Need advice on living arrangements

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4724 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Firstly, sorry, this may be long.

My 32 year old Daughter had a breakdown in January and has been diagnosed with severe anxiety, severe depression, and now they are also looking at post traumatic stress disorder-stemming from a 15 year physical and emotionally abusive relationship. My Daughter has 3 children 7, 11 & 13. The thirteen year old is or maybe I should say was very violent towards my Daughter, he has also smashed windows, car headlights, pulled doors off of wardrobes-he is a very angry boy. we feel, as do social services, this stemmed from what he witnessed when he was younger.

Since my Daughters breakdown she and the children have been living with me, under the care of a psychiactric team, who have recommended that I apply for carers allowance, although at the moment I am not sure wether I am in a position to do so. She is fearful of going back to her own home and cannot look after the children on her own in her current mental state-this has been confirmed by authorities.

My 21 year old Son is currently mentor for my 13 year old grand son, who, has, thankfully, since they have been here has calmed down alot, I think he knows he cannot physically abuse her here as there would be consequenses that my Daughter cannot implement. My Son is also a positive male influence in the lives of the two younger ones, which they are not used to, as even since my Daughter finally got rid of her ex, still have witnessed his agression (the ex) The younger children have also said that they do not want to return home as they realise what a happy home should be, my 11 year old grandson broke down to me and said that he is glad they are here as their house has bad memories for him, he was recalling incidents that he had witnessed at their home, and I am sad that it has affected my Grandchildren in this way.

My own Husband left me last October to be with another woman, and has filed for divorce, I am going to have to sell my house-I am worried witless as to where we are all going to end up living. I have to be with my Daughter and the children as this could be long term, or may arrise again in the future (she has been through a hell of alot)

If I sell my property and give my to be ex husband his share I will probably be left with about £ 40,000.

I cannot get another mortgage on my own as I am 55 and only work part time and have to care for my family. If I rent a house privately for all of us, the £40,000 will not last for very long. What happens then?

It has been suggested to me by my Grandsons keyworker that I should contact the local authority to see if they would be able to re house us altogether, due to the fact that I am caring for my Daughter and the children and also that my Son is acting as my Grandsons mentor.

Does anybody have any advice as I am really worrying about their future.

• 1 month later...
Firstly, sorry, this may be long.

My 32 year old Daughter had a breakdown in January and has been diagnosed with severe anxiety, severe depression, and now they are also looking at post traumatic stress disorder-stemming from a 15 year physical and emotionally abusive relationship. My Daughter has 3 children 7, 11 & 13. The thirteen year old is or maybe I should say was very violent towards my Daughter, he has also smashed windows, car headlights, pulled doors off of wardrobes-he is a very angry boy. we feel, as do social services, this stemmed from what he witnessed when he was younger.

Since my Daughters breakdown she and the children have been living with me, under the care of a psychiactric team, who have recommended that I apply for carers allowance, although at the moment I am not sure wether I am in a position to do so. She is fearful of going back to her own home and cannot look after the children on her own in her current mental state-this has been confirmed by authorities.

My 21 year old Son is currently mentor for my 13 year old grand son, who, has, thankfully, since they have been here has calmed down alot, I think he knows he cannot physically abuse her here as there would be consequenses that my Daughter cannot implement. My Son is also a positive male influence in the lives of the two younger ones, which they are not used to, as even since my Daughter finally got rid of her ex, still have witnessed his agression (the ex) The younger children have also said that they do not want to return home as they realise what a happy home should be, my 11 year old grandson broke down to me and said that he is glad they are here as their house has bad memories for him, he was recalling incidents that he had witnessed at their home, and I am sad that it has affected my Grandchildren in this way.

My own Husband left me last October to be with another woman, and has filed for divorce, I am going to have to sell my house-I am worried witless as to where we are all going to end up living. I have to be with my Daughter and the children as this could be long term, or may arrise again in the future (she has been through a hell of alot)

If I sell my property and give my to be ex husband his share I will probably be left with about £ 40,000.

I cannot get another mortgage on my own as I am 55 and only work part time and have to care for my family. If I rent a house privately for all of us, the £40,000 will not last for very long. What happens then?

It has been suggested to me by my Grandsons keyworker that I should contact the local authority to see if they would be able to re house us altogether, due to the fact that I am caring for my Daughter and the children and also that my Son is acting as my Grandsons mentor.

Does anybody have any advice as I am really worrying about their future.

If your daughter has had an abused relationship and she had to leave her home she should apply to her local authority and will be in priority need to have a social housing because of the violent abuse, severe depression and the children which are all under 16 years of age. I am not sure about you being re-housed with your daughter because if you are still living in your property they might not consider you as homeless but your daughter should be ok. Please, please do get help before you approached Housing Aid, I am helping my friend who is homeless and has been staying with me since August last year we've been through hell and back because the council will not accept she is priority need she too suffer from severe depression and anxieties.

Get in touch with Shelter for starters.

Good luck with re-housing.