ESA Proposed 12 month maximum WRAG - counting from when?

Error_Prone
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4584 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am currently getting contribution based ESA.

I was recently moved from the Support Group to the Work Related Activity Group (although I'm currently seeking a reconsideration of this decision).

Today I received the standard letter warning of the proposed limit of one year maximum for those in the WRAG. Despite reading the letter several times I'm still not clear when this one year period begins in my case.

Is it a year from the date I was moved to the WRAG?

or

Is it a year from when I started getting ESA?

If it is the latter then I assume my ESA will stop in the spring of 2012 unless my reconsideration is accepted?

If anybody can clarify I would be most grateful.

Thanks

Hello there. I found this on the directgov website, hope it contains the right details.

My best, HB

When would this change take effect?

The earliest this change can become law is April 2012.

How the 12 month period would be counted

Should the change in the law go ahead, the 12 months would start from the first day you were paid contribution-based ESA. Any time you have spent in the Support Group would be excluded, as would any gaps in your claim.

If you moved from Incapacity Benefit or Severe Disablement Allowance, the 12 months would start from the date your old benefit was changed to contribution-based ESA and you were placed in the Work Related Activity Group. Again, time spent in the Support Group would be excluded.

If you have already been receiving contribution-based ESA for 12 months and you are in the Work Related Activity Group, you would immediately lose entitlement.

Illegitimi non carborundum

How the 12 month period would be counted

Should the change in the law go ahead, the 12 months would start from the first day you were paid contribution-based ESA. Any time you have spent in the Support Group would be excluded, as would any gaps in your claim.

Thanks, that is very helpful.

What exactly are the sick and disabled expected to live on when their benefit "runs out", I can't honestly see employers giving jobs to them when there are millions of able bodied people out there.

Or perhaps I don't understand the point?

What exactly are the sick and disabled expected to live on when their benefit "runs out", I can't honestly see employers giving jobs to them when there are millions of able bodied people out there.

Contributory based ESA is what is being limited; income related ESA will still be available to those who do not have other income or whose income is below the threshold.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

Their partner is expected to look after them. :( Moral - don't ever get sick and certainly don't go into a relationship where the other one works...

Exactly Count Orlock, I have been in a WRAG for 6 months now. If anyone can find me an employer that is willing to take someone on that has constant pain, drops things through weak grip, needs to sleep in an afternoon due to chronic fatigue, frequent days off due to not being able to get up out of bed and move about for hours after and who would have to turn up to work in their pyjamas as their pain is too severe to complete the simplest task of dressing please let me know I would go out to work in a flash, there is no support out there from this system at all for those who suffer diseases that are not curable, but can be managed to a certain extent.

Hi,

I now get contibution based ESA, DLA and Industrial injuries benefit.

I have a child at home who is working.

I have no other income.

If this new time limit comes into force then what will happen to me mext April, will they put me onto income based ESA?

They can't assume that we are now fit for work.

Does any one know if employers will take on people who are taking strong medication, would we be covered by insurance?

Thanks.

Norby 500, The difference between contribution based and income based esa is, income based is means tested, ie any income you or your partner have coming in, savings etc, contribution based is not. Can I ask what group you have been placed in after your successful tribunal.If you have been placed in the work related group you will have to partake in work related activities at job centre plus, also you will only be enntitled to contribution esa for 12months from when the original decsion was made if the new legislation gets passed in parliment and this will come into force from April of 2012, its not been passed yet, if you meet the criteria after this date you will be able to claim income based, think I got that right?. If you have been placed in the support group nothing will change, except maybe a reassessment to see if you are still entitled to esa. I think I got all that right? am sure someone will correct me if I"m wrong.