Council Tax/ Housing Benefit re payments

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4573 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there Ive just joined, hope I'm in the right "thread' place...

My hubby went to court re our councul tax and housibg benefit. He found a bit of work for 3 weeks then nothing for a coulpe of months then more work for a month then nothing and thats the pattern of his work (building trade). This went on for a year, so in all he probibly worked a total of 5-6 months maybe less! The council say we owe a total of 30 000!!! in council tax and housing benefit. Hubby went to court and the court ruled that we pay back a years worth, so £12 000. We started paying then had a letter from Council Tax saying we owe £7 000. They are dis regarding what the courts have said and insist on recieving the £30 000. They are threaterning to take us to court again over £7000 council tax. Please help with any advice. Many thanks. :|

Refer them to the court ruling.

I'd love to see the judges face when he/she sees that it has already been dealt with by said court

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Click Here To Make A Donation

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.

the amount of an overpayment is a civil matter that is dealt with by a tribunal

whether benefit fraud has been committed is a criminal matter that is dealt with by a court

if you have been overpaid 30k, and the court only charges you with fraudulently obtaining 12k for a criminal case, that does not mean that you do not owe the other 18k, it just means that the court has not taken the 18k into account for sentencing purposes

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.