Council Tax court costs.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4571 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi i recently have been diagnosed with a very serious liver condition.

On the 12th of september i collapsed and was rushed to hospital, for 3 days afterwards everytime i stood up i got very dizzy and felt very weak.

I paid my council tax but must of paid it late as i recieved a bill for £60 which was the rest of the years council tax, the letter said i had 1 week to pay £60 or id recieve £63 court costs.

I couldnt pay the entire £60 in one week so i paid £30 then 2 weeks later i paid off the other £30 then rung the council to explain that id paid it but was told ok but i still had to pay £63 court costs for a summons happening in november.

I really cant understand why im being asked for £63 for a court summons that hasnt even happned.

This is really stressing me out as im very ill and can only afford to heat 1 room in my flat which means i have to live in 1 room over the winter.

because i am ill i am given slightly more money than JSA but after i pay my council tax and my rent top up i end up with the same as JSA. i really dont understand how they expect me to pay the £60 and £63 costs its ridiculous.

You'll getter a better response to this in the Council Tax section.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?188-Local-Authority-Council-Tax-and-Business-Rates-Issues

Bottom left of posts there is a little blue triangle symbol click it to ask a mod if they would please move it.

For that to have happened, you must have been late paying on a previous occassion and had a reminder. You only get 2 reminders, the second saying that you have 7 days to pay or they will

apply for a liability order. Liability orders are the councils way of gettin in extra income. It is NOT the law that they have to get a liability order, councils have a lot of disretion in how they manage their council tax department, they all go for the 'we don't care' approach.

Unfortunately missing a payment means they can ask for the whole outstanding amount up front, but they don't have to.

Give them a ring, explain what has happened and come back with their response.