Liability - Property access

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4690 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am a tenant in the private sector. My landlord has very last minute informed me that he has booked decorators/builders for my flat and is going to give him his spare key. Last time we had work done, the decorator kept the front door open, moving between different flats, and failed to lock the property door when he left - leaving it open to theft.

My question is: what if I have a break in whilst I am away from the flat - what is the effect on my home insurance?

Thanks in advance

You do NOT have to let anyone into your residence at any time, that is your right to quiet enjoyment, you can even change the locks.

The LL can only legally enter the property to carry out essential repairs.

Having said that it is usual to let LL or agent inspect from time to time at a prearranged time to suit you.

And again, if YOU want the decorating done by agreement/arrangement to suit you. Is it necessary this decorating be done?

The LL can not force this on you but you have to consider that LL may give you notice to quite!

Best to talk it through with him as I am sure he wont want lose a good tenant either.

With reference to what is covered in the event of a theft, it does vary with Insurance poliy to Insurance Policy. One this that is universal in not being covered is money...

Who is your Insurer?

Abbey - owed £3260 - Paid up.

Barclays owed £2500 - Paid up.

Halifax, Mint & Egg - next on the hit list

Dont click on the scales - I'm quite proud of my little red dot! - As the little red dot has gone - click away!!!!