• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Beserker v A&L ***WON***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6376 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hiyas,

Just a big thx to you all for the information on this site. I visited the Govan Law Centre site before I registered here here and have sent off the Data Protection Act letter. I have had financial problems in the past and have paid large sums of money to A&L with regard to these, as a consequence I do not have the best credit rating, however, there are no ccj's only a couple of default notices from 5 years ago.

Now I am concerned that A&L are going to close my current account at some point. I am not (lol) very attached to A&L and am quite prepared to open a parachute account (wish I had read about this before sending the DPA letter). Will having the adverse credit rating affect my getting a new bank account? I would also like to have a go at A&L through the courts if they try and close my current account as this is hardly equitable , which I understood was a principle of English law.

I will keep you posted of events.

We haven't got the money, so we've got to think!

Ernest Rutherford

A & L

Data Protection Act Letter sent 11/08/06

Data rec'd 14/09/06, Prelim letter sent 16/09/06

LBA sent 22/09/06, MCOL 6QZ68670 issued 2/10/06 - chq for £6,375.34 rec'd 04/11/06.

Thx have just applied to Co-Op (it's the old hippy in me) online.

I will continue reading and learning.

Ernest Rutherford

A & L

LBA sent 22/09/06, MCOL 6QZ68670 issued 2/10/06 - chq for £6,375.34 rec'd 04/11/06.

Just a thought should I start to add the "Alliance and Leicester Data Protection Act letter sent DD/MM/YYYY" signature to the bottom of any posts? Can anyone tell me how to do it?

Ernest Rutherford

A & L

Cheers Michael, checking

Ernest Rutherford

A & L

• 4 weeks later...

What a parcel!! Wish I could charge 'em an hourly rate for going through this lot! OK guys, guess I have to do the spreadsheet stuff, some questions :-

a) oldest charges first or t'other way round?

b) Interest after lba i.e. when you do moneyclaim?

c) If the total charges are greater than £5k break them into two claims?

They also seem quite keen on me as they have actually sent me my statements going back to 6 March 2000, can I claim the penalty charges back beyond 6 years? or is it 6 years from date of SAR?

Thanks

Ernest Rutherford

A & L

Oh I have just read the last para. of the covering letter...

"If you want to query any aspect of the details provided, please write to me at the address given above"

Oh I will, I will....

Ernest Rutherford

A & L

What a parcel!! Wish I could charge 'em an hourly rate for going through this lot! OK guys, guess I have to do the spreadsheet stuff, some questions :-

a) oldest charges first or t'other way round?

b) Interest after lba i.e. when you do moneyclaim?

c) If the total charges are greater than £5k break them into two claims?

Thanks

a) Not sure, maybe it makes no difference.

b) Yes.

c) Yes.

Luck, dude. :cool:

Just worked out the charges + interest on their penalties = £4989.93. Handy, just under the £5k :). Prelim letter sent today.

Ernest Rutherford

A & L

Threads merged.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick response to LBA!! Fob off letter "Our reference aaannnn/UNFAIR4" .At least they did'nt charge me £25 for the pleasure. Arrogance comes before a fall though:).

MCOL or visit to Reading CC?

Can someone give me a link to the words to use?

Ernest Rutherford

A & L

Its in the bank templates library.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Doh, thanks Caro

Ernest Rutherford

A & L

I feel young and unsure again :smile:.

Advice on the words for MCOL please :-

"Claimant has account XXXXXXXXX with Defendant conducted on their standard terms and conditions. Claimant is claiming the return of £4926.01 taken by Defendant in charges over 6 years. The Defendant's charges are a disproportionate penalty and therefore unenforceable as they are contrary to common law. They are also invalid under the Unfair Contracts Terms Act 1977 s.4 and under the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999.Para.8 and sch.2.1.e.

In the event that the charges are not a penalty they are unreasonable within the meaning of the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982 s.15. Defendant has declined justification of charges despite repeated requests. Claimant claims interest under Sec.69 of the County Courts Act 1984 at a rate of 8% a year from 9 November 2000 to 28 September 2006 of £34.48 and also interest at same rate up to the date of judgment or earlier payment at a daily rate of £1.09 (Amount claimed x 0.00022)."

Interest taken from the most excellent Spreadsheet:)

Ernest Rutherford

A & L

Interest doesn't look right, but the wording is from the template isn't it?

The interest is £4926.01 x 0.00022 = 1.0837 = 1.09? or can I not do that...

Yup the words are from the template, although as I can't remember when we opened the account (long, long time ago) I simplified that sentence by removing the "opened on".

The interest on the total owed is directly from the complex spread sheet...

Ernest Rutherford

A & L

You should be charging interest on each charge from the day it left your account. At the rate of £1.07 a day that is only about a months interest. Check your spreadsheet.

I will check the figures however, but surely are we not talking two different figures here:- 8 % is on the monies illegally taken by A&L from the day they were taken, I would not have been owed £4926 in 2000. The £1 odd is the daily rate of interest from the day of MCOL to the date of judgement....

Ernest Rutherford

A & L

If you were charged £20 on 1st September 2000 you would start charging interest from that date on that charge. To give you an idea I had charges from Yorkshire Bank between 2000 and 2003 of just under £3000, but the interest so far is over £1200. The spreadsheet should be showing the interest for each charge from the date it was imposed.

two points, I will check things obv, but:-

1) £4926 was not the penalty charges imposed at the start of the period in question. This figure is cumulative from september 2000. I wonder sometimes......

2) I thought the 1.09 odd figure is the interesrt charged on the sum claimed from date of MCOL to date of judgement (s'pose equivalent to 8%?)?

Ernest Rutherford

A & L

Big appologies :- just been looking at the interest on their interest!!

Am I going to get away with claiming £1291!!! interest, oh boy that would be very sweet.

MCOL revised to:-

"Claimant has account XXXXXXXXX with Defendant conducted on their standard terms and conditions. Claimant is claiming the return of £4926.01 taken by Defendant in charges over 6 years. The Defendant's charges are a disproportionate penalty and therefore unenforceable as they are contrary to common law. They are also invalid under the Unfair Contracts Terms Act 1977 s.4 and under the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999.Para.8 and sch.2.1.e.

In the event that the charges are not a penalty they are unreasonable within the meaning of the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982 s.15. Defendant has declined justification of charges despite repeated requests. Claimant claims interest under Sec.69 of the County Courts Act 1984 at a rate of 8% a year from 9 November 2000 to 28 September 2006 of £1291.53 and also interest at same rate up to the date of judgment or earlier payment at a daily rate of £1.36 (Amount claimed x 0.00022)".

Thanks for you help guys, would have looked a bit silly. Comments, please.

Ernest Rutherford

A & L

That sounds much more like it! Glad you got it sorted. Just remember the donation button when you get all that lovely lolly back.;)