council tax overdue 8 years

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4644 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I moved to abroad in 2003 leaving behind a council tax debt of £300.Needless to say the council cought up with me 6 mths later.They sent me one standard letter and nothing since. Last week I got a letter from the baliffs who bought this debt and are demanding payment saying it was a liability order.Should I PAY UP or not.:|

sadly ctax cannot be sb'ed

they would not have brought the debt?

who is chasing you

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry for taking so long to reply.Getting old .What is sb'ed?.Why would the balifs have issued a liability order if they did not buy the debt.do i acknowledge their letter!

sb'ed - is statute barred, Council Tax debts are never Statute Barred if the Council obtained the Liability order within 6 years of it being due.

The Council obtains the Liability order not the Bailiffs. The Council pass it to the Bailiff to enforce the debt. If it is only £300 as you say it easier to just pay. The Bailiff may argue that there are fees to pay but as they have not visited there is nothing.

PT

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...

I have had a similar (but different council tax problem - basically TWO separate councils just inventing figures & demanding payment of completely imaginary council tax. I haven't yet sorted it out & one council is threatening to make me bankrupt- although they would be laughed out of court as long as I presented my case properly.

I have had long experience now of councils acting with a COMPLETE disregard of law & general reality and am currently dealing with a MAJOR issue concerning something like this - even more major than my councils tax thing where in my case the claims from both councils are about £15 000 & complete works of fiction as I was not liable for ANY council tax because I was a single parent in receipt of state benefits !

complete works of fiction as I was not liable for ANY council tax because I was a single parent in receipt of state benefits !

Your confusing yourself over Council Tax liability- liability has nothing to do with whether you have any monies to pay or not. Liability is based on who would be the person who would have to pay any Council Tax due (or which would be due except for discounts/exemptions etc)

The fact your in receipt of state benefits does not remove any council tax liability or council tax charge. You would have to claim council tax benefit and have it paid, being entitled and not claiming it does not mean that the council tax is not due.