• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

2nd Charge**WON**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5822 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My husband and I have a 2nd charge on our home, we got into difficulty and owe them £600, £100 is charges which we will be claiming back. Anyway at the end of February I contacted them and we made an agreement in which we would pay them £300 per month thats £189 for what we borrowed and the rest coming of arrears. I made the first installment there and then with my DD card and said the next payment would be due 31st March when I next get paid. This was confirmed. They have since wrote a letter stating they are going to take us to court for possession of our home. We have NOT broken the agreement, the next installment is not due yet. I argued with them over the phone and stated this, and also stated what they are doing is illegal as we have an agreement in palce and they confirmed this on their computer system I also confirmed we have a letter also outlining the agreement and this has not been broken so they cannot take our home. They argue they can and have instructed their solicitors to proceed with court action to take our home.

Can they do this, even though the agreement in place is what they offered and we accepted and we have not broken this..

Ladidi

Capstone...We have a 2nd charge with them, we received a letter off them this morning stating they were applying to court for our house!

I dont know where they get off on this, bt I am seriously thinking of stating, well take me to court and I will have the debt squashed due to unncessary harrassment as payment plan was in place which was offered by yourselves and was more than you wanted and you have the nerve to scream that you want our house!!!

I dont think the judge would take too kindly to having his time wasted when there is payment plan in place and it has not been breached and having his time wasted for nothing, do you??????

Ladidi

I dont get how they can justify threatening behaviour and saying we are going to go for your house even though you have a payment plan in place and this has not been breached in any way, but for the hell of causing you more grief than you deserve and just to p*ss you off even more, well we have instructed solicitors to obtain your house from under you and your family so there!

Surely to god there must be something or someone we can write to that would heavily penalise people llike these from being allowed to get away with this kind of abuse.

I mean you go into a Doctors or hospital and start threatening their staff cos they wont dance to your tune your ass would be i jail and before the courts with a heavy fine to boot. But these companies can cuase as much pressure as they like and get away with it!! Wheres the justice in that??????????

Ladidi

Welcome to the world of "debt" collectors, Ladidi... the whole business has been a stinking mess for ages. Unfortunately, the very people that are supposedly there for us to complain to are often part of the same "old boys' network" and will look after their own.

Things are slowly changing, but it's still an ongoing battle... :)

• 1 month later...

Good Evening all.

I have an update on the above re second charge with Capstone Mortgages.

On Friday whilst at work post arrived for myself and husband. They have filed to court for our house and yet "NO" broken agreement and payments have been made as agreed. We called them in February when the arrears were £600. I offered to have them cleared by end of March. They informed this was not necessary and offered me a payment plan of paying amounts due £193 plus £100 more to pay off arrears meaning they will be cleared by july/august. So total agreed was £300 per month.

I have read the court papers and the solcitors acting for them have filed incorrect information.

My first mortgage is up to date and the second charge have confirmed with me that as at the end of march 2008 we only owed them £290.56 plus this months payment of £193.00 so total is £482.33 meaning nothing more is due until 1st May 2008.

We spoke to a solicitor who informed us that as the arrears are so low and that the papers filed have inaccurate information on them they have acted incorrectly.

She advised us to pay the total ammount due and speak to the solictors and ask them to remove the court fees and their charges from our balances owed. I have spoken them and they wanted me to put it writing. I lost my temper and said tell you what this your fault the inaccurices have been filed we will see you in court as they are not prepared to remove the court fees and their fees from our account she also said to me, please bare in mind if you force us into court there will be more charges applied to yourselves!!! Cheek of it!! I said dont threaten me, it is your fault we are in this mess, you have file incorrectly and you want me to write to you to put it right??? I`ll tell you what see you in court! We will see what the Judge has to say about this mess!.

We have paid amount due and paid to date I have reference number confirming payment made. I am going to wait for it to show on my bank account statement then ask the second charge to send me a letter showing account now cleared. I have also instructed Capstone to send a letter which shows agreement we entered into and also a letter showing amount if interest at 30/03/2008 which shows arrears are not more then £290.56 and yet the solicitors have signed a statement of truth stating our arrears are £590 which is a lie at the same date.

Considering they have screwed up big time, can I insist or ask the court that they pay me for loss of earnings due to taking time off work 3 times now to sort this out and compensation for undue distress??

The solicitor we spoke to in person mentioned that when we go to court they we can insist on them having to pay their own fees which means no charges to us.

The date for the court hearing is on Wednesday 14th May 2008. I have asked the second charge to confirm how much was owed when the solicitors acting for them issued ther court papers and they inform me £290.56 at the end of march. Their court papers show £590.56 up to the date of issue of the summons which was 2nd April 08. Although the solicitors statement of truth was signed 14th March 2008.

I have paid total due including arrears and my account now shows nil owed as of 21/04/08. I have to call back in a couple of days for confirmation of this to come to me in writing. I asked the solicitors to remove their fees and court charges as when they filed claim they filed inaccuracies. They asked for this in writing, I informed them I was not about to correct their errors andwould see them in court. When I call back I will be asking them to issue me a statement of account from the beginning to the end ad any charges in there I will be duly asking for a refund.

The court papers also show that balance which I would be required to pay in full as at 31/03/2008 is £14,949.84 taking into account any adjustments for early settlement. This includes £520.13 for solicitors costs and administration charges.

Yet the second charge have confirmed the balance we owe is totalling £13759.47 at 21/04/2008. and they sending me a letter in writing confirming this.

I am going to ask them to issue me with another letter showing the total amount due as of 30/03/2008 to see if confirms the amounts the solicitors have put in the court papers.

Sorry this is so long and I may have repeated myself, but as you will see I am so stressed out and angry that they have audacity to blame us for this mess and make an agreement with us and still have the nerve to file to court adding more stress and money worries to the hard pressed already. As if things weren't bad enough!!!

Does anyone know if I can report these companies to anyone? e.g FSA and solicitors for their failure, such as their body??? I mean there has to be someone who is forced to act as this cannot and should not be allowed to continue. I think it is about time they are penalised the same as they penalise us, when they take us to court and force more money worries and stress onto a hard pressed person when they have already done everything in their powers and humanly possible to act in a fair and just way.

We have to file the papers for court as well..Does anyone know how we fill these in? What do we say?

Thanks for your time in this matter.

Ladidi

Ladidi

Hi there, firstly, don't fill the court papers in yet (and not online either, they have a habit of not getting to the court). You have until the week before the hearing to take the papers to

Write to them (don't phone) asking for all the correct information you need, I would wait until you have their response before completing court docs. When sending your letter make usre it is by recorded delivery and make sure you have the correct department and address of where to send it (some mortgage companies have different addresses for their legal dept). Check on the Royal Mail website a few days later to see if it has been signed for then print off the receipt and keep with a copy of the letter. You will need this if it still goes to court.

In the meantime also collect together proof of payments you have made and if you have a letter from them confirming the original payment plan.

When you have all the information together, we can help you complete the court papers, especially Part 27 which will be the most important.

Get the letter off asap, and we'll take it from there. If you need any help with writing it, just let me know and I can draft something for you.

Incidentally, there is no way on this earth that a judge would give possession to Capstone in this instance. The fact that your first mortgage is up to date is an important factor also.

Kind Regards

Ell-enn

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

Hi Ell-enn

I founf the lettes they sent to me originally. The first one where I offered to pay full balance by end of march and the second one form the sme guy where I agreed £300 per month until arrears are cleared.

This plan was set up in February (end of ) and we are only in April and they have done nothing but pressure into making payments.

We are now paid in full..But I am gunning for their asses :p

Ladidi

I have received letter from the 2nd charge and they confirm that the arrears were less than those that were filed. I found out that when I made payment the company looks at your payments as arrears if they have not received them by 1st of each month. So if your pay is on the 20th of that month and they have not had their payment by the 1st you are looked as at having a misses payment and it is arrears. Also the total balance they claiming that I owe is not correct as they have written to me and shown on the letters that the total balance is no where near what they are claiming.

I am so angry with this company I cannot wait to have them in court and then sue their asses for my lost earnings, stress etc

Ladidi

Hi Ell-enn

I have received a letter fromthe mortgage company today. Guess what. They ahve sent me a letter giving and confirming a complete breakdown of when payments were due for moeny owed over the next 6 months and we have been given no where near and the balance was repaid within noth even 3 months. I think the Judge will have a feild day with them when we go to court :D

I am going to mske them pay for what they have put us through.

I a need of your help tho..

What do i do next?

Ladidi

Ladidi

Hi Ell-enn

I need your help, we have received a further letter from the 2nd charge company solicitors. The y ave informed they are still taking us to court and proceeding to obtain our house.

I need to know what information I need to obtain and do for the next step.

Ladidi

Ladidi

Hi there, I can't believe they're doing this :mad:

Obviously, you now need to file your defence papers at the court. If you let me know when you are ready to complete them I will walk you through it. Q27 is the most important part and I can help you with that. I would advise you not to file online - it's much better to either take them to the court or send by guaranteed delivery. Once you have done that we can then do a statement for you to take to the hearing which will be an update of the situation.

If you have no arrears the judge is most certainly not going to be pleased with them.

Kind Regards

Ell-enn

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

Hi there, sorry I didn't get to you this morning - got held up shopping!! (and queuing for petrol!)

I'll be on line for the rest of the day so I'll keep looking at your thread to see if you're on line.

Ell-enn

Do you have msn? I was thinking it might be quicker and easier if we could do the forms chatting that way?

If you have I will forward you my email address to inbox.

Ladidi

Ladidi

Sorry I haven't set up msn (yet)

Where are you with the form have you filled in any of it yet?

Ell

Apparently (according to my son) I have msn - so can you pm your email address please.

Ell

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ell-enn,

I have put the court papers into court and am waiting at the moment.

For an update on what capstone have said..

1st May Letter - Warning me they are instructing solicitors to obtain our property due to arrears. No arrears owed as all paid off as you know except Mays payment due. Also warning me this is extremely serious action!!!

1st May Letter - Telling me the date is scheduled for 14th may - I should make proposals to clear arrears owed. They can also confirm that they will instrcut their agent not to oppose a sunspended court order based on these proposals. It is also very important that I continue to make payments due. It is also very strongly recommended i attend the court hearing. WE WILL BE THERE -DAY OFF WORK ALREADY BOOKED :D

1st May Letter- We refer to account **** and once again is in arrears. Advising how payments can be made..No ARREARS DUE JUST MAYS PAYMENT

2nd May Letter from their solicitors - We confirm that application is being made to the court for the possesion action to be adjourned generally with liberty to restore.

There is no need for you to attend at the court on the date which has been set for the hearing of the possesions summons, However the court will require your consent to the application for the adjournment. Please therefore endorse your consent to the adjournment on this letter and return the same as soon as possible for production to the court on the adjournment application. :o

THEY HAVE GOT NO CHANCE OF US AGREEING TO THEIR SCREW UPS!!! HELL WILL FREEZE OVER FIRST - SEE YA IN COURT A**HOLES!! :mad:

6th May Letter - confirmation of payment for MAYS PAYMENT DUE!!!!!

Thats all so far :D

Ladidi

I have just phoned the courts to advise we do not agree to any such adjournments and we will be attending court on the day in question :p

Court usher has made a note onto the files for the judge to see :D

Ladidi

:grin: told you they'd try and pull out.....

Ell x

Yea they trying to pull out with our consent so that they can still put on their so called charges onto our account.. NOT GONNA HAPPEN :mad:

By the time we done I reckon they are going to be owing us big time. also we have still had any kind reply to our complain we filed :confused: So god knows what they doing there...

But all the time it takes them to reply the more ammuniton we have for the 14th May...Judge is sooooo not going to be happy with this lot..me thinks :p

Ladidi