Council Tax (previous address)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4616 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

New to this forum and hoping someone can help,

Hopefully its in the right section.

I Just moved in with my girlfriend this week (thur)

she phoned the council tax and got the form sent out to add me to it, so her council tax benefit stopped,

It asked for previous address, fair enough or so I thought as I stayed with a relative for the last 3 years up until 3 weeks ago when he gave up his keys,

I then moved in with my aunt and cousin, both are adults and pay full council tax,

as this was temporary she didnt see the need to add me as she pays full council tax anyway, until I was able to get somewhere more permanent.

Yesterday, My relative give me the worst news ever when I said I was moving in with my girlfriend and Id said about the previous address thing,

he then told me that for the last year he claimed single person discount and also claimed housing benefit for 2 months while un-employed,

Now I had a standing order set up for my contribution of council tax into his account every month,

and also my bank details where addressed there and I took out a loan so how he has got away with it eludes me.

Now Im caught between a rock and a hard place, he signed the tenancy agreement and is the liable person,

so he would be the one in bother, he tells me the housing benefit was for 2 month only as he was on JSA and he got council tax throughout the tenancy,

I worked this out to be approx £440.

i contributed to food and rent and paid by standing order for council tax and this all only came to light.

Anyone any advice on what I should do?

I have never claimed a benefit in my Life

all my tax and national insurance is up to date

I have a credit rating of 473 and a great job, which may be affected by all this, as this relative flies by the seat of his pants.

cheers in advance.

not really sure that it affects you, your relative was the one responsible for declaring changes in the household, and it is your relative who is responsible for any debts/consequences that may arise

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.

yep not your problem

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...