7 year old debts - what should I do?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4676 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I have a large number of unpaid debts (totalling around £40,000). I have not made any payments or acknowledged any contact from the lenders (or agencies that have attempted to chase me for payments) for more than 7 years.

Clearly getting myself into such a mess was a really stupid thing to do and isn't if isn't a mistake I'll make again. My circumstances have changed a lot since then.

I have moved home a couple of times since and, though I have received letters to my old address and telephone calls, I have never heard anything at my subsequent addresses. Though I moved 7 years ago from the address at which I obtained the credit, I didn't put myself on the electoral role at my next address for 4 years. The address at which I lived 7 years ago belongs to a relative and so I'm still able to get post from there.

I haven't applied for any credit for 7 years. I've had a basic bank account for 6 years and have never been overdrawn.

To my knowledge, I have never been sent a CCJ for any of the debts.

I'd really like to make a fresh start now and I've started thinking about getting myself sorted out and have the following questions...

- If I apply for a credit report and give my new and previous addresses, will I start getting chased for my old debts? I've seen a few references to "Gone Away Information Network (GAIN)". Will asking for my credit report mean that it gets updated? If that happens, will I start receiving chasing letters?

- Should I even quote my address of 7 years ago when I get my credit report?

- If I apply for credit, should I use my old address or 7 years ago? I worried that I'll just be refused and then I'll start getting chased.

- What is the best way forward for me to try and clean my credit record up so that I can look at rebuilding without being chased for these old debts?

I've had advice from an 'advice website' telling me to get a full credit report even though this may mean the debt collectors would establish my new address.

I'd really appreciate some help. I don't really need any credit, I just want to be able to build some semblance of a decent credit report so that I can get a mortage in the furtue.

Thanks

getting your CRA at the right address will tell you what you need to know.

if they are 7yrs old

they are all SB'ed now and should not affect today unless you do have a CCJ taken out within the last 6yrs.

but your CRA file will tell you that.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

getting your CRA at the right address will tell you what you need to know.

if they are 7yrs old

they are all SB'ed now and should not affect today unless you do have a CCJ taken out within the last 6yrs.

but your CRA file will tell you that.

dx

So include my old address? Do you think, that will probably mean that the debt collectors will catch up with me?

If you are sure there has been no acknowledgement for 7 years then they are definitely SB. If CCJ's have been awarded then if under 6 years they may chase you at your new address if they get it. I may be wrong but I thought if you searched your own credit file there was no record of it.