No to 0870 numbers

Nick
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6538 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Great site, it has been mentioned elsewhere on this site but the more people that get to know about it the better.

0870 numbers are a major bugbear with me as I am away from home a lot and mostly use my mobile to make calls.

One benefit is that you are often given an alternative freephone number - still not free from mobiles usually but you then at least have the option to use a landline.

Try this little trick: If the site shows a freephone number for a company but for a different department, they will often put you through if you tell them that you have tried the 0870 number and keep getting cut off.

I only mouth my opinion, please look elsewhere for sensible advice! :)

The overseas number is usually the normal landline number in "overseas" format, e.g. +44 is added. Just replace +44 with 0.

e.g. If the overseas (or International) number reads +44 161 2337456, dial 0161 233 7456.

The overseas number is usually the normal landline number in "overseas" format, e.g. +44 is added. Just replace +44 with 0.

e.g. If the overseas (or International) number reads +44 161 2337456, dial 0161 233 7456.

I thought thats what I just said??!! LOL! :D

Ex CAG helper ^_^

Yes, but your post suggested that the international number was a version of the 0870 number, not the landline number. My experience is that the landline number/international version of such is quite different from the 0870 number!

• 2 weeks later...
I got my talk talk phone bill through yesterday and I noticed a 0870 number I had dialled was free as they are talk talk too!!

But therein lies the problem, you don't know which network they are using unless you ask (and if it's a company chanches are the girl on the other end of the line doesn't know anyway).

It's the same with mobile numbers too. It's all very well networks stating "5p a minute to our network, 30p a minute to all others" but you have no idea in most cases which netwrok you are dialling. Of course the networks know this and that's how they make their money.

Easily solved by Ofcom if they wanted to, one set rate for all numbers of the same type. Then these companies would have to rely solely on good customer service to keep their customers. Now there's a novelty for you!

• 2 weeks later...

I understand that there is some movement by OFCOM to introduce a true "National rate" numbering scheme starting with the figures 03. so 0870 numbers will be seen more clearly as the rip off that they really are

You may think that but . . ......

Total repaid to date £1947.58

Lloyds Currrent a/c £745.27

Moneyclaim filed 17th June

Defence and AQ 25th July. Case struck out 11 Aug

reinstated and hearing 15th Jan 2007

Lloyds loan a/c D A request expired 19th June

Proceedings under S7 Data Protection Act issued 29th June defence and counterclaim 27 July

Hearing Jan 3 2007

Listed final hearing April 2007-

Judge declared an interest and disqualified himself

new date to be set

I wish they would just get these numbers sorted out once and for all.

The biggest rip off has to be those 070 "personal" numbers, almost everybody seems to have been caught out by those at some point where they phone your mobile but immediately hang up hoping you will phone them back. If you do it could cost you £1.50 or more.

I wouldn't hold much trust in Ofcom, it was they who authorised the use of these numbers in the first place, why they used 070 which looks like a mobile number for a premium rate service is anybody's guess.

It's the same with mobile numbers too. It's all very well networks stating "5p a minute to our network, 30p a minute to all others" but you have no idea in most cases which netwrok you are dialling.

Lists are available, though in general, the low end of 077 is O2, the low end of 078 is mostly Orange, and the top end of 079 is typically Vodafone. Typically, all numbers sharing the first four digits are on the same operator, 0781 is Orange, 0777 is Vodafone, etc.

Though, yes, it is difficult, but not impossible.

HSBCLloyds TSBcontractual interestNew Tax Creditscoming for you?NTL/Virgin Media

Never give in ... Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy. Churchill, 1941

Lists are available, though in general, the low end of 077 is O2, the low end of 078 is mostly Orange, and the top end of 079 is typically Vodafone. Typically, all numbers sharing the first four digits are on the same operator, 0781 is Orange, 0777 is Vodafone, etc.

Though, yes, it is difficult, but not impossible.

Sorry but that's nonsense. I have O2 sims that begin with 079, in fact 07999 which is as top end as you can get is an original O2 prefix. The same applies for other networks. Add to that the millions of people who have ported their number - mine starts with 07771 which was originally a Vodafone number but has since been ported to Orange then on to O2 - and you don't have a clue whether or not your call is costing you 5p a minute or 40p.

Put it this way, list the top ten mobile numbers you dial and tell me if you know which network each of them are on. Not a prayer.

Sorry but that's nonsense. I have O2 sims that begin with 079, in fact 07999 which is as top end as you can get is an original O2 prefix.

As I said, "in general". HAND.

