Truancy fine by council, issued to my old address

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4548 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello there

This is my first post since I signed up today. I hope I can get some help as well as give help when I could.

I've just found out that council sent me a £50 fine(if paid within 28 days) for my son's absence (what they called truancy, despite overall %96 attendance rate, the total days were 4 days only) whic took place last year (due to sickness, no report from GP though).

The thing is penalty was sent to my old address, that is 11 months after I left the property, despite both the school and council knowing my current address at the time. My name on the latter is spelled incorrectly, I don't know if it changes anything?

I am wondering what your advise would be please?

I would greatly appreciate any help on this issue. By the way there is no right to appeal. Since I cannot explain my case I am wondering if ignoring the letter do the trick, since it was sent to another address after 11 months?

Kind regards

Alice

Edited by Alice_79
add some more detail

Hi Alice

Welcome to CAG

The guys will be happy to advise as soon as they are available.

I would be tempted to write to them, explaining that the fine was sent to the wrong address, that the attendance record was infact good and there were genuine reasons for the absence. See what they have to say. If they can't be bothered to send it to the correct address, what do they want you to do?

I've just googled this Council's policy for the info, just incase it helps.

http://www.eastsussex.gov.uk/educationandlearning/schools/attendanceandbehaviour/truancy/penaltynotice/default.htm