Council Tax Query

ericdog
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4852 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi I am on disability benefit and in receipt of housing and council tax benefit. Could anyone tell me if my son, who lives with me has to pay council tax as he only works three evenings a week and earns just under £100 a week. When he started work I sent a change of circumstances letter to the council stating his income and the date he started work. I received a form back in the post several weeks later stating the payment required as zero but I am sure he might have to pay something. Many thanks in advance.

It was only the Community Charge (remember that?) that required individuals to be billed for their council services. Council Tax covers the property in its entirety, to the full cost is levied irrespective of the number of people residing. If you are not receiving a discount for single occupancy, the fact he's living there ad-hoc will not be an issue.

Edited by buzby

If you're receiving dla care component, then you're not liable for any deductions due to your son working - this would mean your zero assessment is correct and you have nothing to worry about. Also if he is still a student, then I belive he's not counted as a non dependant. If you were not receiving dla care component or your son were not a student you wold have to pay a non dependant deduction dependant on his gross earnings.

It was only the Community Charge (remember that?) that required individuals to be billed for their council services. Council Tax covers the property in its entirety, to the full cost is levied irrespective of the number of people residing. If you are not receiving a discount for single occupancy, the fact he's living there ad-hoc will not be an issue.

You are right that Ericdog's son residing with him/her would only affect the amount of Council Tax charged if he/she had previously been living on their own and were claiming the single occupancy discount.

However, Ericdog's query is not about the amount of Council tax charged. It's about the amount of Council Tax Benefit they receive which can definitely be affected if an adult son or daughter lives with the claimant. A non-dependant deduction can be taken from the claimant's CTB - whether it will be or how much depends on the age of the non-dependant, their income, etc.

Leemack is right if ericdog is in receipt of the care component of DLA (or Attendance Allowance) then non-dependant deductions will not be made.

Anybody on CTB that does not declare that they have a non-dependant living with them could face an investigation and possible prosecution for benefit fraud not to mention having to pay back any overpayment.

Thats what I was confused about, he has always lived at home but was previously a student. When he started work I sent all the details of his income to the council and then got a letter back saying the payment was zero. Do you think I should ask them again. He only earns about £100 a month. What difference would this make to the council tax benefit if he has to pay?

Do you receive the care component of DLA or Attendance Allowance? If not then it would be best to go back and check with them that they have calculated the right figure.

It would only be a small deduction. The current fugures for non-depedants deductions for CTB seem to be:

Non-Dependant's weekly income

Amount of weekly non-dependant deduction

Receiving income support or job seekers allowance (income based)

Receiving pension credit guarantee credit

Nil

Nil

Aged 18 or over and not working over 16 hours a week and not receiving income support or job seekers allowance (income based)

£2.30

Working over 16 hours a week and gross income under £178.00

£2.30

Working over 16 hours a week and gross income £178.00 to £305.99

£4.60

Working over 16 hours a week and gross income £306.00 to £381.99

£5.80

Working over 16 hours a week and gross income £382.00 and above

£6.95

Thank you so much for that information. I am not on the care allowance, only mobility. But seeing as my son only earns £100.00 a week he might be near the threshold for council tax benefit. I shall do as you said and contact them regarding how much he has to pay. Thank you.