Council Tax Advise - Do I have to pay!?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4780 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

I am a student - I moved into a shared house 6 months ago and did not inform the council I was moving - I figured it would make no difference as I had an exemption certificate for the last place so do not have to pay council tax.

The person who had my room last did pay and my household did not remove him from the list of people living here.

Now the council have sent us letters asking for his share of the council tax - but he does not live here.

Will they fine me for not letting them know I live here - even though I am exempt?

My house'mate' says she will "see me in court" if I don't pay the share - but I think she is just threatening me so she pays less. Surely court costs would be much more than a £150 council tax bill?

Should I talk to the council - or the CAB... I am worried as my finances did not allow for this in the year :| Maybe a fine for not letting them know I was here would be cheaper than actually paying the bill I should not have to in any case?

Thanks

if you are a full time student, you are not liable to pay council tax

are all the tenants students? or is there a mixture of students and non students?

does the owner live in the property?

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.

ok you might not have followed the 'rules'

but as you've guessed, you are not liable anyhow being in fulltime? education so exempt.

as the ctax bill is not in your name...not your problem

pers i'd write back informing them that the named person on the bill moved out in XXXXXX

and you have been there since XXXXXX

a small apology from you for not informing them you were there wont go amiss too, and p'haps a copy of your old exemption cert etc

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...