• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Egg

maddyrose1664
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6448 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have submitted a claim to the court re egg's charges. I'm only claiming about £140 plus costs. Today I found out that they intend to defend the claim.

I was so ready to kick arse before but now I'm a bit worried. Should I follow the claim through and what are my chances of success?

Follow it through - read the other posts which show that they sometimes 'say' they will defend, and then mysteriously fail to submit any!

If you receive their defence, however, simply get in touch with the site staff (BankFodder or Dave) and they will guide you through it.

It need not be scary!

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Go for it!! We are all here to support you, good luck!!

Advice & opinions given by Woolfie are my own, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Guest Lueeze

Yep, Dont back down...

They use scare tactics to stop you from claiming!

If you back down you will loose the claim and the costs....

Everyone is behind you, just have faith

Good Luck

xxxx

Yes - hang in there. If the bank kicks you, you kick them back, but twice as hard. Good luck.

Alecto, Magaera et Tisiphone: Nemesis on Earth is come.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Maddy, copy the wording of the defence and post it back here. I will get site staff to look over it and let you know what to do next.

There is no need for you to worry about this - Egg will not want to show evidence of the costs they incur, which they would have to do if they followed through with their defence.

You have to remember that they will do their best to put you off - because it will save them a small fortune.

DON'T PANIC !!! We will help you.....

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Was it exactly the same counterclaim?

The general consensus is that if they intend to counterclaim their costs they will have to prove how much these costs are. This would clearly be a lot less than the charges anyway.

That is why we are so surprised at the counterclaim - No bank or credit card company has ever given any evidence to anyone as to have much their costs are for unpaid DDs, late payments etc for obvious reasons.

If you found this post useful please click on the scales above.

Egg - £400 - Prelim sent. On hold.

Mint - On the list Est £800

GE Capital - On the list (3 accounts!) Est £4000

MBNA - £545 Prelim sent 13/11/2006

LBA sent 1/12/2006

£350 partial payment received 18/12/2006.

Full settlement received 20/1/07

NatWest - Est £4000 not incl interest

Data Protection Act Sent 10/1/07

Statements received 24/1/07

Prelim sent 3/2/07

Full Settlement received 22/2/07

The contents of this post are the sole opinions of The Cornflake and not necessarily the opinions of any other members of this group. They do not constitute sound legal or financial advice and if in doubt you are advised to seek advice from a qualified professional

I assume the court costs were 30(?) quid.

That is all you stand to lose, if it went to court and you lost - which is not very likely in my opinion - judge is going to see that the charges are punitive without a doubt, in my mind.

Also, think about the cost to the bank - their solicitors, the paperwork etc...

PLUS, if there was a 5% chance that they would lose (and I belive it to be about 99.5%) then the risk would still be too high for them. If (and when) they lose, their charges will be deemed unlawful - which means, for one thing, that they will have been seen to have concealed the true nature of the charges - and thus, opening the door for not only everyone else (due to the publicity that a case like this would enevitably attract) - but for everyone else REGARDLESS of the limitations act - i.e. people could claim back form many, many years - not just the 6 years as specified by the limitiations act - because they will have been proven to have deceived people into believing that they were entitled to the charge money, when in fact they wern't.

It's my guess that you will see the £140 quite shortly, along with a letter stating that it's not worth their while defending as it would cost more than that to do so, even though they still beleive that their charges are fair etc....blah....

They're just trying to scare you off - they know (or at least it's my opinion ;-) ) that they would lose and the repercusions of them losing are far wider than you just getting your money back.

See it through - see it as a fun game - I bet their directors do when they all stand around at cocktail parties congratulating themselves on making ANOTHER 3 Billion quid from the charges.

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

Add me as your friend on FaceBook - I need all the friends I can get :-(

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577405151

------------

• 2 weeks later...

Forum clean up - your claim threads have been merged. Please try to keep all posts about your claim to a single thread only. Thanks :)

Alecto, Magaera et Tisiphone: Nemesis on Earth is come.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

This morning I have had the defence and counterclaim paperwork. Signed by the same chap as ANNALH.

Did anybody decide what this meant?

Can you please show the wording here, then the site staff can help you to proceed.

Thanks!!

Ok, here goes.

1. The claimant entered into an Egg Card agreement (the "Agreement) with the Defendant on 1 June 2004. The claimant is currently in breach of the Agreement and the Defendant has agreed to a scheme of arrangement ("the arrangement") whereunder the Defendant will waive any further interest due on the outstanding balance under the Agreement (£865.46), and the claimant has agreed to pay the Defendant £865.46 at the rate of £1 per month (to be reviewed at the end of six months). The Defendant avers that having agreed to repay the Defendant £865.46 under the Arrangement, the claimant is estopped from claiming that the said balance should now be reduced.

2. It is admitted that charges were added to the claimant's Egg Card during the course of the Agreement. Each charge was made pursuant to the clause 7.1 of the Agreement as a result of insufficient funds being available from the claimant's designated current account to cover the amount of the direct debit due on the Egg Card. Clause 7.1 clearly states:

"If you break the terms of this Agreement we may charge you the following, where relevant, to cover the additional cost to us:

£20 each month you go over the credit limit

£20 if you do not keep up the payments on the account.

The claimant failed to make payments on the account in April, July and November 2005 and charges were added to her account accordingly.

3. It is admitted that the claimant was charged for an unpaid direct debit on 19 July 2005: however, in accordance with the Defendant's policy to only charge one unpaid direct debit default charge per month, the charge was refunded to the claimant's account on the same day.

