Household items needed

Jodie1992
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4722 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Me and my partner have a joint job seekers claim. His mum currently lives with us but she is soon to move out into a flat. As a result of this she is takin the washing machine, fridge, freezer sofas etc. Is there any help that we can ge with replacing these things from the social. Would be great help. Thanks

Perhaps - if your JSA claim is income based and you have been receiving it for more than 26 weeks (approx 6 months) you can apply for a budgeting loan. Though you can apply for up to £1500, the maximum amount that can be awarded for a couple is £464 (definately £four sixty something - might be £468). If you have children who live with you, it'll be £812. The amount can be decreased if you or your partner currently owe the Social fund any debt. Other debts do not affect the sum offered but they will consider setting the repayment rate lower if you have other commitments.

The other option for a couple in receipt of income based JSA is a Community Care Grant but as the name suggests, there has to be a need for community care. If there is not a need for community care, you would not be accepted. In addition, washing machine/fridge freezer/sofas are rarely accepted as essential items unless there are health conditions which make them essential.

Unfortunately you would no longer be able to get a Crisis Loan for these items as there is no disaster involved (the rules changed in April).

Those are the options from the DWP. If you don't get enough assistance to purchase these items, there are sites such as freecycle and freegle - have you heard of them?

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)