Council Tax Issue - liability issue

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4592 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all, have privately rented a property which was setup with a friend who went guarantor for me at the property.

He advised as guarantor he would liable for all bills for the property and therefore he contacted the council to put the council tax bill into his name. The council agreed to this name change as he showed me the letter he sent them saying that as guarantor he wanted to become liable for council tax and they accepted this and changed bill over to his name.

I have now moved into a new property and entered my old address as my previous address. Although paying my friend the council tax monies he has not paid the council tax. Presume previous landlord has sent tenabcy agreement to council ans as such i have a huge bill in my name. I approached him regarding this and he is happy for the bill to be kept in his name as he said he had had "money problems" but the bill is for nearly 3 years council tax. Did get letters for him to the address but didn't open them as not in my name.

What I'm worried about now is after speaking to another friend he advised as I was on lease they could make me liable if he didn't pay it even though, just now, he said he will. Surely council could not make me liable after changing the bill into his name after him specifying the reason he is changing into his name was he us guarantor but then chase mecas tenant??

Should say I'm in Scotland and what can they do to me if I dont pay. Will it affect my credit score?

Tricky one I know but any help appreciated.

Edited by Helpmeboab

were you the only resident?

was the tenancy/lease in your sole name?

if so, it is you who is liable to pay the council tax and therefore you are the person that the council can take legal action against, irrespective of any other arrangement you may have come to

if your friend was also resident or on tenancy/lease, then that could affec t the situation, can you clarify?

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.

He advised as guarantor he would liable for all bills for the property and therefore he contacted the council to put the council tax bill into his name

That is wrong - a person who is solely the guarantor would not be liable.

Surely council could not make me liable after changing the bill into his name after him specifying the reason he is changing into his name was he us guarantor but then chase mecas tenant??

If you were the person who was resident then you are legally liable for the council tax and the council must issue a new bill in your name - any agreement between you and the guarantor is purely a personal one that doesn't affect who is legally responsible.