Is it a good idea to ask for a SAR?

jadeybags
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4767 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Would really like to know why my housing benefit was stopped last year. They wouldn't tell me at the time. Just said they thought I had been over paid but I hadn't. So it was started again.

I also had an over payment letter in november last year of 120 or so pounds, as they said my tax credits had gone up, yet twice I rang them after that to ask what I now needed to pay towards my rent & was told nothing had changed. Which obviously didn't make sense. Xmas came & went then at the start of feb is when the compliance officer came out to do a review, so I never did find out what's what.

Does a SAR tell you EVERYTHING they have looked into since your claim started, or can they leave bits out. In which case I guess there is no point me asking for one.

And because I am no longer claiming housing benefit, can they refuse?

An SAR should produce all data which they hold on you.

They may rely upon some excluded categories but by and large they should provide everything

An SAR should produce all data which they hold on you.

They may rely upon some excluded categories but by and large they should provide everything

And I can still ask even though not claiming anymore?

Wont cause any harm asking for one?

Yes, you can make a SAR even if you're no longer claiming - they clearly still hold data about you if they're saying there's been an overpayment. They can't refuse on those grounds.

You're entitled to information as per the Data Protection Act, and the fact that you choose to exercise your rights can't be held against you. So I can't see what harm it can do.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Yes. You can ask for a SAR at any point where data is held on you whether your dealings with the organisation are over or not.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)