Accused of Benefit and Council Tax Fraud

RamblingRose39
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4598 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My estranged husband left me in February 2009 following the amicable break down of our marriage. I am a mental health patient and received ESA amongst other benefits like DLA. When we split, my ex maintained our bank account, I handed him my debit card and opened my own bank account, however, my ex did not take my name off of the account. Also as we could not afford a car each, we agreed to share our car (ex works nights, so I have it during the day to take our children to school and shop for groceries etc). As ex lives in a bedsit, our children cannot visit him there, so he comes to my house most days to visit them. He also visits regularly because of my mental health problems and will cook the kids' tea etc.

Some kind soul annonymously reported me, stating that my ex was living with me and our children. I was called for a formal interview with my local council. They had had the house under suveillance and agreed that my ex didn't live there anymore, but they questioned our finances and have accused us of maintaining a joint household.

It seems that we are being punished for being amicable and putting our children's happiness first. Once I was found guilty buy the Council they demanded £600.00 per month for 6 months! They also informed the DWP and now my ESA has stopped. I am currently living on £100.00 per week.

I have been to my local CAB and have appealed both decicions. I am now waiting to hear if my appeals have been successful.

Has anyone else here been in this position? Do you have any comments or advice?

May thanks

Hello there, welcome to CAG. I like your username as a flower lover, and you didn't even ramble :).

You will find that you're among friends here. I don't have personal experience of what you're going through, but people here do. What's being said to you doesn't sound fair or logical, but I shall let more informed caggers answer you.

Try not to worry too much for now, and I know that's easy for me to say. You will have help here.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

My ex's bank account was in joint names and registered at the marital home...I didn't use.

On the above account my ex applied for an overdraft so a credit application was made in joint names.

Our car is registered to my ex, I am a named driver, it was registered to the marital home address as I pay the car insurance rom my bank account.

I totally admit we were stupid and naieve about formalities and finances when we spilt, but everything was so amicable. We have since sorted all this out (following my formal interview under caution) and I have started divorce proceedings.

I suppose because I was innocent, it never occured to me that I would be invesitgated.

My ex has proven where he lives through witness interviews and the fact that he is paying Council Tax and other bills there. I have provided letter from our neighbours stating that we have split.