• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Bookworm v Ikea Store Card **WON**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6544 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, all.

Letter typed and ready to go tomorrow. I have my doubts as to whether they will fold without hassle, as they've always been hard-assed bstrds :roll: anyway, and I haven't seen anyone else going for them before... We'll see...

Will let you know as soon as I have response, of course.

xxx

ML

Guest Alison82

I entend to persure a claim against them but no at the moment. I wrote to them in the summer about their charges but they said their was nothing they could do but did refund me £80 out of the £300+ as a goodwill guesture, I was told that they charge £20 every 10 days your payment is late !!

I accepted this then as I didn't know it was unlawful; but I do now :)

Please could you start your own thread please. It is too difficult to follow or to help when things are bundled together.

• 3 weeks later...

Poor little IKEA store card - probably don't even realise that all of this is happening yet

• 2 weeks later...

A classic, even though I say so myself.

Today, 39 days. Still no letter from Ikea.

Since I am not an unreasonable woman, I thought I'd give them a wee call.

To be fair, the chap was lovely.

He couldn't trace the account. Then he found there had been an acount, but with no address or name to link it to us (?)

He then said that they had changed systems a couple of years ago, and old information might have been archived. He would have to e-mail the relevant dept.

That's fine, said I, but just in case things might go slow, may I remind you that you have 1 day left to comply or it's IC time...

Can't say anymore, said he, as I can't see any more info.

Ok, I said, I'll tell you what. I'll give you until Friday. If I haven't got the info with me Monday morning, that's it, can't say fairer than that.

About 1/2 hr ago, my phone rang. 'Twas a lady from Ikea, who'd just got a message about lil' ol' me.

1st, it would appear my letters never got received.

Then, she asked me why I wanted the info.

I happily told her.

She tried to convince me that I had accepted T&Cs, therefore the charges were legit.

I explained to her why they weren't.

She seemed bemused.

She said that if that was the case, then I would have to go after every company that had ever overcharged me.

I said that was the plan, yes.

To be fair, she seemed genuinely convinced of what she was saying and not really comprehending why I should disagree and fight for my money back. (a bit like the people who post here saying we should take better care of our finances) At one point, she said: "Well, maybe I should look at my accounts and see if I have been charged".

So I gave her this forum's address. :D

Anyway, then she said she would have to look for the info I wanted. So I reminded her about 39 days and counting, and she got a bit flustered, saying I wasn't being very fair, and there was no way she could retrieve the info in 1 day. I did tell her that actually, I had kindly left them till Friday. I also pointed out that her company would not have been quite so generous and would have charged me for being 1 day late, as indeed they did in the past. Oh, and when she said she wasn't even sure if they had all the information, I said that should go down a treat with the IC.

I also pointed out that if I did have to go to court, I didn't think that a judge would necessarily accept that not one, but 2 letters had gone astray, and again, that her company wouldn't have done so if it had been the other way round.

I was very polite, very civilised, said time and time again that I had nothing against her personally, and we left it at that, with her being somewhat more flustered, I think, that when she first phoned me.

It would seem, by the reaction I got today, that I am the 1st to claim against them... I did point out to her that I was unlikely to be the last.

Just got phone call from the same lady.

The case has been passed to their legal counsel*, who will be writing to us in the next couple of days... Ooooh, I wonder what that could say? And oooh, I wonder how that's going to look to the IC... :evil:

*Thanks, B/F :D

Guest Alison82

Intresting, sounds like you have got them really scared! Keep us informed, can you post the address that you sent your letter to if possible?

Have just printed dpa request letter. Did they take the full 40 days to give you the info?

If you found this post helpful please click on the scales, top right. Thank you.

If you find this site helpful and if you reclaim your charges please donate by clicking the button at the top of the page

First Direct 1 - settled

First Direct 2 - settled

RBS 1 - claim made 8/5/6

RBS 2 - claim made 8/5/6

GE Capital - counter claim 6/5/6

Halifax - settled 31/5/6

And then some... 40 days were up wednesday and I still haven't got them. I did grant them 2 days' grace, but if I still haven't got it by monday, they'd better be ready for a complaint! They say they never got my 2 letters... mhhh...

Hopefully, as they get more, they'll get better at it!

so do you think I should send recorded delivery then?

If you found this post helpful please click on the scales, top right. Thank you.

If you find this site helpful and if you reclaim your charges please donate by clicking the button at the top of the page

First Direct 1 - settled

First Direct 2 - settled

RBS 1 - claim made 8/5/6

RBS 2 - claim made 8/5/6

Halifax - settled 31/5/6

Well. well. well... Funny how they can go fast if they want to...

Complete with a breakdown of transactions, this is what came this morning: (bold type is added by me)

IKANO Financial Services Limited

Adam House

Players Court

Player Street

Nottingham

NG7 5LN

Mr and Mrs M xxxx

T: 0115 955 1610

F: 0115 978 2256

http://www.ikano.net

23rd March 2006

Dear Mr xxxx

Re: account number xxxx

I write further to your letter of 12 February 2006.Please note that this matter has now been referred to our legal team and all future correspondence should be addressed to Debbie Shannon, Legal Counsel at IKANO Financial Services Ltd.

I have been asked to consider the claim from a legal perspective. I attach to this letter as requested a full list of all charges levied to your account and the dates upon which these charges were made. Upon investigation, all charges were correctly incurred upon default in payment.

Your query rests with whether these charges are penalty charges which would be unenforceable and the cases you quote consider these issues. (You may wish to note that the 2004 Murray decision was actually overturned in the Court of Appeal in July 2005.)

The charges levied to customer accounts are based on our pre-estimates of loss which are incurred when an account goes in to arrears, these do not simply cover a letter being generated and sent as the term "letter fee" implies, they mark the moving of this account into the collections team, the appointment of a payments advisor to consider the account and its history and to make decisions on how to proceed and monitoring

that account until it is no longer in arrears. The costs increase as staff costs etc increase, hence you will see that the amounts of fees are reconsidered and where necessary increased annually to reflect our increased costs.

You may also wish to read the recent Competition Commission report which considered the amount of letter fees charged.

Based upon the above information, unfortunately I cannot recommend a refund of the fees requested as they were correctly incurred and are pre-estimates of loss and not penalty clauses.

I would recommend that you discuss this matter with your own legal advisors or if you do not wish to incur costs in doing so, the Citizens Advice Bureau will hopefully be able to assist you with this further.

If you require any further information in relation to your account, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Yours sincerely

Debbie Shannon

Legal Counsel

Direct Line 0115 9551650

All-righty then...

Was the Murray decision overturned on July 05? Anyone knows? And what of the Competition Commission?

I note that they're going for the genuine pre-estimate/manual intervention angle, which should be interesting, as now, all I have to do is ask for that information. My 1st letter to them was before the template was changed and therefore didn't ask for those details.

What surprised me is that the charges only amount to £80.00, but then I suppose in my memory, it was the cumulative effect of being sometimes charged twice (once by the company, once by the bank). Still, better in my pocket than theirs.

Thoughts, recommendations, advice before I get going?

Well, this is what I plan to send as a reply to the above. Any comments on that?

LETTER BEFORE ACTION

Dear Ms. Shannon,

I write further to your letter dated 23rd March 2006. I am interested to see that you offer as justification the argument that those fees are a genuine pre-estimate of the costs incurred by the company.

In an effort to conclude this matter without having to go to court, I would be grateful if you could provide me with the information on how that genuine pre-estimate is calculated. I would also like you to provide me with a copy of the names/initials of the employees who were involved in monitoring my file, the date and time at which they intervened and in which manner, at what point my account was moved into the collections team (interestingly, it would appear that it occasionally happened on the same day that I actually made a payment (cf: 23/09/02), and all other relevant information as to the running of my account.

I require this information to be provided within 7 days. Should you fail to respond in that time, or should your response be unsatisfactory, I will have no choice but to pursue the matter in court. Alternatively, you may send me a cheque for £ 80.00, which represents the total sum requested.

Please note that if I have to issue a Court Claim, your company will be held liable for the following:

Charges Reclaimed: £ 80.00

Court Fee: £ 30.00

Interest at 8% £ 28.07 (at today’s date, and increasing daily)

Yours sincerely,

Oh, it's good to be right ;-)

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

Add me as your friend on FaceBook - I need all the friends I can get :-(

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577405151

------------

Sounds great to me. They should have fun giving you that information. As if they'd hand it over to another department for one late payment. I personally doubt it.

First Direct 1 - settled

First Direct 2 - settled

RBS 1 - claim made 8/5/6

RBS 2 - claim made 8/5/6

Halifax - settled 31/5/6

• 2 weeks later...

I do, I do... Fresh from the post, here is the response I got today:

Dear Mr xxxx,

Re: account number xxxxxxx

I write further to your letter of 25th March 2006.

I note your request for information on how we calculate our charges, you will appreciate that the charges are based upon past experience of collections profiles, systems and personnel charges and bad debt ratios and all of these relate to the base costs of our business and as such are highly commercially sensitive information not for disclosure. The charges levied to customer accounts are based on our pre-estimates of loss which are generally incurred when any account goes in to arrears based upon this historical information.

Your account entered our collections team as soon as it became delinquent (i.e. no monthly payment was made.) The account was then considered by the Collections team to rate, based on account payment past history and other relevant information, the risk factor associated with that account. Your account was then allocated to a Collections team where it would be kept under regular review by that team until the account is either charged off as a bad debt or returned to normal account function. The names of the individuals within that team are not relevant to your claim and would have varied depending upon who was in that particular team when your account came up for review.

I hope that this helps to resolve your query and I would strongly recommend that you discuss this matter with your own legal advisors or the Citizens Advice Bureau before proceeding with this further.

Yours sincerely

(signed)

*sigh* Oh dear... Guess who'll be on my next Moneyclaim then?

• 2 weeks later...

Happy Easter to ME!!!!

"not cost effective for the business to defend given its small value" bla bla blah... "full refund" "gesture of goodwill", etc....

Well, I did tell them it wasn't, but they wouldn't listen!!! So that's £138 to me, and an opening of the way for others :D .

drinky.gif

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6544 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks