he could never enter Thailand. They told us then that our only option was to buy a ticket to the U.K. right then, and fly home at once. Then we were told that we HAD to fly with Emirates Airlines, and even though we had issued concerns about not being able to afford an expensive flight, we had no choice but to buy whatever flight they told us to. They said if we didn't have a flight by the end of the night or the following morning, xxxxx would be arrested. Next, they told us I had remained in transit for the maximum time allowed, and had to go through immigration alone to enter Thailand, and purchase plane tickets, with Emirates, to get home. We had a few minutes to say goodbye, and I was told I would not be able to see or contact xxxxx again until I had bought the flights. They told xxxx that if I wasn't back in three hours he would be arrested. Throughout this time, the Air Asia security guards were rude, aggressive and intimidating, and treated us like criminals.

I was then taken to collect all of our luggage, and taken next to the Air Asia sales desk. I was told by an Air Asia saleswoman I had to wait for 2 hours for someone from Emirates to look at xxxxx passport and let us know whether they would allow him to board one of their flights homes. After two hours, I was taken to the Emirates checking-in desk, where I was told the only tickets available, which I had to buy if xxxx was permitted on the flight, would cost £1070. Next, someone was sent to examine the passport and the letter from the British Embassay to see if they were fake. At this point, we had already been told that their were no doubts about the passport being genuine and belonging to xxxx. After a further 90 minutes, it was clear that xxxx had been given the ok to board the plane. Then randomly someone from the British Embassy in Thailand arrived, and ignored me, and did not explain what was going on, or what the situation was. Eventually, after approaching him myself and explaining I was xxxx partner, and asking for advice, he took it upon himself to interrogate me. He was basically asking questions to establish whether I actually was xxxx girlfriend or not, such as "What date did this event happen? What mode of transport did you use at this point? What clothing was this person wearing?" He asked for proof of my relationship with xxxx, and I had to show him several photos of him. This was really distressing and he was unfriendly and patronising towards me. Finally he said "Yeah there'll be no problem with him using his passport," as if he had known all along it wasn't an issue. He seemed annoyed that he had had to come to the airport and do some work.

After this, I had to go spend £1070 on the return tickets home, and had one hour before the flight departed. I was rushed through security and immigration, and finally allowed to see xxxx again. xxxx was in a bad state, as he had had no idea where I was for nearly five hours, and nobody had told him what was going on. He was worried I had been forced to leave the airport and was wondering around Bangkok alone. Throughout this time I had no way of contacting him or my family. xxxx had managed to get on the internet and let people know what was going on. Several family members had rung the British Embassy and rung the airport trying to get help, get a message to me, and find out what was going on. Nobody had being able to help though. Approximately 17 hours later, after two flights and a traumatic ordeal, we arrived at Manchester Airport. The immigration officer who saw xxxx passport as he entered made a comment expressing that many of the new e-passports were problematic, and became damaged very easily, in comparison with the old ones.

After speaking to the insurance company, we were told we were not covered for the damaged passport, nor would we have cancellation cover or cover for cutting the trip short. Just two months into our travels we have been forced to spend over a thousand pounds to end our trip, and return to England where we have had to buy new clothing, and possessions as we had none here. We feel as though we have been wronged by several people and organisations giving us misinformation, and feel as though we have been robbed of money and time. We are now helpless, and don't know where to turn, whether we should seek legal advice and make formal complaints about the British Embassy and Air Asia.

You are not going to get any legal help unless you are going to pay for it yourselves and I would suggest that given the respective jurisdictions involved it would cost you TENS if not HUNDREDS of thousands of pounds to get anywhere with this claim.

Simply put, the negligence for all this lies with you allowing your passport to become damaged.

I doubt you will get anywhere with Air Asia as it would appear that the only thing they did allegedly wrong was to allow you to fly to Thailand, but I would suggest that they will succesfully argue that as far as they were concerned your credentials were valid and in any event, yours is the risk in flying to a foreign country with a damaged passport.

In regards to a claim against the embassy, the problem will again lie with them arguing that they thought that the letter etc would be sufficient and that it was simply over zealous immigration officials which they could not anticipate.

Your insurance company will probably have a very good get out clause because you allowed the passport to become damaged and the resulting shenannigans was directly caused by that fault. Best to check your policy as to accidental damage etc.

TBH I would probably claim against the manufacturer of the alleged 'water proof' case as they clearly aint and as such, in breach of the sales of goods act, consumer protection act.

Its a tough one and for the time, I would be just happy that your fella isn't rotting inside the bangkok hilton.

I would also be making a big noise to the embassy about how you were treated etc and to Air Asia, but I wouldn't be very confident of getting any money for it.

Hi Roise

It's an impossible situation. But you never know, I would write Formal Letter of Complaint to The

British Embassy, Thailand Embassy, Air Asia and the insurance company. Mark the letters as such,

don't expect too much, but you never know. Enclose the British Embassy letter.

AirAsia - Tony Fernandes, CEO - [email protected]

British Embassy - http://ukinmalaysia.fco.gov.uk/en/

http://www.thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/59

See where you go from there.