HSBCLloyds TSBcontractual interestNew Tax Creditscoming for you?NTL/Virgin Media

Never give in ... Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy. Churchill, 1941

I know, but what I'm getting at is you just can't use that as a guide. It's misleading, people may phone a number based on that information thinking they are making a call at 5p a minute or whatever and find out later that they have ended up paying more more.

Nothing personal, but that's my view.

Guest Lueeze

There is no guide anymore as people port their numbers all the time, so the same number could be on a different network. I worked for vodaphone, and there is not really any way of telling now, apart from asking someone what network they are on.

There is no guide anymore as people port their numbers all the time, so the same number could be on a different network. I worked for vodaphone, and there is not really any way of telling now, apart from asking someone what network they are on.

My point exactly. It must be over 10 years since my 0777 number was a Vodafone number, how many more people have switched networks in the past ten years? There are so many different prefixes anyway now that there's no way of remembering them, and you can hardly go checking through a guide everytime you want to ring a mobile number.

Guest Lueeze

They should issue you with some sort of directory if you ask for one, as this is so misleading! The problem is theres no easy way to keep track of it, so many thousands of numbers get posted each month it would always be out of date!

They should issue you with some sort of directory if you ask for one, as this is so misleading! The problem is theres no easy way to keep track of it, so many thousands of numbers get posted each month it would always be out of date!

Orange have an (optional) Orange directory, but it still would not tell you who had ported their number so you are still in the "lap of the Gods".

There are so many sub-networks now too, Easymobile (who use the T-Mobile network), Fresh, Tesco (O2), MobileWorld (from Carphone Warehouse), GoSim, and so on. What chance have you got?

My point exactly. It must be over 10 years since my 0777 number was a Vodafone number, how many more people have switched networks in the past ten years?

Oh, the irony of complaining about not being able to track people's numbers because they switch, on the CAG forum ;)

*goes back to bank statements*

Oh, the irony of complaining about not being able to track people's numbers because they switch, on the CAG forum ;)

*goes back to bank statements*

Well you were the one that brought up mobile numbers following on from my post about the 070 [problem]! I didn't see anyone complaining abut it, just making our points.

I have been a supporter of the saynoto0870 site for some time. As others have mentioned I can't believe that companies are getting away with premium rate customer service numbers.

The overseas numbers is a nice way to circumvent the system.

However today I was extremely concerned to find that Alliance & Leicester actually log calls to the overseas number. I had once called it without the 141 in front, must be over a year ago, so they knew I wasn't overseas. I was having a moan at their complaints section today, the member of staff stated "well I see you have been told about not ringing the overseas number once before" ............ How on earth can they justify keeping this information ??????

There is no such thing as impossible; only the degree of difficulty required to achieve the desired outcome.

Read through the

FAQ Section.... Use these links :grin:

Like what I say show - add to my reputation (click the scales!)

My advice & opinions are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

Halicrap - Full settlement 12/06 £408.34

Crapitol 1 - Settled in Full 27/04/07 £15808-)

All & Pester - Claim served £5695 4/09, Stayed

Woolsnitch mortgage accounts - Claim served £2995 4/09, application to strike out 06/09

Lloybles - No CCA, CPR disclosure notices served.

Be careful, 0870s are national rate, not premium rate but my argument is mostly that they cost you full whack to ring from a mobile, not the usual 5p/10p a minute or free using your inclusive minutes if on contract.

I would fire this at Alliance and Leicester, ask them how they can justify it and quite frankly I would take no notice of what their "warnings". Failing that get yourself a 10p-a-minute 0871 number; if they ask you to give them a "proper" landline number tell them you will when they do.

I've done this time and time again with companies, they often say "Oh, sorry, we only accept standard landline numbers". Just reply with, "Oh sorry, so do I".

They may be national rate, but the companies are making a premium out of them. I use the discounted 18866 service for my phone calls, cost s 2p not matter how long the call is. 0870 it costs more, same as for mobiles. Why - because the companies are again making money out us when we phone to obtain customer service assistance. :(

That is why they try to prevent you from using any other number - they lose revenue.

There is no such thing as impossible; only the degree of difficulty required to achieve the desired outcome.

Read through the

FAQ Section.... Use these links :grin:

Like what I say show - add to my reputation (click the scales!)

My advice & opinions are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

Halicrap - Full settlement 12/06 £408.34

Crapitol 1 - Settled in Full 27/04/07 £15808-)

All & Pester - Claim served £5695 4/09, Stayed

Woolsnitch mortgage accounts - Claim served £2995 4/09, application to strike out 06/09

Lloybles - No CCA, CPR disclosure notices served.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6538 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks