• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

For everyone who feels like giving up - Please read this and take heart x

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2136 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello Everyone,

I have been wanting to post something on the forum for sometime now, but asever, life gets in the way and today I had a bit of an excuse (having had some good news).

(Moderators please feel free to move this to a better section - if there is one for this)

Just over 2 years ago, my family could no longer afford to pay the substantial unsecured debts we had incurred over the years. Due to several sets of circumstances, our income fell dramatically and we found ourselves on the phone to the CCCS, on a cold & dark December day. We had struggled with making payments on all our crecdit cards for 2 years previously, so making that first call was the toughest call our family had to make at the time, because we were admitting it was too much for us to cope with (finally).

My hubby spoke with an advisor in the CCCS, a lovely man who put our mind at rest - who understood why he was crying and tried to reassure us about the fear of losing our home. That same day we stopped all the direct debits for our creditors and began the letters offering £1 per month as token payment. Due to our circumstances, the CCCS could only offer us advice, they could not intervene on our behalf because we were too poor (we couldnt afford a payment plan - so we were on our own).

It was during that month and over Christmas that we had to make all the calls to our various creditors to explain our situation and ask them for some help. The thought of this made us both very sick and frightened - these were the institutions afterall - the banks that our country was built on - they owned our home, etc. What followed was a very mixed bag, but mostly a very negative and scary experience. There was no dignity in it and any that we thought we had before was quickly stripped by the ignorant and forceful people in the call centre collections departments - it was like we had stolen money from these individuals own pockets and we were **** in their eyes - Low points include being talked through an affordability list and being told £20 per week was too much money for food for the two of us and our baby. The only exception to the rule in all of this was the people at EGG. My husband again broke down with the lady on the phone (I was bawling my eyes out on every call!) and thanked her for treating him like a human being, without judging him.

The letters pilled in, so did all the calls - to our home and mobiles. Threatening voicemails and the infamous 'doorstep' collection letters - those were the worst! To say we lived in fear of the door knocking was something most people in debt will understand. Blinds were pulled, doors double locked, we didnt go out etc. The fear of our neighbours finding out aswell was humiliating and ever present as they threatened that they would speak with our neighbours to confirm we lived there.

The CCCS did arrange for us to have a counselling session with a member of theirs on the phone, someone who has been through it before and was going to offer us real advice. What a nightmare that was. We ended up with a lady on a powertrip, whose advice to us was to immediately declare bankruptcy and that we would most probably loose our home. She offered no other options for us, in her eyes we had too much debt, not enough income to offer anything other than token payments to our creditors and we just needed to get rid of our home and start again somewhere. She was very cold and cut and dry and that call left us again with great fear for our families future.

Then one day not long after this call, while looking through the MSE web site, we read about CAG. To say our lives changed that day was an understatement. I dont think we will ever be able to truely thank those people who helped all the way along - but if you are reading this and are finding yourself with no other options - please post on this forum! Even if its just to vent your fear or frustration, someone will be along who understands and has been there themselves.

Back then, everyday was a lifetime. The postman carried a second bag with all the threatening letters just for us! (joking, but it felt like that some days!)

Having found CAG we found our voice - and knowledge is a very powerful thing. Going from being fearful of the letters that came through the door, we began to respond to each (every day) and started to specifically ask for paperwork we found out through CAG that they should have.

Credit Agreements and SAR requests were the initial requests - followed up by CPR requests to everyone, as none of our creditors could comply within the presribed timeframe. Some did try as can be seen on our threads, but almost everyone had next to nothing enforceable, with a couple of exceptions.

For nearly 9 months we went back and forwards with these people, keeping up a pace with them. During that time we even had a face to face with some senior Bank officials as they managed to mess up our SAR and provided us with a long list of other members personal details! Their answer to help us was to offer them a voluntary charge on our property - something which we declined as again, they had no proof of any CA and owed us as much in charges as we owed them!

Just around the time we started to feel on top of things finally, we had some personal family problems - which in turn lead to my hubby ending up in hospital with a serious stress related illness (not helped at all by all the debts). This was a huge lowpoint and we were lucky not to have lost him to this. What followed was months of recoperation for him and during that time we had to simply back off. Losing our family to these people and stress was not going to happen and we decided to ignore all the letters now, simply making our token payments as we had been.

Our first year of debt management came and went and the letters continued to come. Some are very humurous when you step out of the fear and read them - especially those when the creditors ask you to take their word for it, the debt is enforceable, even with no proper documents! :roll:

During this time we were also dealing with my mums creditors as she suffers mental health problems and has substantial debts also. Early on with her, CAG's advice managed to help us get a PPi refund which covered a Santander debt and wiped it out.

Given her state of mind, we requested that all of her creditors consider writing off her debts - which none of them did (nor responded to our requests). We made a couple pro-rata offers, which was also ignored, so we decided the best course of action was to ignore the letters and to this day not one of her creditors has receieved a payment from her.

Around the time of my hubby's illness, we sought professional help. Not being in a position to pay for legal advice isnt a negative thing and legal aid is there for those who need help. As it stood we were getting all the advice we needed day to day from CAG, but we were trying to prepare ourselves for the worst case scenario as neither of us could deal with a day in court at that time.

We ended up with a wonderful lady solictor, quite senior in the field of commercial litigation. She was able to confirm that should we ever be challanged by our creditors, they we would be able to fight back with legal aid on our side - and that without the right paperwork, the creditors would struggle.

At that time we both decided to stop paying the token payments. This was huge as it was a sign of pride to us that we were at least paying something. Most of our creditors refused to accept this (although were still cashing the cheques!) so we decided we had to take a chance.

Then the letter began to slow down, from ten a day, to one and then one every month. These days (over two years since we first stopped our DD's) we get almost no letters at all. No phonecalls (these were dealt with really well with the help of CAG), although we do have a funny door step collection story.

The biggest fear we had was of these doorstep collectors - those little yellow and red cards telling you someone would be calling on a non-specific day at a non-specific time to discuss your account did not fill us with excitement. The thought of a showdown in front of our neighbours with someone shouting the odds about our personal lives filled us with dread.

But we never had one visit. Until this year...

Having just returned from visiting family for a few days, we arrived home to find our heating system had been destroyed due to the severe weather. No heating and a possible gas leak - nightmare. We started to read through our letters while waiting for a gas man and amongst them was a yellow note telling us someone had called in our absence. This was from a company already warned by us many, many times not to call to our doorstep, using the various standard letters on the site. Very angry my hubby read it out, telling me that this guy was calling back the following day.

5 minutes later there was a knock at the door. My hubby opened it, and outside stood a gormless looking older man who asked for my hubby by name. He asked who was asking and this man identified himself, wanting to come in to discuss his account situation.

Well it was like to years of fear and the frustration of our home being wrecked on our arrival home was focused purely on this poor man. My husband blew a gasket and verbally bounced him from our doorstep, threatening him with the police if he didnt clear out immediately (it helps we have neighbours who are police officers aswell!). Well the look on the guys face was priceless, because it was clear he used his size and demeanour as a tactic to try and make people fearful - and it simply didnt work! :madgrin: I told my hubby he was too slow and should have made it clear to the fleeing man that we didnt have a doorstep for him to collect, but it was lost on him by that stage...

And that brings us up to this week, when one of our creditors (well, a DCA who claims they have been assigned the debt) has finally admitted they will no longer be able to enforce the debt because they cannot find the Credit Agreement. Its just taken them over a year to admit this, but it was worth it in the end.

I guess the point of this thread is for everyone who comes onto CAG in despair and without hope. WE HAVE BEEN THERE - YOU ARE NOT ALONE! Please dont give up, you simply dont know how things will pan out at this stage. Please ask on this wonderful forum if you are unsure or scared - we have spoken to some wonderful people on here over the last couple of years, people who have shared their experiences to help us. This is our short response which we hope will help anyone who feels they have no options.

Our lowest point was being told that we HAD to declare bankrupcy - which would probably have meant we would loose our home, our families only security. 2 years on, we are still here, and our family is sticking with it.

We have stayed offline for quite a while because we had to try and go it alone - plus there were people like we were at the start who needed the Cagger's much more than we do now. However, I hope we can in some small way come back online and simply be there for those who like us, were scared and just needed someone to tell them it would be ok.

It will be ok folks - take heart and ask on here is you are ever in need of help.

Thanks for sticking with this and reading to the end.

Love,

Mr. & Mrs. Meerkat xx

• Haha 3

I'm lucky enough not to have debts, but I came on here years ago re the bank charges, and well, I couldn't believe what I was reading!

I worked for over 29 years as a social housing officer, the last job being with people who were really up against it in life. This site was invaluable to me in helping them help themselves! And the extra knowledge it gave me was great as well. I told all the support workers to use CAG and I know many of them did.

I'm lucky enough to be out of the rat race now, albeit a bit early, but hey, that's a bonus! But I still continue to help all my friends. Because of CAG I am confident to make a complaint if I have to and see it through. Ooh hoo ching ching several times chaps! I like a good complaint now.

Most days I have a quick glance at "new posts" to see if I can help or learn, or just support. If I have a problem or question I know where to ask it!

CAG is great. I'm pleased you feel in control now, op, and I hope anyone just starting out on the lonely path of debt clearing can take heart from what you've written.

Hi

Thank you so much for sharing that with us. A truly inspirational post.

I think the underlying message to creditors is to treat debtors like people, not something on the bottom of their shoe. If a creditor was to show compassion (empathy even) then I'm sure they would get paid more (even if it took longer)

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Hi meerkatsmimm.

I read your post to the end. A very sad story but very inspirational to others who will read it. I thank you for sharing it with us here on CAG.

Debt is that ugly word that brings with it shame, embarrassment and isolates us into a lonely world, for whatever reason.

You are right in saying knowledge is power and it enables us all to take control again.

The community here on CAG has given me, as well as so many others, the confidence to take back that control.

Everybody on CAG has their own story to tell but they are united in that they are here to get and offer unconditonal help and advice to others.

I wish you and your family well x

Keep up the fight against Bank Charges.

Got Debt problems?

Don't panic, put the kettle on and read this

:-) Everything I write comes from my heart and head! The large filling cabinet that is my knowledge of life, however warped that may be!! :-)

<<< Please tickle my star!! if I have managed to help you or just made you chuckle!

Yes, very inspirational. Thanks for sharing.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

That was wonderful to read and i am so pleased you have gotten a grip on everything :-)

Thank you for sharing your story, posts like these are a source of strength for newcomers like myself. Good luck

I'm glad things are so much better for you. This site really can empower you to take control as Night Owl said.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

• 2 weeks later...
stupid question - ikea/ikano have informed cra's that my account has been settle and satifactory since may last year - can they change this and why would they have made this mistake and not noticed by now?

mkm xx

I dont quite understand the question, meerkatsmimm :(

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

My ikea/ikano account is showing on my credit file as satisfactory and settled. This has been since may last year.

I've not settled or paid the account, so I just wonder how long a court would allow them to have noticed this error if that is what it is.

Can they now decide 10 months on that it isn't settled and change that with the CRA's?

Xx

I wouldnt have thought so ! Can you take a screen print of the information, just in case they try to amend it.. then you can ask why ? :)

BCOBS

Seems a bit out of order if they are showing you account as settled to be asking for money !

BCOBS

• 2 months later...

Great post and very comforting. There has been many a time when i thought my debts were insurmountable and all seems hopeless, but coming onto this site has given me hope and inspiration. There are some fantastic people on this site who give some great advice.

i fell sorry for people with money probs . i to am in it up to my eye balls . my only defence ive made a lot of mistakes .and i am sick of living life on the edge . so ive stopped the mortgage payments stopped the secured loan payments . and thought you know what they can have the house im 35 years old and i will get over it and im no longer stressed

• 4 weeks later...

To Mr & Mrs Meercat.....what a truly inspirational post....thank you for taking the time to type it all out. This morning after 7 long years on a DMP I decided to tackle my debtors by phone regarding F&F settlements. The money available is no where near the 26k I owe. I actually found that some of the anounts on my DMP where incorrect and today I saw 500 pounds come off my DMP amount....a step in the right direction to me.

I just wanted to share with you all.....today I spoke to M&S, Moorcroft, Lowell, C L Finance, Blackhorse, Barclays Partner Finance and Robson way. I cleared my debt with M&S for half the amount I owed, the lady explained in detail it would be on my credit file for 6 years and only marked as partially settled but the debt was finished and the account closed. As my credit file will be in tatters anyway I decided to settle there and then.

Moving On....Moorcroft. I spoke to a lovely gentleman who was respectful, helpful and above all treat me like a person and not ****.

Lowell, where ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE.....rude and very unhelpful...no shock there.

CL Finance spoke to me respectfully but where NOT at all willing to knock alot of money off for F&F's. My biggest debt with them been 14k, only prepared to go to 12k also other debt with them for 798 pounds where only prepared to go to 702 pounds.

Blackhorse where very free with their advice....not very free in offering alot off for a F&F

BPFinance wouldn't even discuss my own debt in detail....making some excuse that I should really correspond in writing....i actually said I THOUGHT barclays where a big company

Finally onto Robson....the girl there actually asked me my BANK DETAILS!!! Can you believe that!!! I said that had nothing to do with my query and ended the call.

After a very long day and in discussion only I would only be able to settle my 26k debt at 22k!!!! I was hoping for much less than this and have posted this to say I feel fed up and very alone. I was full of fear and hope this morning....hoping that I would be able to shave bigger F&F's off these debts.....are these people getting wise to people asking for discounts.

I am TOTALLY down in the dumps....I thought these people wanted to collect and get you off their books.....I was wrong, they will hold on for as long as possible to collect your debt. I have a further 6 years remaining on my DMP and god knows where I'll be then.....but I am already very depressed.....hope these people don't make me do something silly because believe me I have considered it!! :oops:

Hi Butterfly and welcome to CAG.

Can I suggest that you don't leave it there. Why not follow up your phone calls with letters? We always suggest on CAG that you do everything in writing. I suspect that people on the phone will be limited in what they can offer as F&F, so why don't you write to them with an amount that suits you. There are a few posts here showing how much some have accepted as F&F.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?289378-How-Much-Have-You-Had-Accepted-as-a-Full-and-Final-Settlement

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

• 2 weeks later...

Thankyou Mr & Mrs M and well done for coming out otherside ! I came across this site when I found

voluntary places like CAB etc not knowledgable enough for my situation. This site is invaluable. I must

admit though I feel guilty when I worry about my own problems, some people on here are a lot worse

off. Thank God for those on here that do know their stuff. I wish someone would post something I knew

loads about. I also check new posts in the hope they will.

I wish someone would post something I knew

loads about. I also check new posts in the hope they will.

I am sure there will come a time when someone will post and you can say.. "Ooh, I can answer that" :) In some instances, people just want to know that they arent alone in the "debt world" so a friendly hello can make things not seem so bad. :)

BCOBS

I don't pretend that I know most of the answers, but sometimes it can help to ask questions, especially if there isn't much info. Even if I don't know how to deal with the situation it can start the ball rolling, and as CB says, help peeps feel that they aren't alone. :-)

None of us can know everything some of know a lot,some of us know nothing.

some of us know a little together we can be wise.:madgrin:

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

• 2 weeks later...

Im happy for you its never easy dealing with debt collecters at the best of times and god knows they tend to be ignorent even when youve got good reasons,why you shouldnt pay any money such as a dispute with the crediter theyre acting for believe me i know and because of that ive looked into the guidlines from the oft

and for future reference and anyone whose unfortunate enough to be on the recieving end of them dca`s are not allowed to just turn up at your door and if they do if you tell them its not convienant they have to go away without question and pre`arrange a time that suits you other`wise its harrassment the same applies

to a barrage of phone calls and again they are obliged to respect your right ether to call at a time that suits you or not at all if you tell them letters only and,as 4

talking to neighbours thats well illigal `pardn my spelling ... trust me they can get into hot water for that and i`ll bet they never put that in black and white to you

coz if they did your entitle to register a complaint to the O F T and theyd get theyre knuckles wrapped .. i dont know if im allowed to post links or upload here as

im fairly new here and ive not done any posts here but i hope i can point people in the direction to two pdfs from the oft on the guidelines for collecting debt and,

whats legal and not legal when designing those famous debt letters that they send out to countless people in debt through no fault of theyre own and, those like me who on the recieving end of companys who will go to any lengths to avoid their ain faults whatever they might be,,ps your an inspiration to keep fighting ms meerkat loads of respect to you ... crazydj:-)

debt-letters.pdf

oft664.pdf

• 6 years later...