CAN I Get any benefits if self employed?

overworkeduk
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4837 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi , i am self employed but not doing very well at all, i just about make the mortgage so id say ive been earning only about 160 a week b. The mortgage alone is 455. So i was wondering is there any help i may be able to get with tax or council tax or anything or as i am self employed am i out of receiving help. Many thanks

Hello there. This is a copy and paste from the directgov website, don't know if it will help or not. There was more that I didn't copy, about what benefits depend on your contributions or not.

Different classes of National Insurance contributions

Whether or not you can claim contributory benefits - and the amount you will get - depends partly on the:

• type of National Insurance contributions you've paid (see the table below)
  • amount of National Insurance contributions you've paid or been credited with

National Insurance contribution classes and what they pay for

Benefit Class 1 - paid by employees Class 2 - paid by self-employed people Class 3 - paid by people who want to top up their contributions Basic State Pension Yes Yes Yes Additional State Pension Yes No No Contribution-based Jobseeker's Allowance Yes No (except for share fishermen and volunteer development workers employed abroad) No Contribution-based Employment and Support Allowance Yes Yes No Maternity Allowance Yes Yes No Bereavement benefits Yes Yes Yes Class 4 National Insurance contributions - paid by some self-employed people - don't count towards any state benefits.

Class 1A and Class 1B contributions - paid by employers only - don't count towards the employee's benefits.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum