Private abandoned property next door. My rights with council??

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4708 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi. I live in Sefton Council area in Merseyside. I live in a terrace house which is the 2nd to end property. I own this property. The house next door is owned by a private landlord. (end of terrace). However the tennants moved abandoned the house approximately 18 months ago now and has slowly going into disrepair and being vandalised.

I have contacted the council when a window has been smashed and they have tinned up that window. Next the front door got smashed and they tinned up the door. Now the locals have kicked in the rear gate and have tried to break into the property. Which upto wrting this they have been unsucesful.

I am about to go to the council for the 3rd time to get the rear door tinned up and hopefully all the downstairs windows so they cannot get into it. The property still has the water/gas/electricity turned on as far as im aware and people are trying to break into it to steal the boilers and copper piping. My worst fears are they smash it up, take out the copper pipping and 1) the gas explodes. 2) the water floods 3) the set a fire/squatters/drugs etc. Im already getting young lads trying to get in which potentially they might start trying to get in my property.

What are my rights with the local council. I believe i should be able to get them to turn off water/ gas mains? and get the house tinned up so there is no more damage. If i speak to them and they refuse and the worst happens and my house suffers, damp, fire/water damage etc would i be in my rights to claim from the council the bill and take them to court?

Help please. What are my rights???

As the council don't own the property, it really isn't their responsibility to look after it.

I would suggest you search the land registry to find details of the owner and contact him directly. Also, if this property was previously let by an Estate Agent, try contacting them, they may have contact details for the owner.

You could try alerting the gas and electricity board about the current situation, and see if they can arrange the utilities to be shut off.

You could try speaking to the council to see if they have an abandoned homes team, who may be able to do all of this for you, but with regards to any damages arising from the neglect o the property, the landlord would be responsible, and hopefully he should have some landlord's insurance in place