DLA Pensioners Tax Credits advice please

Guest Another Spartacus
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4577 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Guest Another Spartacus

Hi,

My mum is very proud and doesn't like to claim benefits even though I think that she may be entitled to extra income.

At the moment she receives about £175.00 per week which includes her state pension HRM and LRC and has about 8k in the bank.

We are in the process of applying for higher rate care allowance because her medical conditions have worsened over the years.

My question is, if she saves the extra DLA and it takes her over say 12k (she may wish to buy a car with it), will she be able to claim pension tax credit which she has never claimed befor. Is banked DLA classed as capital when working out tax credits.

Many thanks for listening

x

Hi only advise that I can give is to think about doing what I have done saved DLA until just before have the max you can have then use this as a deposit to buy a car on hire purchase through Motability finance using the DLA as payment. We have done this and have been able to purchase a brand new car approx every 8 years since something like 1992. We are now on our third new car makes a lot of difference knowing that you have a reliable car when disabled.

You have confused me slightly:

Do you mean pension credits (for pensioners on a low income) or tax credits? You either need to be working or having children under a certain age for the latter.

Back dated benefits are ignored for one year.

For every £500 (or part of) over £10,000 £1 is deducted from pension credit. If she does get a higher DLA award, she may get premiums on top for disability.

Guest Another Spartacus

Yes I meant Pension Credits for being on a low income, she's a bit old to be having kiddies at 74 lol.

Hi only advise that I can give is to think about doing what I have done saved DLA until just before have the max you can have then use this as a deposit to buy a car on hire purchase through Motability finance using the DLA as payment. We have done this and have been able to purchase a brand new car approx every 8 years since something like 1992. We are now on our third new car makes a lot of difference knowing that you have a reliable car when disabled.

I thought that Motability had stopped providing finance to buy a car.

They only now deal with leased vehicles.

I thought that Motability had stopped providing finance to buy a car.

They only now deal with leased vehicles.

Hi just checked mobility website still has hire purchase on it though is difficult to find.

dpick

Pension credits for a single pensioner are about £130 a week. DLA is not included as an income for the calculation of pension credits, and you can have up to 10k in the bank. Check out direct.gov there is a pension credit calculator there.

I think the best way to get a car is through the lease system, You get a new car every three years and you can get very nice cars for no down payment; I have a Vauxhall Insignia at the moment last car was a Mazda 6, before that I had a Golf, the only car I put down payment on was a Rover 100 automatic, but that was a long time ago, and that kind of car is now nill down payment. The lease includes all servicing insurance tyres, exhaust and allows up to 20k a year.

Edited by count orlok