4. It is admitted that the claimant was charged for exceeding her credit limit on 24 April 2005 and 17 November 2005. Although the charges were added in accordance with the Agreement, as it was the unpaid direct debit default charges added to her account that caused the claimant to exceed her credit limit on these occaisions, the Defendant has refunded both charges to her account.

5. It is denied that the charges are a "disproportionate penalty" as alleged. The Defendant recognises that customers, such as the claimant, sometimes default with their Egg Card Agreements and the Defendant therefore puts in place systems to deal with such defaults. Such systems require computer systems, employees and necessarily incur administration and other costs. The Defendant's charges are calculated on the basis of the total costs incurred by the Defendant in maintaining those systems and the estimated number of customers (such as the claimant) who will exceed the agreed limits on their accounts. The Defendant avers therefore that the amount of the charges applied represents a genuine pre-estimate of the loss and expenses caused to the Defendant in respect of such defaults.

6. Accordingly, it is denied that the charges are unenforceable at common law.

COUNTERCLAIM

7. In the event that the Court finds that the default charge levied on the claimant was an unfair penalty and is thus unenforceable, the Defendant counterclaims for the actual cost to the Defendant of dealing with the claimant's breach of contract in exceeding his credit limit, such costs to be assessed by the Court.

8. The Defendant counterclaims further for all and any other sums which may be due and payable by the claimant to the Defendant as at the date of judgement.

Statement of Truth

Dated this 28 April

I believe that the facts herein are true.

David St Clare Nelson

Legal Counsel

Phew! That's it. Let me know what you make of that. I've only got until until 20th to get my defence in! Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you for that - it is currently being reviewed and we will reply asap.

John

Thats a real foot in the mouth defence and counterclaim. The idiot legal counsel who drafted that is now comitting Egg to proving their actual losses. The very thing that all banks have consistently refused to do - even before the parliamentary commission. Priceless.

I would bet my right arm that you will get your money and that defence will never see a court room :)

As to defending the counterclaim I would do this:

DEFENCE TO COUNTERCLAIM

1. The Claimant avers that the true cost to the Defendant as referred to in its counterclaim is deminimus only since it is the Claimant's understanding that the charges are levied automatically and by computer.

2. The Defendant is put to strict proof of the amount of the actual cost to it of dealing with the particular breaches by the Claimant of her agreement with the Defendant.

3. The Claimant denies that she is indebted to the Defendant in the unassessed amounts referred to in the counterclaim or at all in respect thereof.

Statement of truth etc.

Hope this helps :)

Just to let you know that I too had one of these defence and counterclaim letters signed by same guy. Egg did not pay the fee for the counterclaim part, and were given extra time to pay it. It has now been dismissed as they didn't pay, LOL....

The defence is still going ahead and I am now being sent the allocation questionairre. Maybe it would be worth looking into yours as to whether they have paid the fee yet.......just a worry tactic????

• Haha 1

Woolwich won in court/default removed Barclaycard Settled Halifax settled

Capital 1Settled GE Money Settled

Egg Settled-court action re.default 4th hearing!

Good advice Yasmin - well done!

Just to let you know that I too had one of these defence and counterclaim letters signed by same guy. Egg did not pay the fee for the counterclaim part, and were given extra time to pay it. It has now been dismissed as they didn't pay, LOL....

The defence is still going ahead and I am now being sent the allocation questionairre. Maybe it would be worth looking into yours as to whether they have paid the fee yet.......just a worry tactic????

How do I find that out?

OK maddyrose, the general consensus is as per the post above by rbrears (many thanks) which I will copy here agin for you........

DEFENCE TO COUNTERCLAIM

1. The Claimant avers that the true cost to the Defendant as referred to in its counterclaim is deminimus only since it is the Claimant's understanding that the charges are levied automatically and by computer.

2. The Defendant is put to strict proof of the amount of the actual cost to it of dealing with the particular breaches by the Claimant of her agreement with the Defendant.

3. The Claimant denies that she is indebted to the Defendant in the unassessed amounts referred to in the counterclaim or at all in respect thereof.

Statement of truth etc.

It would surprise everyone if they actually used that defence (i.e. by letting this go all the way) since they would effectively HAVE to produce evidence of their charges - this is the very thing they don't want to do.

Opinion is that the wording etc is only designed to scare you, and anyone else that gets it, into backing down.

If there is anything else you need to know, just post here again.

John (and the rest of the team)!

When I received the defence & counterclaim, there was no allocation questionairre with it. So, Called the court to enquire about the proceedure, that's when they told me that Egg hadn't paid the fee. At that stage court were giving them little extra time to pay it. So I guess if you have received the allocation questionairre, they will have paid the fee. However, if not it's worth giving the Court a call...Best of Luck.

Woolwich won in court/default removed Barclaycard Settled Halifax settled

Capital 1Settled GE Money Settled

Egg Settled-court action re.default 4th hearing!

Just had a thought reading through my defence again.

"3. The Claimant denies that she is indebted to the Defendant in the unassessed amounts referred to in the counterclaim or at all in respect thereof."

I am actually in debt with them and I'm way behind with payments. I have come to arrangement with them though through the cccs so I'm paying them £1 a month. I'm not great at this "legal English" but doesn't that say I'm denying that I'm behind with payments? If so, would it be wise to leave that bit out?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6448 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks