Council Tax Issues - Joint/shared tenancy

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4823 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi - Hope you can help!!

I was living with 3 friends in a house from Nov 09 - Nov 10. Everything went well during the period of Nov - Apr rent, council tax & all bills were paid, and sorted.

However from April 2010 (without my knowing) my friend did not continue to pay the council tax and i've now received letters from baillifs stating i owe the full years amount from Apr10-Apr11 plus costs and to pay immediately.

My question is am I liable to pay the full amount when all three of our names appeared on the tenancy agreement? I'm happy to pay my share therefore am I able to pay a third and the rest be left for them to pay?

I'm also not sure how to determine whether my agreement was shared or joint as i believe the rules regarding liability differs between the two.

I am happy to post my agreement on her for review if requested (minus names etc).

Any help is appreciated!!!

In that case you will all be joint and severally liable for the Council Tax - that means they can chase each person individually and if you happen to be the one most easily available and possibly most likely be able to pay then unfortunately they can make you pay the whole lot. It would then be up to you to try and get the others shares from them. Although they are notlikely to tell you they may indeed have already tried the others and got no where!

PT

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]