style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4746 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Properties should be assessed against the decent homes standard. If they fail to meet the standard then work should be carried out to bring the property up to at least the required standard.

If the property meets the standard there is no obligation to carry out any works.

The Government has changed the funding recently though so I think a lot of organisations will be finding it hard to do all the work required or to keep to their current programming.

For instance the ALMO I work for had been promised all the money we needed and the program was due to be completed by the end of 12/13. However, because of the changes made we had to reapply for funding. We have now not been given the full amount we need, the amount that has been given is now stretched over 4 years (I think) so we can't complete the work in the next 2 years as was planned and only the funding for the 1st 2 years is guaranteed at the moment.

Properties should be assessed against the decent homes standard. If they fail to meet the standard then work should be carried out to bring the property up to at least the required standard.

If the property meets the standard there is no obligation to carry out any works.

The Government has changed the funding recently though so I think a lot of organisations will be finding it hard to do all the work required or to keep to their current programming.

For instance the ALMO I work for had been promised all the money we needed and the program was due to be completed by the end of 12/13. However, because of the changes made we had to reapply for funding. We have now not been given the full amount we need, the amount that has been given is now stretched over 4 years (I think) so we can't complete the work in the next 2 years as was planned and only the funding for the 1st 2 years is guaranteed at the moment.

Thanks for your reply, my question relates to say if the tenant did not wish to have the works done, is there any legal obligation to have it done. I have been told by two different depts of the same council two different answers so really would just like to know one way or the other. many thanks..

Why do you not want the works done?

The Council has a duty to maintain/repair their properties so if this work is needed I don't think they will be able to just accept that you don't want the work done.

I know the ALMO/Council I work for has had to take legal action in the past against a few tenants who have refused to have works done/not allowed entry to workmen.

Most, if not all, Councils will have a clause in their tenancy agreement and leases that states something about the tenant/leaseholder must allow repair works to be carried out, etc.

Why do you not want the works done?

The Council has a duty to maintain/repair their properties so if this work is needed I don't think they will be able to just accept that you don't want the work done.

I know the ALMO/Council I work for has had to take legal action in the past against a few tenants who have refused to have works done/not allowed entry to workmen.

Most, if not all, Councils will have a clause in their tenancy agreement and leases that states something about the tenant/leaseholder must allow repair works to be carried out, etc.

I could understand wiring which would be a safety issue but say we are talking about an upgrade on a kitchen and baring in mind this could take approx two weeks with work men going in and out all the time.

For some people this might prove to be quite stressful and rather be left with what they have than go through any upheaval, hense the legal question..

Hello,

I can advise that whilst it would be in your best interests to have the work done, you do have the option to decline. The only thing that you have to allow access for is the stautory work i.e. Gas Servicing. Failure to allow thsi will result in court action!!

In my experience it would be rather draconian for the landlord to insist that you have the work done, what they should perhaps do is advise you of the benefits of having the work done, for example explaining that the house will be more nergy efficient, warmer, safer, that the new kitchen will be more user friendly and comply with the HHSRS (Housing health and safety rating system) and remeber you have a choice what colour and style you would like, so the benefits far outway the dis-advantages. But to answer the question they cannot force you.

Hope this helps.

Hello,

I can advise that whilst it would be in your best interests to have the work done, you do have the option to decline. The only thing that you have to allow access for is the stautory work i.e. Gas Servicing. Failure to allow thsi will result in court action!!

In my experience it would be rather draconian for the landlord to insist that you have the work done, what they should perhaps do is advise you of the benefits of having the work done, for example explaining that the house will be more nergy efficient, warmer, safer, that the new kitchen will be more user friendly and comply with the HHSRS (Housing health and safety rating system) and remeber you have a choice what colour and style you would like, so the benefits far outway the dis-advantages. But to answer the question they cannot force you.

Hope this helps.

That was vey helpful, thank you. What I am finding is the implication that it is all a legal requirement and yes the upgrading of the wiring I accept might be. I don't object to any one telling me something is the law but I do object when information requested to confirm what legislation is being refered to, it often goes quite. All i wish is correct information to make an informed decision. What's wrong with that I would like to know..

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Just a quick note about what happened with me and getting work done. They sent a letter out to all of us saying they wanted to come in inspect the house to see what work needed doing and wanted to paint the outside.

My father in law was very ill at the time so we said we were unavailable then, but can rearrange. We didnt hear anything. My father in law sadly passed away and on the day of his funeral workmen were painting the houses accross the road. They told us they would have to look at our house. We arranged then and there for someone to come round the next day. We didnt hear anything again about it.

Im not impressed now as our house looks horrible compared to the nicely painted houses down the street.

So our council doesnt take people to court otherwise we would have gone.

Hi,

Just a quick note about what happened with me and getting work done. They sent a letter out to all of us saying they wanted to come in inspect the house to see what work needed doing and wanted to paint the outside.

My father in law was very ill at the time so we said we were unavailable then, but can rearrange. We didnt hear anything. My father in law sadly passed away and on the day of his funeral workmen were painting the houses accross the road. They told us they would have to look at our house. We arranged then and there for someone to come round the next day. We didnt hear anything again about it.

Im not impressed now as our house looks horrible compared to the nicely painted houses down the street.

So our council doesnt take people to court otherwise we would have gone.

My further thoughts on it is that no doubt it would cost any council money to take such action..